How to deal CPU opponents in KOF '98 UM?

Was it all just Shingo's dream?
Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...
How to deal CPU opponents in KOF '98 UM?

Post by Yuki Yagami » Thu Jan 24, 2013 15:39

I made a similar thread of this at CX, but I need an input from ON as well in these tips.

Sometimes it gets frustrating to deal with CPU opponents. Can anyone tell me how to deal them with ease? Particularly when I want to fight the bosses I want to fight. Unfortunately, I suck in using hcb, or hcf, attacks.

So I end up using Characters with qcf, qcf or qcb, qcb motions. I use this sometimes to "Avoid" fighting Omega Rugal at the end (finishing Opponents with 3 or more DMs). I end up quitting if I fail surviving up to Stage 6 (or if I end up facing Shingo and reached Stage 6 and lose). (At least, if you fought ROTB Iori/Leona or Normal Rugal at Stage 4, you automatically fight Orochi as Boss, but I suck OCVing (Straight in Classic KOF lingo) CPU teams 3 straight times)

General
1. Enemies who "Dodge" attacks.

Since there is diversity in CPU opponents now, rather than "Roll", some of them use Dodge, thus making me miss the attacks I use them or trying to go near them and throw them. I end up eating their attacks instead. Is there a way to punish dodging opponents without getting punished?

CPU Characters (most of them are trial and error, but there are some characters I have hard time to deal with)
1. Art of Fighting Team
Yes, they are giving me a hard time to defeat them easily, particularly Ryo. He keeps on doing things that gives me a little room to counter with. Everything I do, he punishes me. Most of them with with uppercuts (close range or air attacks). Robert, the same problems I have to deal with Ryo, but timing Anti-airs can counter Robert. They are at worst if they are using Extra or Ultimate (using the Dodge Mechanic). Is there a way to deal with them without getting punished too much. At least even an Anti-CPU Ryo tip would do. Anyone can help me?

2. Omega Rugal (just in case)
Yes, he's more harder in this game than in Vanilla '98 and can be described in two words: Genocide Cutter. Whenever I go near him (by walking or jumping), Genocide Cutter. It's quite annoying, especially when you suck in using grapplers, like me. So this one is most characters in general (except for Regular Yamazaki (dp+P him in the corner), Ralf (Still as effective as he was in Vanilla '98) and Heidern (Neck Rolling and timing) though, which has own attacks to deal with him) so what are things to do if you fight Omega Rugal.

I admit '98 UM's Single Player mode is harder than 2002 UM (where you can finish your opponent with a specific attack to fight a specific boss at your convenience and has an option to fight Omega Rugal or not by complying the requirements or not). Since if you want to fight Goenitz or Orochi (except when you fight ROTB Iori/Leona or Normal Rugal) you must reach Stage 6 without continuing (along with the number of DM finishes, 3-5 DM finishes - Goenitz, 6 or more - Orochi, unless you fight ROTB Iori/Leona or Normal Rugal, which makes the Orochi Boss fight easier to reach) which is a pain sometimes.

tl;dr

I am asking for...
1. Tips against Dodging opponents (especially the CPU opponents using Dodge)
2. Anti-CPU AOF team (particularly, Anti-Ryo tips)
3. Anti-Omega Rugal tips

Thanks in advance...

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Re: How to deal CPU opponents in KOF '98 UM?

Post by Toxic Avanger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 21:29

Enemies that use dodge has the same defect that they did in 95, and that is that they don't block, in other words combo punishing and AI dodge is much easier than an AI roll, so that's that. If you are too far to punish the dodge with anything, then don't do anything; it's not like you have to hang yourself to do everything right in order to proceed.

For the Kyokugens, Ryo has his good old eternal "far C" pattern, where has he'll try to do a Koh-ken, a hien shipuu or a far C to match yours at the proper distance, and since he is reacting late he'll get stuffed. As usual he is pretty much the only AI character that you can consistently stun by exploiting his pattern over and over.
Yuri will always C grab you when you are close (probably is an internal joke or something), so just give her time, she'll start flipping the screen with her long distance moves which are plenty of punishable.
Robert likes to play a "slow game", he'll turtle and then he'll either rush, jump or counter attack, so if you are far just wait for him and he'll eventually leave himself open, when you are close he usually go for the command grab, which isn't 100% invincible, thus is you attack late you'll nail him.

Rugal is actually just as easy as he was in vanilla 98' as he has the same crappy AI pattern : just neutral jump with an attack at the proper distance and he'll go for a genocide cutter that will whiff (sometimes back jumping works as well). In fact over here he was called "the practice" due to his constant dp whiffing. The "proper distance" changes depending on the character you are using and the attack that you are whiffing, if you mis-judge the distance he'll nail you with the dp. You can also do the eternal anti SNK boss pattern of knocking him down, and then hyper jump over without attacking; he'll give a dp looking at the other way. Miss time the jump and the dp will come your way, of course. Sometimes it's hard to nail him the first time, but once you do and if you are experienced at the pattern it's pretty much a perfect win.

DISCLAIMER : I had to dust off my ps2 and do some maintenance to the controller to check this stuff :lol: I can't believe that it's been that long since I last used it. I still remember the progressive mode thing :lol:

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Re: How to deal CPU opponents in KOF '98 UM?

Post by Yuki Yagami » Wed Feb 13, 2013 14:46

OK, it somewhat solved my AOF team problems. Plus Crouching Ds dealt with them most of the time... Plus a "Predator" Heidern can be most useful at times. (Predator because A version Cross Cutter + Neck Rolling)

But... There are more CPU-controlled characters that frustrate me to death...

Athena - Getting near her is quite annoying. Psycho Ball here, Psycho Ball there... Even at close she annoys me especially with either Psycho Sword, Psycho Throw me or Psycho Ball Revolution.

Mai - Well, Not much of a threat but she can get me off guard with pokes, crouching attacks or her dp+K. Getting near her is my most common problem against her. She'll just dp + K me.

Yamazaki - Not so much problem if I'm using a projectile spammer. But getting near him, especially if the character uses short to no projectiles, he'll just play keep away with his Serpent Hands.

Benimaru - Cannot specify in this one, but apparently he causes problems as well.

Daimon - projectile users/Ralf (except when using Galactica Phantom, which I somewhat discourage though) has little to no problems dealing with him. but attacking him close range is the most annoying. He'll just grab me, whether I attack him or not.

King - not much, but she just spams the Tornade Kick like a Genocide Cutter.

Kim - Same as King, but his Hangetsu-zan nullifies any attack, keeps spamming that move on wake up even if I am about to stand up after getting down after a hit leading to no recovery at all. He'll just use his d+C when I attempt to jump over him.

Terry - Where shall I start, he just annoys me with no end, so annoying I could almost throw anything out of frustration. Keeps spamming Power Wave, dodges when I had a chance of attack (if using EX or ULT-Dodge) and punishes me with Rising Tackle. Though it's pretty much the patterns he uses is same in Vanilla '98 (Knockdown -> Power Wave, Power Charge -> Rising Tackle), but he's more obnoxious to deal with him this time.

Mr. Big - Same problems as Terry (spams Ground Blaster and his dp (California Romance) ), except he has his Cross Dive (unless I use a projectile user) or uses his dp when close, then punishes me further of any attacks. His Spinning Lancer can be avoided with a crouch attack, but is a problem when a character is on the air or attempting to jump against him, which gives me a lot of problems in dealing with him further.

Did not include Krauser since in general both CPU or Human players had trouble with him and needs a separate topic on how to deal with him.

Once again, thanks in advance, if anyone can help me...