KOF XIII General Discussion/Rant Thread

ASH ASH ASH BORKEN
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
Re: KOF XIII General Discussion/Rant Thread

Post by PenPen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 15:42

The font seems to screw up the main page.

DarkDreamT2
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:DarkDreamT2

Post by DarkDreamT2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 01:24

Question, is KOF XIII more lenient in overall execution than KOF 2002 UM?

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Sun Nov 07, 2010 01:27

From my experience, yes. But that doesn't mean HD combos are easy, you still need to be FAST.

DarkDreamT2
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by DarkDreamT2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 01:39

Judging from vids, it looks like the general feel leans more torwards CvS2. Am I correct in that assumption? Also, when you HD cancel doesn't it automatically do a forward dash movement? ie. C, BC in this game would be kind of like C, BC -> -> in 2k2?

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Nov 07, 2010 02:02

Yes it does, but there is a discussion about this on DC forums (since they have the game) where they talk about it.
Kane317

They are still there as they were intended to be in the game and are made reference to in the Mook. The roll cancel HD was kinda left field.

---
Interesting discovery on the mechanics of HD bypass (Thanks to Ash for helping me pinpoint what exactly it was was):

-When doing light hit chains into HD, e.g d.B x2, s.B, HD here are the conditions--
1) if you press BC as soon as the s.B hits (early), it'll cause your player to activate HD but auto dash forward so you have to press s.C/D manually.
2) if you press BC a little delayed (late), it'll cause your player to do a s.C

Basically, if you just wanna do d.B, s.A, HD (s.C), --> hit the BC slightly delayed but if you're activating off a far poke like Shen, Iori, Vice etc...you'd want to auto-dash and hence press the BC as early as possible.

---
UPDATE:
Same mechanics apply with strong hits. So s.C, (slight delay) BC yields-->
s.C, BC, s.C (one less input)
So you can make it run but you can also not make it run. in 2k2 you had to run regardless (depending on combo)

DarkDreamT2
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by DarkDreamT2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 03:44

I see. I really cant wait to mess with this game, looks like it'll be easier to deal with than 2k2 UM. Looks just as fun too, and like it has the feel of CvS kinda. Gunna love it.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sun Nov 07, 2010 04:01

Yeah im the same, there are HEAPS of idea i have and want to try but yeah have to wait till i get the game :(

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sun Nov 07, 2010 17:28

DarkDreamT2 wrote:I see. I really cant wait to mess with this game, looks like it'll be easier to deal with than 2k2 UM. Looks just as fun too, and like it has the feel of CvS kinda. Gunna love it.
It isn't necessarily easier or harder than 2k2UM, some timings are just different. I'm 3 years out of practice and was actually having trouble pulling stuff like close C (2 hits) > f+A > Power Geyser with Terry in 13 at first, when I have no trouble doing so with the 2k2UM machine next to it.

But on the other hand, Shen Woo pretty much handles the same as he did in XI, and Leona's crouching B > crouching A links easier now, so you don't have to time it anymore. Iori's close C > f+A > qcf,b+P still works like I remember it, but I couldn't time Robert's C > f+B > Ryuko Ranbu.

I find trying to chain HD combos to be easier than 2k2 MAX mode combos though due to the automatic rolling. I was bad at the Quick MAX activation combos, though the actual MAX mode combos weren't too bad, so having the auto roll, then chaining another hard attack after was a godsend to me. It's fairly easy to do HD mode combos if your character has a large move list like Mature or Takuma, but with smaller move list characters like Iori, your HD combo capability comes from HD canceling two moves in rapid succession, and those require fast fingers, calm nerves and good timing.

DarkDreamT2
Charging...35%
Charging...35%

Post by DarkDreamT2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 02:50

I see. Interesting! Thanks Tel. Imma keep playing 2k2 UM(Fun Factor over 9000), and I guess it'll help with everything. Im okay at it, just not good with the combos and maxing out damage potential yet. The timings in KOF are stricter than other 2D fighters, so I gotta get used to it. Still, can't wait for XIII. Kyo, Ash, Buster Wolf Terry, K, Duolon, Kim, Joe, Shen, Benimaru all in the same game with MAX mode AND EX specials? Sold. Especially since SNK are now officially listening to us. All this game needs is Yamazaki, Gato, and Rock and it'll be perfect.

Gravelneed
I'm not a bot! :3
Currently Playing:KOF 2002UM, Arcana Heart 3, KOFXI, KOF98UM, NGBC, GGXXAC, SMT:Strange Journey

Post by Gravelneed » Tue Nov 09, 2010 22:50

iplaywinner interview with Shinya Morishita of SNK.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/11/9/i ... f-fig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are going to be subs for it soon since it's kinda hard to make out.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:15

Remainder of our AI tourney is finally up:
http://orochinagi.com/forums/viewtopic. ... =30#p70039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---

In other last minute news, a small group of AI peeps will make the 6 hr+ drive to NorCalRegionals to represent on the Stream (we'll get it to work this time), although the 2 fan favorites Reynald and Mr. KoF is most likely not going to make it.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Sat Nov 20, 2010 08:53

They really need someone like this for kof XIII or even SNK in general. Get with it SNKP!!!!

http://shoryuken.com/content/filthieric ... ager-2481/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 09:41

Dark_Chaotix wrote:They really need someone like this for kof XIII or even SNK in general. Get with it SNKP!!!!

http://shoryuken.com/content/filthieric ... ager-2481/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incidentally, filthyrich played in the NCR XIII tourney with us lol. =)

And here's my report:

NCR for XIII was overall a better turnout than SCR.  When we got there there were at least 30+ ppl surround the beauty 46 LCD screen, we noted that we had, if not the biggest, one of the bigger screens in the room.  The "tourney" was a 32 player cut off, with 44 ppl that signed up. Unfortunately, over half the people didn't know it was double elimination and left for whatever reason after losing/playing (I'm talking about maybe 10+ didn't return after playing their first match).  The three of us that represented AI spotted about 2-3 players that kinda knew how to play but disappointingly they left after even winning their first match.  So all in all, it was kinda of a pseudo tourney IMO which explained why we opted not to stream as it wouldn't be entertaining anyways.  

Nevertheless, Ash and I had stone-paper-scissored to see who used the 8 gate joystick (the other was the usual 4 gate) and I lost so I got the 8 gate and Ash sent me to the loser's final (we stopped the tournament afterwards so we could open up the 8 gate and replace it with a 4 gate--it was that bad and in hindsight we should have done it in the first place). Super props to metaphysics for putting on an awesome display (IMO his best gaming as of yet) taking me out to third place, took Ash 2-2 on the finals, and Ash took the last match to be the winner (I did get my revenge on them both afterwards with "Vengeful Chin" muhaha)!  

The TRUE reward of it all, was a huge turnout and interested players (including other pro-gamers) and the increase appreciation of XIII -- can't wait to see what the scene looks like in the coming months.

BIG BIG thanks to Giby and Vinh from http://www.Arcadeshock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and SNK for putting up yet another kickass event and some awesome prizes (much better than SCR's heh); we all got Hori joysticks among other goodies.  Sorry for the brief write up, long weeked with LOTS of driving (I only had 1 or 2 photos which probably aren't worth posting).

Kapwan
Is it a bot?
A.K.A.:So Cal KoF is ON
Currently Playing:King of Fighters XIII, SSFIVAE 2012, Skullgirls, VF5 Final Showdown, TTT2, Gundam vs Extreme, Yakuza 4
XBL:Kapwan
PSN:Kapwan

Post by Kapwan » Tue Nov 23, 2010 01:37

Kane317 wrote:
Dark_Chaotix wrote:They really need someone like this for kof XIII or even SNK in general. Get with it SNKP!!!!

Incidentally, filthyrich played in the NCR XIII tourney with us lol. =)

And here's my report:

NCR for XIII was overall a better turnout than SCR.  When we got there there were at least 30+ ppl surround the beauty 46 LCD screen, we noted that we had, if not the biggest, one of the bigger screens in the room.  The "tourney" was a 32 player cut off, with 44 ppl that signed up. Unfortunately, over half the people didn't know it was double elimination and left for whatever reason after losing/playing (I'm talking about maybe 10+ didn't return after playing their first match).  The three of us that represented AI spotted about 2-3 players that kinda knew how to play but disappointingly they left after even winning their first match.  So all in all, it was kinda of a pseudo tourney IMO which explained why we opted not to stream as it wouldn't be entertaining anyways.  

Nevertheless, Ash and I had stone-paper-scissored to see who used the 8 gate joystick (the other was the usual 4 gate) and I lost so I got the 8 gate and Ash sent me to the loser's final (we stopped the tournament afterwards so we could open up the 8 gate and replace it with a 4 gate--it was that bad and in hindsight we should have done it in the first place). Super props to metaphysics for putting on an awesome display (IMO his best gaming as of yet) taking me out to third place, took Ash 2-2 on the finals, and Ash took the last match to be the winner (I did get my revenge on them both afterwards with "Vengeful Chin" muhaha)!  

The TRUE reward of it all, was a huge turnout and interested players (including other pro-gamers) and the increase appreciation of XIII -- can't wait to see what the scene looks like in the coming months.

BIG BIG thanks to Giby and Vinh from http://www.Arcadeshock.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and SNK for putting up yet another kickass event and some awesome prizes (much better than SCR's heh); we all got Hori joysticks among other goodies.  Sorry for the brief write up, long weekend with LOTS of driving (I only had 1 or 2 photos which probably aren't worth posting).
Glad to hear about the turnout. I think the presence at SCR and now NCR has made those outside of the scene more aware of KOF. Everyone I've met who've gotten a chance to try it has shown some real interest in the game.

Gravelneed
Currently Playing:KOF 2002UM, Arcana Heart 3, KOFXI, KOF98UM, NGBC, GGXXAC, SMT:Strange Journey

Post by Gravelneed » Thu Nov 25, 2010 00:41

Rumored news about KOFXIII.

Here's the translation from Tokirisan Twitter:

"King of Fighters XIII will bring reveal new character next year, so far
... Botan is confirm as playable character, and more characters."

If this is true, that would be amazing. I've been wanting to play as Botan since KOFXI. I can't help but get my hopes up.