SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest
KOF XIII: Shen Woo

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 04:18

Official movelist (move names are 100% accurate)

Command moves
fwd .B - SHEN WOO KICK

Special moves
qcf .P - SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE ( .C version chargeable, cancel charge by pressing .B or .D )
QCB .A - SHEN WOO HAMMER
-> qcf .A - SHEN WOO FOLLOWUP
qcf .K - SHEN WOO UPPERCUT
HCB fwd .P - SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP
QCB .C - SHEN WOO REFLECT

DMs
qcf qcf .P - SHEN WOO PUNCH (has an EX version)
.C .A .B .C - SHEN WOO GOES SSJ (costs two stocks)

NeoMAX
QCFHCB .A .C - SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER (thx r3v)

Console changes
* Gekiken Fakeout has faster recovery. It’ll fail if the kick button is pressed too soon.
Gekiken maxed out will chip half the opponent’s guard meter
* Danken(throw) comes out slower. Neither weak nor fierce has invincibility. However, it can be Drivecanceled.
* Danken(reflect) builds up meter on a success. No drive meter buildup.
* EX Fukkogeki>Kouryuugeki has slower recovery when blocked. Completely punishable

Producer Yamamoto says: We’ve did a lot of adjustments to his Danken. The throw version is no longer 1F, but it can be drive canceled for additional damage. Gekiken’s feint has quicker recovery so it can be used to lengthen attack strings.
Movelist Vid
Practical Combo Tutorial
Notes from the official blog:
- EX SHEN WOO PUNCH goes through fireballs, has invincibility
- EX SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP crumples the opponent and allows for followup attacks

Impressions from the FFL guy from the first location test (might be out of date at this point):
- Far standing D has a new animation. A high kick with slow startup.
- Jump D crosses up easier
- QCF+C has slower startup and more lag. The EX version knocks the opponent away.
- EX QCB+A has more range and seemingly faster startup
- QCF+K has small range as usual but the EX version has more range
- QCFx2+P can probably be used the same was as it was in KOFXI. EX version is faster and has full-body invincibility - so much so you can use it as anti-air!
- C,A,B,C DM is present, but no headbutt (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)
- stand C, f+B, QCF+A DC QCF+K DC QCFx2+P is a combo, although this is the same combo that had some tough links in XII. Seems like poor use of the drive gauge (lol)
- It'd be nice if he could do anything from low attacks...

His new far D showed up in one of the videos. It's similar to Iori's far D in that it doesn't angle upwards like the XI and 2K3 far D.
Shen Woo Trial mode

Shen Woo next up, just have to remember and see what is being cancelled and what is being linked. Most of his HD combos will have both options in them and it is easy to get confused.

2. If you have fast hands you can do the grab from a cA, but if you can't you can do cB, then start to do hcb and while doing it you input the cA as you hit "down",then the rest of the move. Does take a bit of practice.

3. Some people will get a cancel they dont want instead of a DM, so you can do jD, cB, qcf~b+A, qcf+A. Basically doing a qcf but pressing "A" as you hit "back" This give you a sA but also give you the first motion of the DM without qcf+A coming out.

5. sA, sC is a link and you just have to practice the timing for it. Start the SDM as soon as you finish the qcf+B inout

6. Have to do the first qcb+A as high as possible, so the followup EX qcb+AC hits high too. The rest will hit if they are high enough. Also, the SDM is a link and not cancelled so timing is strict.

7. cB into cC is a link so just have to practice that. The rest of the combo you just have to see what is a link and what is a cancel. The last DM is a link and not cancelled into so height is needed.

8. You can do qcf+A~hcb+AC to cancel the DM into NM.

9. The last qcf+C has to held slightly to get maximum height so both SDM's hit at the end.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Re: KOFXIII: Shen Woo

Post by Kane317 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 08:42

Combos worth mentioning as per (Technical Reference Guide) (6m51s)

-EX hcb~ fwd .P "crumbles" (a la XII) opponent and allows for one hit follow up.
-EX qcf+ .K hits twice and juggles opponents directly upwards (dunno if you can follow up, presumably you can)

-EX QCB .P , qcfx2 .P DM (2 stocks, ~34% dmg)
-Corner, qcf .K, EX qcfx2 .P DM (2 stocks, ~38% dmg)
- qcf .P , DC qcb .A~ qcf .A (1 DC, ~18% dmg)
-EX qcf .P , DC, qcfx2 .P DM (2 stocks, 1 DC, ~30% dmg)
- QCB .A ~ qcf .A , DC qcf .K , (1 DC, ~15% dmg)
-EX qcb .A ~ qcf .A , qcf .C (hold slightly) (1 stock, 1 DC, ~22% dmg)
- qcf .K , DC qcb .A (1 DC, ~10% dmg)

*- qcf x2 .A DM, MC qcf HCB .A .C NM (4 stocks, 1 DC, ~68% dmg)
*-EX qcfx2 .P DM, MC qcf HCB .A .C NM (5 stocks, 1 DC, ~78% dmg)
*- .C .A .B .C DM, MC qcf HCB .A .C NM (5 stocks, 1 DC, ~90% dmg)

* Note, everytime they Max Canceled, they had Hyper Drive initiated. Wonder if they brought back that requirement...
Last edited by Kane317 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 08:56, edited 2 times in total.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Jun 29, 2010 08:54

Hm we should probably start filling up the threads with character-specific info now that the game is close to release.

*C&Ps his translated blog entry*
Q: Next, let's talk about Shen's special characteristics.

Yamamoto:
He's a power character who specializes in striking attacks. Since he's a character who can leave the opponent no counterattack window by continuing to attack relentlessly, and can cause guard crushes really easily, you can enjoy a 'bulldozer' style of play with him.

Conversely, he has poor anti-air so he's weak when forced on the defensive. If you get close to your opponent, don't allow them to counterattack.

Q: Does he have any moves that were added since KOF XII?

Yamamoto:
By popular demand from the location tests, we've re-added his Danken (Hajiki) (HCB,f+P). In KOF XI it was an anti-projectile move but in KOF XII it was a throw move. The KOF XIII version of this move has two variations - Danken (Hajiki) that serves as an anti-projectile move, and Danken which is still a throw move. Just like in KOF XI, Danken (Hajiki) has pretty potent capabilities - give it a shot and see what moves you can repel with it.

In addition, we've added a far D attack for him. It's a side kick with long range. Since he has very few normal moves with long range (just like Elisabeth) we think this should be a pretty valuable tool.

Q: What about the EX versions of his moves?

Yamamoto:
The EX version of Zetsu! Gekiken (aka SHEN WOO PUNCH) is a pretty useful move for counterattacks. Since it has a lot of invincibility while he moves forward, you can use it to pass through enemy fireballs if you time it correctly. It has enough invincibility to counter a Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi!

In addition, the EX version of Danken (his command throw) lets you follow up with more attacks afterwards.

Q: What's his NEOMAX DM like?

Yamamoto:
It's a charging attack with fast startup called 'Tenshou Bakushingeki'. It connects even in situations where other moves might not. Because of its speed, it's useful as both a counterattack move as well as a combo move.

Yamaguchi:
It's a cool move that really fits the character.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Jul 07, 2010 06:30

Updated the first post with the official movelist. Note that the SSJ super always costs two stocks so it doesn't have an EX version.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 16:40

IT'S SHEN WOO TIME

I just found out something awesome. Not including the headbutt, 2k3 Shen Woo is (almost) back, baby! I was doing all sort of bullshit stuff with Shen Woo, like a SHEN WOO PUNCH at the start of the round (tally of success out of tries: 8 out of 10, satisfaction guaranteed), or the 2k3 blocked SHEN WOO HAMMER into super. Only now you aren't doing his SHEN WOO HEADBUTT, you do it with SHEN WOO PUNCH (same thing essentially at first, uber fast + invincibility, just that you get punished on block :D).

While I'm still rather low on Shen Woo in comparison to XII (no more SHEN WOO UPPERCUTs from light attack), the most improved move is definitely SHEN WOO HAMMER. It comes out fast, it connects after a close C -> SHEN WOO KICK, and it's an overhead. It's also relatively safe on block (after close C->SHEN WOO KICK). You can do SHEN WOO PUNCH after it on block, ala 2k3. In short, it's made of awesome and win. SHEN WOO FOLLOWUP is okay - still got a few times where I accidentally drive cancel by not centering the stick, causing either SHEN WOO PUNCH or SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE to come out (but extra damage is good nonetheless).

Other things of note would be his far D. This new move is much needed to poke farther away opponents. It works really like Iori or Yashiro's far D.

On anti-airs, you're probably restricted to either his low C or his SHEN WOO UPPERCUT. I wouldn't say that either is reliable - low C comes out pretty quick, but it really sucks if it misses or got blocked. SHEN WOO UPPERCUT seems to have that weird XII property where he seems to be somehow invincible when he does that slight turn backwards. It's not instant however, and I never really used it as an anti-air anyway.

On jump attacks, Shen's jump D didn't win against Elizabeth's jump D, but then I don't think anyone would win against her jump D. I would think that you can do jump CD to try fight in air-to-air combats. I need to try out his weak attacks. Also of note is that so far all my jump in attacks aren't connecting to standing C. I don't know why. May be the timing.

SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER is awesome - first time I did it, the dash actually has pretty much full invincibility (I did it on wakeup iirc while the opponent is trying to do something funny right next to Shen Woo)! I don't really have anything other than saying abuse this when you can. Unfortunately I haven't checked out the dash distance.

Glimmerous.Fop
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:People die if they are killed.
PSN:GlimmerousFop

Post by Glimmerous.Fop » Sat Jul 17, 2010 02:25

You can combo into SHEN WOO HAMMER from his fwd .B .
You must use the .A version of SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE to connect from his fwd .B . The .C version does not combo.

Here's a very devastating Drive Cancel combo that I discovered. It deals about 50% damage (!!):
(2 Drive Stocks, 1 Super Bar)
(Jump .C / .D) , .C , fwd .B , qcf .A , DC qcf .B , DC qcf .A , qcf qcf .P

Shen is kinda back to his 2k3 or XI style: you need to maintain the offensive on the opponent... he has very few defensive options available (especially a reliable anti-air). SHEN WOO UPPERCUT seems very unreliable compared to XII.

Has anyone figured out any good crouching combo strings for Shen? The only one I could come up with was:
dwn .B , dwn .B , .B . LoL.
Last edited by Glimmerous.Fop on Sat Jul 17, 2010 02:34, edited 1 time in total.

Glimmerous.Fop

Post by Glimmerous.Fop » Sat Jul 17, 2010 02:33

Forgot to mention that you can build up your super meter by doing repeated .C SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE charge cancels. You'll gain a small portion for each charge cancel. It's quite hilarious, almost a Gato-KOFXI style of building meter when your opponent is downed or far away.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 15:47

Glimmerous.Fop wrote: Here's a very devastating Drive Cancel combo that I discovered. It deals about 50% damage (!!):
Doesn't it cost 50% drive gauge to SC? Unless that last qcf .A -> qcf qcf .P isn't a super cancel.

Max
More power! ...18%
More power! ...18%

Post by Max » Tue Jul 20, 2010 15:53

I've noticed in the videos that once the qcf .P gets fully charged, the DM flash occurs.

Does it really turn into the DM version, or is it just for the looks?

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 17:42

Max wrote:I've noticed in the videos that once the qcf .P gets fully charged, the DM flash occurs.

Does it really turn into the DM version, or is it just for the looks?
It's just for looks. On top of that, I think it causes either guard break or becomes unblockable. I guess I can try it out tomorrow...

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 16:43

More SHEN WOO GOODNESS

qcb+C (dubbed SHEN WOO REFLECT) has the XI property where if you reflect something, you can do another special move immediately afterward. It won't cost you an HD cancel.

It's fairly obvious, but SHEN WOO GOES SSJ is a really great move to get yourself out of a pinch (on wakeup), or if you're stupid like me, empty jump in into SSJ. It's instant like in XII, unfortunately it doesn't do OMGWTF damage like before, I'd say the damage done is probably 20%.

Fully charged SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE (C version) crumples the opponent on block. It allows you to immediately followup afterward as well. There's probably some more stuff from there, but so far I can only do 1 additional attack after that.

Still can't find any combos from weak attacks though.

Glimmerous.Fop

Post by Glimmerous.Fop » Wed Jul 21, 2010 16:48

SonicTempest wrote:
Glimmerous.Fop wrote: Here's a very devastating Drive Cancel combo that I discovered. It deals about 50% damage (!!):
Doesn't it cost 50% drive gauge to SC? Unless that last qcf .A -> qcf qcf .P isn't a super cancel.
It's not a super cancel, just a normal followup juggle from the previous DC qcf+A. Time it right and Shen will hit the opponent just before they land. Works anywhere on screen.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Thu Jul 22, 2010 00:07

PenPen wrote: Still can't find any combos from weak attacks though.
Maybe try some links like kyo cB, sC.....See if he has any of them?

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 00:15

PenPen wrote:More SHEN WOO GOODNESS

qcb+C (dubbed SHEN WOO REFLECT) has the XI property where if you reflect something, you can do another special move immediately afterward. It won't cost you an HD cancel.
Cool, but what can he really do? When I'm reflecting, I'm at least half a screen away. Still this is great info PenPen!
PenPen wrote: It's fairly obvious, but SHEN WOO GOES SSJ is a really great move to get yourself out of a pinch (on wakeup), or if you're stupid like me, empty jump in into SSJ. It's instant like in XII, unfortunately it doesn't do OMGWTF damage like before, I'd say the damage done is probably 20%.

Fully charged SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE (C version) crumples the opponent on block. It allows you to immediately followup afterward as well. There's probably some more stuff from there, but so far I can only do 1 additional attack after that.
I noticed that too, slight correction to your post, SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE (C) fully charge basically Guard breaks the opponent if blocked -->full combo and if it connects it'll crumple the opponent.
The only thing I've found is dwn .A into hcb~ fwd .P. I tried doing dwn .B, dwn .A into the grab but I think I wasn't close enough. Should work.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 19:25

Kane317 wrote:
PenPen wrote:
The only thing I've found is dwn .A into hcb~ fwd .P. I tried doing dwn .B, dwn .A into the grab but I think I wasn't close enough. Should work.
Check if the EX BITCHSLAP has more range.... Also, wasn't crouching B, crouching A -> SHEN WOO PUNCH back from XI?