2k2 - Iori Yagami

Guides / FAQs / Tutorials with Videos per character for Tougeki Arcade/ 360, Ps2 and Neogeo
Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!
A.K.A.:Turned ON
2k2 - Iori Yagami

Post by Archedgar » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:12

Yes, I have the audacity to start a Iori Yagami thread, ahahaha.

Old Iori Yagami information

Iori Yagami is 'another' character that was considered overpowered for a time, due to his great mobility and his great maximum mode potential, with no large weakness in his gameplay.

Iori is possibly the most played character in KoF(all of them since he appeared in 95), he is newbie friendly and can be played far differently depending on the player, more so than any other char.

His normals , as a general rule, have very high priority and are quick to recover(except his crouch D), his air game is solid in both air to air and air to ground, he is creditted, as being the only character that has both a fireball and a command throw. Giving him much variety in his gameplay.

Iori's projectile(Dark thrust/Yami Barai) can be done after nearly any of his heavy punch movements(Forward A, Crouch C, Stand C, Close C, CD etc.(not that CD is a punch), fairly useful...

It has great utility in general fireball traps, consisting on forcing your opponent to guess when/where to jump/roll and timing it so they fall into your projectile, very useful technique.

His command throw(Kuzukaze/Scum gale) can be comboed into, and afterwards, in specific situations, Iori can do: "Close A/B or Crouch A/B - Scum gale" and follow up, when fighting a cornered opponent.

It is often considered the most powerful command throw in the game as it can lead to huge damage. It can also be used as anti air if timed properly, and was considered the best anti air move in 2002(source)

His uppercut(oniyaki), although not as nice for anti air purposes as Kyo Kusanagi's, it is adecuate for the job, it also contributes to many combo chains.

Most of his combos derive from his Aoi Hana which is extremely quick to come out and can counter a large amount of moves in the game, that would otherwise be impossible to counter.

His crouch D, works as a strong anti air against many characters such as Vice and K9999, reliably even LOL

His poke combo is: crouch B, crouch A, QCB + Ax3, which can also be 'changed' to the more damaging: crouch B, crouch A,(stand), forward A, Maiden masher DM and follow up... and so forth.

Admittedly, Iori is not one of my fav. chars, but I am aware that he has a large problem match against Billy Kane, and so... here goes:

*The following is exclusively Iori vs. Billy Kane discussion, just in case you(the reader) want to skip that entirely

-At far-max range , the only real options you have are to run in, jump in or throw a projectile, some people like to 'roll' in, but I find that to be ... suicide.

Iori's projectile move is quick, but its best not to abuse it in this match, it can be countered with a simple hop, it is best to be as 'random' as possible with it, it plays a large role in successfully winning the match, best to be used as punishment for incorrect jumps/hops(I,e, fireball trap).

-At far-mid range , Billy Kane clearly has a lovely poke with his crouch A, this can be defeated from a distance with random(I stress the word RANDOM) crouch C and crouch A, never become predictable as you will be countered by Billy Kane's ground counter, alternate between throwing those out, and just blocking his pokes at times.

Straight jump C will beat Billy Kane's crouch A, not that the situation will happen often, but it will do damage if it ever arises.

Billy Kane's QCF + P and QCB + P have 'large' recovery, you can land a projectile if he whiffs either, and you can even charge in with QCB + K if he misses the anti aerial version, use this to your advantage and make him think twice about 'guessing' what you will do.

Avoid being at this range as much as possible.

-At relatively-mid range Billy Kane's Forward A will stop jumping attempts and will outright defeat all hops, it is countered by a projectile or even Crouch D, you can also roll right past it, but it is not advisable.

Iori's air game, despite being very solid, is weakened in this encounter due to Billy Kane's crouch C, which knocks out almost all of Iori's jump in moves except his CD which is predictable enough to counter. HOWEVER, Iori's jump A at proper range will take out Billy Kane's crouch C, this will open up his defense briefly and will also allow you to move into close range.

-Close range seems to be where 'you'(the Iori user) want to be, this is where Iori really gets an edge on Billy Kane, best to avoid using easily 'CD countered' moves, as to make the most of your close range advantage.

Scum gale will go through any attacks Billy Kane throws at you(unlike Kim's stand C grrr), Billy Kane's cross up defense is also poor.

Although Iori has some great options with stocks, its best to use 'CD counter' when Billy Kane does his crouch A/Forward A when you have him on the run(so to speak) once you have a rhythm going in close range, best to keep it as long as possible.

Keep in mind, ONLY CD counter his Forward A or other assorted *pokes*, his CD/Close C/Close D are ALL cancellable to his ground counter, THUS you are lowering your defense, taking damage, giving him the frame advantage and even PAYING a stock for it. You have been warned...

Iori's crouch D will beat(or at least trade hits with) Billy Kane's jump A/C/D but will lose to his jump B/CD, so keep that in mind.

Above all else, don't blindly charge into Billy Kane, this sounds like common sense, but it is amazing how often it happens that the savvy Iori player loses his cool and ends up playing into the opponents game.

Don't play too aggresively at the beginning, until you are at close range, play defensively and even turtle at first, Billy Kane's strength is in his great, even near impenetrable defense, NOT his offense, which is moderate at best(no command throw, high-low games, no real projectile, generally mediocre combos).

All in all, it "can" be won, it is a problem match and even the most skilled Iori player can find himself in a bind, fast, but with skill and practice, the gap between the characters can be breached at times.

Many of these situations/tactics, work effectively, as I have played as Billy Kane on this match up many times and had trouble with those who use or abuse them, on the Iori side, I myself have much trouble, but again, admittedly, Iori is not my fav. char and as such I rarely use him.

The most useful advice I can give, is, don't lose your cool and don't ever aggresively charge at Billy Kane from a distance :mad:

Discuss the Red haired guy who (almost) every KoF member hates, who hunts down Kyo Kusanagi constantly and apparently has a 'girlfriend' somewhere , which is never mentioned... and is constantly made fun of by people because he 'pursues' Kyo so passionately.

Edit:

First time I play around with the colors, some of them are beyond ugly... but I found that red and black looked fairly nice.

Damn, the amount of times I editted this thread starting post, is insane...

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:51

7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by 7d3j » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:22

Ahh... still no 'how do I do Saika?', good good. :D

Archedgar
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Archedgar » Wed Aug 17, 2005 15:18

What? a link? what is the point of that?

Oh yeah, and give it time, someone will ask how to do the saika ... eventually...

duolon_2005
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by duolon_2005 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 18:14

Are there any Iori glitch threads? I think I found a glitch in the PS2 version of KOF 2K2 that involves Orochi Iori's "throw" (it's the one where he runs up to the opponent and bites their head--purple flames appear as his mouth shuts...). If you try this move against Kula Diamond, she won't take damage!

KoFFreaK
Charging...99%
Charging...99%

Post by KoFFreaK » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:10

duolon_2005 wrote:Are there any Iori glitch threads? I think I found a glitch in the PS2 version of KOF 2K2 that involves Orochi Iori's "throw" (it's the one where he runs up to the opponent and bites their head--purple flames appear as his mouth shuts...). If you try this move against Kula Diamond, she won't take damage!
*turns on ps2*

Hey, it true o_O

7d3j
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%

Post by 7d3j » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:55

Huh? What? Iori doesn't bite heads... what are you on about?

I wanna know too!

His position switching move doesn't HAVE damage, right? So what kind of throw are you guys talking about...?

duolon_2005
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by duolon_2005 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 16:22

KoFFreaK wrote:
duolon_2005 wrote:Are there any Iori glitch threads? I think I found a glitch in the PS2 version of KOF 2K2 that involves Orochi Iori's "throw" (it's the one where he runs up to the opponent and bites their head--purple flames appear as his mouth shuts...). If you try this move against Kula Diamond, she won't take damage!
*turns on ps2*

Hey, it true o_O

It's funny just doing that move continuously because Kula takes no damage whatsoever. And I though Orochi Iori was powerful.... :grin: just kidding!

killer_iori
Is it a bot?

Post by killer_iori » Sun Feb 04, 2007 22:10

hello please i want to know the easy way to buffer the iori hsdm because i want tu use it in versus matchs and it very difficult to use it in combos like
C ,BC,run,C,forward A, HSDM the motion is qcb hcf backward foward A+C
thanks you

giga_d
Charging...76%
Charging...76%
A.K.A.:Orochinagi Staff - u mad? yea u mad.
Currently Playing:with himself in the staff room.
XBL:giga d

Post by giga_d » Sat Jul 05, 2008 09:32

thanks for the Iori info.