Ryo Sakazaki (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Mon Apr 03, 2006 09:54

Erm a good Ryo/King/Mary has a very good chance against a KGO team... even a very good one, so keep practicing ^^

I don't know why ppl say mary is low tier though, she's heluva annoying especially that freakin jump and stand C, and her hcbA/C mindgame

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:06

J]-[UN wrote:Erm a good Ryo/King/Mary has a very good chance against a KGO team... even a very good one, so keep practicing ^^

I don't know why ppl say mary is low tier though, she's heluva annoying especially that freakin jump and stand C, and her hcbA/C mindgame
Nope, hude disadvantages.... you havent seen those KGO freaks that I play against. King stands a good chance of beating Gato players but besides that, nope slim chance... I must use my main team of Clark/Ralf/maxima to have a chance to beat them! Whats good about Marry? Shes fun but thats it.. .read my post on the Blue Mary thread...hcb punch is her 2k3 version, not good at all. Ok back to ryo...If you want to do close C... forward+A trick... this is what I do...its a much better mind game:
Do this instead... Stand C then a+b roll cancel to:
-Forward+A if opponent blocks low(slow reaction/crouch blockers)
-Move back then throw if your opponent rolls forward
-dp+kick/Ranbu DM if opp rolls back
-dp+punch if opp tries to poke you at the last second/hop jump @ you

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53

Franz: That costs skill stock tho.

I just want to know if this really old and safe trick is back, cos that would officially make him 2k2 Ryo with more options.

But I also keep forgetting about the cancellable normal stuff we can do. I used to use that a lot against CD Counter whores in 2k2 who liked to kill people with the CD Counter damage (what my friend and I call "Going down the path of the dark side", similar to killing someone with cheese when you have a full lifebar left against them). Nice setup for yummy retaliatory combos at a mere cost of 1 stock (which you essentially break even with the opponent on since they basically burned one stock to lose a combo's worth of life).

I'll see if what you suggested works, however, I don't think that Normal Move cancel roll thing is totally invincible. I remember after the roll finished by someone who was expecting it, meh.

And yeah, Mary's pretty good, better than her 2k3 version for sure, but not TOO much to make a huge difference. She just has a better chance of standing up to other people because of the smaller tier difference between her and the uppers.

But nevermind, this is a discussion about Ryo. I guess I have another question since Jhun was mentioning crouch C's in the other thread - what types of attacks can his crouch C beat and what can't it beat?

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Mon Apr 03, 2006 13:27

Iie-Kyo wrote:Franz: That costs skill stock tho.

I just want to know if this really old and safe trick is back, cos that would officially make him 2k2 Ryo with more options.
But nevermind, this is a discussion about Ryo. I guess I have another question since Jhun was mentioning crouch C's in the other thread - what types of attacks can his crouch C beat and what can't it beat?
1 skill stock is better than when u spend it on QS and pressed that c/d button 2 fast resulting in... nothing...My trick does work but this is not something that you should abuse!!! I warn you,not abuseable!! Do it sparingly as you would perform hcb+K. Stand C to fwd+a trick.. i never try...because these mexican/turkish players keep crouching/standing B me!
I believe attacks that dont hit deep! Such as Ryo's jump C, King's jump B etc etc.. I ve seen them trade hits with deep hitting jump attacks such as Ash's jump D, iori jump C/D, kula jump C besides that his down+c is still the best normal move in the game! The only thing that can eat it alive is... stupidly trying to counter Kula/Oswald's LDM.... sure lose!! :D

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Mon Apr 03, 2006 17:56

Ryo 's normals have higher priority or at least trades with most of the KGO normals, the trick is don't always wait for an opportunity to dpA and avoid doing any special moves unless in a combo...just stand B/dwnB, hop D (I tend to use hopD as an overhead more than his fwdA now) and avoid doing qcfA after a crouching C when blocked (since it leaves you open to escape rolls).

IMO the worst matchup for ryo would be against Kula since it basically comes down to a standing B fest, only she has a better uppercut. Ryo practically blows through anything Gato and Oswald can throw (he even trades with gato's jumpCD) and they don't have anything which can stop a well timed dpB (unless they have stock and are fast enough to do a DM). If you see Gato qcbA air dash, its an almost guarenteed combo after a parry (or just dpA).

Mary is more of a slow but methodical pressure character now, the priority on her standC and jumpC is insane. If she goes first, the usual hopB, land, wait a moment, StandC nails anybody trying to hit/throw you. Mixing that up with qcbA grabs is enough to give people fits...

Never do fwdB if the StandC is blocked unless opponent has no stock. Just do a Stand C, wait and see what the opponent does , throwing in an occasional dwn/stand B. If he rolls, stand C is a sure hit. If he jumps, Dyna Swing DM. If its Kula and she's stand B distance away, hcb B occasionally. If he doesnt do anything, run forward and hcbA grab if ur brave or just do a hop C in and repeat.

IMO GO are strong because of their ability to get in close and lay on perpetual pressure.....they don't fare well when they are forced to a distance away. Just watch out for Oswald's dwnD fwdA from far and Gato's sweeps, not getting hit by those pretty much improves your chances a heluva lot (since Gato usually depends on getting that sweep in to close the distance again).
Kula is....another matter :P

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Mon Apr 03, 2006 18:10

J]-[UN wrote:Ryo practically blows through anything Gato and Oswald can throw (he even trades with gato's jumpCD) and they don't have anything which can stop a well timed dpB (unless they have stock and are fast enough to do a DM). If you see Gato qcbA air dash, its an almost guarenteed combo after a parry (or just dpA).
Well... Ryo can't really go offensive on Gato, perhaps he can against Oswald. Ryo could be pretty effective against plain rushdown Gato users. Against methodical/safe play Gato users, I am afraid that he has little to no advantage.

Franz Bonaparta
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by Franz Bonaparta » Mon Apr 03, 2006 18:19

J]-[UN wrote:Mary is more of a slow but methodical pressure character now, the priority on her standC and jumpC is insane. If she goes first, the usual hopB, land, wait a moment, StandC nails anybody trying to hit/throw you. Mixing that up with qcbA grabs is enough to give people fits...

Never do fwdB if the StandC is blocked unless opponent has no stock. Just do a Stand C, wait and see what the opponent does , throwing in an occasional dwn/stand B. If he rolls, stand C is a sure hit. If he jumps, Dyna Swing DM. If its Kula and she's stand B distance away, hcb B occasionally. If he doesnt do anything, run forward and hcbA grab if ur brave or just do a hop C in and repeat.
Thanks for your input, you could have commented my post in the Mary's thread instead. Dont go so off-topic beware of mods lurking around heheh

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Tue Apr 04, 2006 05:05

Erm...nobody really has that many options against a safe Gato user... anyone with safe pokes and a decent anti air stands a much better chance though...and Ryo has them

Violent Ryo
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Violent Ryo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 18:51

Iie-Kyo: Sorry man, cannot agree with you when you say Ryo's parries aren't worth doing.

I've done too many things with parries in all low to high level matches to make opponenets shit their pants.

Don't meant to sound like I am bragging, but I'm trying to make a point.

THere is just so much more punishing damage that gets added to Ryo's game if you become accustomed to using his parries, or at least the f+B, (I am still have trouble punishing consistently with df+B however).

If you think he is top defense now....

Anyway, I've though a lot about uploading match vids showcasing my Ryo, but just haven't got around to it yet...

Recently spent more time with XI.

Liking Ryo in this more and more. But I know I will only be able to master using hcb, f+K effectively when I import the game.

It just doesn't seem as fast as Takuma's f,hcf+P in 2k2, which is why its hard to time for me.

Could not connect hcf+B into dp+A. Is this a confirmed combo?

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 01:26

Upload them, and please tell me what you use to record these match vids. Do you use "real" capturing equipment? Cos cameraphone matchvids aren't that good.

About his hcf + K, dp + P combo, it's the B version of the hcf + K, and the A version of the dp + P. It won't register as a combo, so I don't know if this is a TRUE combo, I even have the galls to thing that the dp + A is OTG-ing somehow (maybe the computer failed to recovery roll and he's getting OTG'd by that). I've had this happen with Kasumi's dwn D, qcf + A, Terry's dwn D, BARNACLE, and many other weird moves...

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu Apr 06, 2006 03:16

Its not a combo....

It hit because the opp/cpu probably recovery rolled forward

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Thu Apr 06, 2006 14:17

I think that Ryo's parries are useful if you got the timing right. I liek the high parry against jump-in attacks at times, it works wonders for me.
Anyhow, I think I discovered something (I read at FightClub, and tried it out myself, so it's not really discovering), but when you're parrying something, you can press B again, and Ryo will glow white. And this seems to extend his parry's duration. I don't think that you can shift from a high to low parry that way, however. I only tried this once.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Apr 18, 2006 20:24

From what I was told, this "white parry" is an SF3 style parry. What happens is when you glow white (someone told me you just gotta hit B after the initial parry is successful for the glow to happen), Ryo will gain invincibility (makes sense, similar to Dan's KORYUUKEN). During this time of invincibility, the parry can be cancelled into ANOTHER PARRY (i.e. now it's possible to parry MULTIHITMOVES that go BEYOND RYO'S INITIAL PARRY ANIMATION) or a special move. The special move will gain the invincibility frames that the initial parry gave, hence almost making it like an SF3 style parry where the parry will put you in an advantageous situation to punish with something that doesn't even have to be that fast.

Btw, as someone mentioned, Ryo's hop D is a bitch. Almost as instant as Kula's hop C. Didn't know how godly it was till I had it done on me by a fellow Ryo player.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Wed Apr 19, 2006 04:45

Iie-Kyo wrote:From what I was told, this "white parry" is an SF3 style parry. What happens is when you glow white (someone told me you just gotta hit B after the initial parry is successful for the glow to happen), Ryo will gain invincibility (makes sense, similar to Dan's KORYUUKEN). During this time of invincibility, the parry can be cancelled into ANOTHER PARRY (i.e. now it's possible to parry MULTIHITMOVES that go BEYOND RYO'S INITIAL PARRY ANIMATION) or a special move. The special move will gain the invincibility frames that the initial parry gave, hence almost making it like an SF3 style parry where the parry will put you in an advantageous situation to punish with something that doesn't even have to be that fast.

Btw, as someone mentioned, Ryo's hop D is a bitch. Almost as instant as Kula's hop C. Didn't know how godly it was till I had it done on me by a fellow Ryo player.
okie, suppose i am to parry Iori's Qcf A X 3. Do I press, forward B, first hit, then press B on the second hit, and B on the 3rd hit, or forward B on the 3rd hit?

So he would just glow after the first parry?

actually, i think it would make more sense if it was, forward B, on first hit press B, forward B again, and press B again on 2nd hit, forward B for the last time and B on the 3rd hit.

if it makes your next move invincible after the first parry, then B. shouldnt one just do a DP A when he starts glowing after the first parry, as to parrying the whole thingy?

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Apr 19, 2006 04:46

The latest Henvoke vids show that after a QS in, Ryo can do QCB+C (juggle), followed by Zanretsuken as a finisher.