PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Mon Apr 17, 2006 22:25

*dies*

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue Apr 18, 2006 08:26

Alseid wrote:
Slapper Joe wrote:I gave Suikoden V more than a fair chance, more than I should of considering past attempts. II was mediocre while III and IV were plain poor.
That explains a lot.
Suikoden II was not much more than the original with refinements, sure this can be said of several games in most genres but Suikoden II would be one of the worst offenders of it's generation. That is what hurt it in my eyes and made it an average game. I also recall sloppy translation and randomness being issues as well but it is too many years back to remember for sure. But back to the topic at hand and away from conceited comments...

The review above mentions how nothing happens in the first three hours and little more in the following three. So I'm relieved I hit the switch before then because I don't recall purchasing a graphical novel. You guys may consider sitting through hours of substandard backstory some sort of initiation ritual but I don't. Games stopped being marketed as having 2.54e16 hours of gameplay for the simple reason that people started to think that ment 3/4s of it was filler. And it usually was.

I think the issue really boils down to differing mindsets. I am well over hours of pointless 'make it up as we go' filler-plot, high pitched voice actors and teens with gender issues as lead. Thankfully these usually come bundled together and are easy to spot.

Gojira
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:Twit
Currently Playing:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, WWE 2k16
XBL:Gojiraaa
PSN:Gojira_X

Post by Gojira » Thu Apr 20, 2006 03:01

DQ8 has you up and running in 10 minutes
DQ8 also had a terribly generic story that's widely considered its weakest aspect.

Anyway the point is, if you like the game enough to sit through the first 6 hours it just gets better. And if you don't like it, then oh well, it's not like I bought the game for you. It starts that way because your character has responsibilities as a prince that he can't escape. A prince just can't run around and do whatever he wants. In a way it says a lot about what political figures can really accomplish when things are running smoothly. (ie nothing)

BTW I didn't mean to call you an idiot, that was just a quote from the game. I was just using it to make a point about a possible idea behind the game's presentation.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Apr 20, 2006 07:23

No doubt the story in DQ8 is very basic (which was obviously the goal), but the presentation really helped hide this. Never seen this as a bad thing personally, Chrono Cross was a plesant experience until someone took everything and put it into a blender for disc 2. No plot twists (to the main story arc at least) or family members turning out to be big evil is a lot more refreshing in my eyes. Same applies with movies.

The problem I see is that you can't like the game when you are not given anything to chew on at the start. If you don't have an instant connection with any of the characters at the start of Suikoden V then it becomes a chore very quickly. And then I guess it is a case of willpower. Mine went quick.

I really don't mind being called an idiot, just peeved that there was nothing of substance backing up that statement.