8%

Total votes: 26

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Re: the great debate: 2x2, 3+1 or 4x1?

Post by Kane317 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:56

From '97 to '02 ish I used to go back to HK every 6 months. So approximately every 6 months I would have to switch from:

B C D
A

to

A B C
D

Which was annoying as hell, but I got used to it (it takes me about 1 day of gaming to convert) so I totally understand what Pen Pen goes through when having to adapt. Now the joysticks was another story altogether (the first 4 years I had to play on the awful American sticks).

Just for reference sake, at AI we have about approximately 16 players that play 3+1 and about 2 players that play 2+2 (for XIII).

DarkDreamT2
Charging...35%
Charging...35%
XBL:DarkDreamT2

Post by DarkDreamT2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 21:47

devlkore wrote:People be chattin' bout arcade sticks (or cabs) son. You pretty much have to use the 2x2 layout on a pad, unless you have a 6 button pad, you could have the 3+1 layout which would fuck you when trying to do SDMs, but actually make it easier to BC (without macros).
I use stick as well.
.A .C
.B .D

With this layout, my index and middle finger are on A and C, and my thumb is on B, generally. My hands reposition mid match tho, like most people would, but generally they're like that.

devlkore
Charging...23%
Charging...23%
A.K.A.:Better with girls
Currently Playing:KOF2K2UM, SSF4, Blast Works
XBL:Mad Mistress

Post by devlkore » Sun Dec 05, 2010 22:53

DarkDreamT2 wrote:
devlkore wrote:People be chattin' bout arcade sticks (or cabs) son. You pretty much have to use the 2x2 layout on a pad, unless you have a 6 button pad, you could have the 3+1 layout which would fuck you when trying to do SDMs, but actually make it easier to BC (without macros).
I use stick as well.
.A .C
.B .D

With this layout, my index and middle finger are on A and C, and my thumb is on B, generally. My hands reposition mid match tho, like most people would, but generally they're like that.
I use the same layout on stick too. When I was a kid playing in real life human arcades, my hands would reposition all the time without issue, but since getting a stick of my own, I generally keep my fingers in one position. I just use my first two fingers, and only use my thumb when pressing B+C.

IsshunSengeki
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:#HAMLORD
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, BlazBlue Chronophantasma
PSN:IsshunSengeki

Post by IsshunSengeki » Wed Jan 12, 2011 04:33

For me, it's really dependent on the game.
For KOF and Tekken, I use 2x2
A C |1 2
B D |3 4
So that I'm not making a HUEG shift from SF to KOF.
For Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, I use the 3x1 layout
B C D
A [ E ] (E is used for Dust in GG)
I use a similar layout for Tatsunoko vs Capcom
M H P
L

Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o

Post by Fuu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 13:32

violent bumping to come again

I'm looking for advice: I have been trying 2x2 for a bit and it isn't bad, but I have big hands and I can't really use 3 fingers + thumb: I tend to use the thumb for B and D. I'm feeling however I'm gimping myself in combos as my thumb is pretty slow. Would it be a bad habit to just alternate the 2 fingers between the 2 rows and only ever use the thumb for AB/CD?
I left the 3+1 because I was having some trouble trouble with the importance of AC/BD in XIII and after so much time I had to relearn the stick anyway, but I'm having doubts now. Remember big hands! Totally sexy though

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 13:57

my thumb is rubbish and my fingers aren't that solid either.

I have to dart around the 2x2 layout with my forefinger and middle. Sometimes I even have to press two fingers on one button for extra accuracy damage. I only use my thumb for BC activation.

it's a definite improvement over 3+1. Definitely.

Zade
Is it a bot?
XBL:Zoro Blad

Post by Zade » Fri Dec 09, 2011 14:23

For the reasons that others have mentioned I'm a new player starting like this

.A .C
.B .D

Seems to be working out all right so far, and I don't get too confused when playing alongside AE. Although UMVC is a completely different story :/

kadosho
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%
XBL:kadosho
PSN:kadosho

Post by kadosho » Fri Dec 09, 2011 16:56

I recall the arcade button setups were always .A .B
.C .D

UMVC's control setup drove me nuts, I had to change it! It was some crazy mismash for buttons setup ><"

I can understand that everyone likes a variation in control design. But why does Capcom's defaults lately always seem to be meh?
KOFXIII had the right setup, from the start. Maybe Capcom should take more notes from SNKP, just do it right or don't do it at all.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 19:45

Zade wrote:For the reasons that others have mentioned I'm a new player starting like this

.A .C
.B .D

Seems to be working out all right so far, and I don't get too confused when playing alongside AE. Although UMVC is a completely different story :/
yeah, punches on top, kicks on bottom, easy transition from SF.

kadosho
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by kadosho » Sat Dec 10, 2011 02:47

I still wonder why Capcom decided to deviate from a solid control scheme. When the "X-Factor" was embedded in MVC3, I honestly never used the system.
Super SSIV's Ultra Combo system seems to be a in-cohesive system. Instead of regular input, its X2 of the same command as an EX move.
Sometimes by mistake I'm able to pull off those special moves. But most of the time, they don't seem to activate when the input is correct.

But my fallback has always, and forever be the SNK system. Never can go wrong. It works, enough said.

Zade
Is it a bot?
XBL:Zoro Blad

Post by Zade » Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:13

"kadosho"I still wonder why Capcom decided to deviate from a solid control scheme. When the "X-Factor" was embedded in MVC3, I honestly never used the system.
Super SSIV's Ultra Combo system seems to be a in-cohesive system. Instead of regular input, its X2 of the same command as an EX move.
Sometimes by mistake I'm able to pull off those special moves. But most of the time, they don't seem to activate when the input is correct.
What? I don't want to turn this into a SF/MVC3 debate but

X-factor has nothing to do with having a solid control scheme at all. Also in SF4 EX moves/ultras don't seem to activate when the input is correct? Clearly you are not doing the input correctly at all.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Sat Dec 10, 2011 16:17

Please do not start talking about other games. This thread is for KOF only.

kadosho
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by kadosho » Sun Dec 11, 2011 05:34

Other stuff aside, I think SNK's button config tops their competition. Its simple, and easy to remember.
I hope they keep this design as long as they can.

Sorry for dishing dirt, Gunny.

Sogetsu
Charging...80%
Charging...80%
A.K.A.:Anime Fan

Post by Sogetsu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:05

When playing Arcade (but I don't like it because I sux with stick) I liked this

.C .D
.A .B

Then using JoyPad, all my life and even now on 360 (Yep I use joystick n_nUU) it is

... .D
.C .. .B
... .A

One of my 2 KOF Friends uses the same as me on Joypado (Play with Joy as well), and the other one who allways used stick previously used the first I put at begining and now he is used to

..... .B .C .D
.A

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 23:23

I use 3 + 1, but not the way you do it. I set my stick up specifically to replicate the old MVS layout. 2 x 2 doesn't work for me because I spent 8+ years in the arcade acclimating myself to spreading my hand out (which results in less stress for my hand). The default MVS layout for the buttons (being a straight line like that) isn't ergonomically right. However we don't have that problem with modern sticks since modern sticks have the buttons in a curved formation, which replicates the setup the buttons that our custom 3-screen cab at Hawaiian Brians had.

The typical modern fighting stick is:

I use:
* B C D
A * * *

Of course, because it's a modern fighting stick, it's not in a straight line but in a bit of a curve. The 2x2 setups from XI and on really fuck me up.

But half the time I play on PS2/PS3 pad and I have absolutely no problems doing so. Most console ports of KOF titles already have the right default setup too! Macro R1/R2 and L1/L2 to your fave button combinations and you're good to go. I map to R1 to BC for KOF 2k2UM, R2 to ABC, L1 to BCD, and L2 to ABCD - my fingers can easily do AC/BD without much trouble since they're wide enough.
. C .
A . D
. B .

So yeah, until KOF adds two extra buttons then this way is the way I'll be playing. Heavens forbid they go six buttons like that other game that will remain unnamed but has sloppy gameplay mechanics.