2k3 Kim.

All other KOFs. Gameplay discussion only.
Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
2k3 Kim.

Post by Empyrian » Tue Aug 23, 2005 06:44

I mentioned making a Kim thread for so many times that I forgot the exact amount. ;p I suppose I really *should* make it after all. Why not a Jhun thread, you ask? Cos I am selfish. :p

The old thread.

So you want to try out Kim?
So you disagree on why I put him on overpowered?
Sit back, relax and read through this thread.

I would suppose you guys would accept that when I said he is a hybrid between Ash and Beni, right? He offers offensive potential with pretty good defensive measures. However the hybridisation process did not make him too overpowered. He has lag issues over most of his special moves. Off a jump attack, the safest combo extender should be stand C to super. Anything else you do, like a down b to qcb punch*3 will miss on the last hit and that screams "LAG!"

Normal moves to use.
For combo. Down b or Stand C.
For poking aka annoying the hell out of opponents. Down A, Stand A, Far C, Down D.

Special moves to use.
Qcb punch*3. THE move.
Down Down b. A move that hits low.
Down_Up B. The second best uppercut after Ryo. Near impossible to cross him up when he does this.
Jump Down Kick. Air chipper. Way better than sky walker. XD

Ranbu has a few frames of invincibility, so there is limited success with it countering aerial attacks and laggy moves on the ground. (Hey, I beat Robert's LDM with it so it isn't useless.) It is by far the best ranbu super in the game. While lousy in invincibility, the speed is great.

LDM is similar but faster. It is even comboable from a stand B. It is fast enough to punish down bs btw. But honestly, it is an ok LDM at best. I have better candidates for the LDM slot but I also concede the fact that there are other players who concentrate more on the damage section of a LDM. The damage of the LDM is awesome though not at the *Chain Drive* level. It is juggable at the corner but I only managed a B uppercut reliably.

Gameplay.
While you can get some success playing him like Ash by abusing the normal moves and B uppercut, that is only less than half of what he can do. Personally, I use him more slanted to the Beni side, which is offensive, coupled with periods of turtling. :X

While Beni has no lag, Kim makes it up for his guard crush ability, second to Kyo in this game.

You guys should know that qcb *3 punch guard crushes when done twice. However the last hit is very punishable.

Add this to your arsenal. Stand C, down, down b guard crushes when blocked thrice.

A simple math calculation would show that a qcb*2 punch + a stand C down, down b takes more than half of the guard crush meter. Make your own conclusions from there.

Mix the 2 with his jump down kick and his normal moves and you will see guard crushes and exclaims of, "I WAS BLOCKING!!" or "Huh? Guard Crushed??" "KIM IS BROKEN!"

Do be careful against Goro, Clark and Griffin though. (maybe Maxima with his grab DM.) As their grabs are rather long range, the qcb punch chain gets punished when blocked. For this, it may be best to do more stand C, down down b on them.

"What? That's all?"
Sigh, people are never satisfied. Learn the rest by playing him yourself! XD

PaGaN 3l3m3nts
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by PaGaN 3l3m3nts » Thu Aug 25, 2005 18:44

At one point, I was playing against a friend in KoF 2003, and I was using Kim. There was no risk of me losing, and he was getting frustrated, so I began goofing off, and simply mashing buttons and semi-rotating the d-pad randomly. I ended up doing a combo in which I hit him, comboed to d, d + B, then flew into the air with my opponent in a move, then did his ranbu move from in the air with them. What'd I do?

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Fri Aug 26, 2005 05:18

You just did something you have no idea about. Like a fluke. XD

I *think* you did a stand C, d,d+B SC to LDM?

Cascade
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by Cascade » Wed Sep 07, 2005 00:05

Kim is overpowered? But damn, that can't be! I just started liking playing as him and already he's considered cheap. X(
I personally just play complete offense with him. Using as many Hishou-kyaku moves and twin close bs into qcb+d, or qcf+Cx3. I like how you can connect another LDM after his LDM if you have enough stocks.

D`Cloud
Powering up...7%
Powering up...7%

Post by D`Cloud » Sun Oct 22, 2006 15:23

define overpowered.

i forgot where i posted it before but ive been using kim for a long time.. he actually replaced kyo on my team.. it used to be griffon k' and kyo.. kyo did a good guard break.. kim did almost everything

i have this strategy with kim where if im cornered i try to throw my opponent on to my side (close D). as they are getting up, i high jump over them and do a d+k in air on to the other side. its sort of a glitch cuz the opponent wont get up facing your side but rather facing his side. if they dont know where to block, they get smacked in the face. this works too if the opponent is cornered and you throw them with a C. its pretty safe too.