Empty canceling

All other KOFs. Gameplay discussion only.
KoFFreaK
Charging...99%
Charging...99%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Empty canceling

Post by KoFFreaK » Tue Nov 22, 2005 07:45

I was playing the other day and I sort of noticed that if you empty cancel certain moves, it almost seems as if there is a shorter recovery time, moves like Athena's psycho ball, I never heard of anything like that, so does anyone know how this works?

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Tue Nov 22, 2005 13:41

I don't know what's you're calling "empty cancel"

But for several "super cancellable" moves, when you try a super cancel with no or one power stock, your char flashes white and you recover from the canceled move very fast and can still combo in the block stun or the hit stun...

the best exemple is kim, with his d, d B ---> super

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 16:42

frionel wrote:I don't know what's you're calling "empty cancel"

But for several "super cancellable" moves, when you try a super cancel with no or one power stock, your char flashes white and you recover from the canceled move very fast and can still combo in the block stun or the hit stun...

the best exemple is kim, with his d, d B ---> super
That's not what he's talking about.

Empty cancelling = canceling a normal move BEFORE it hits into a special move. For instance, do K's stand CD. Before the animation finishes, do a QCF+C. The CD animation gets cancelled into the QCF+C even though neither of them actually hit the opponent. It's good for mindgames and the like.

As for KoFFreak's question - I can't say that I've seen that to be the case, no.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Tue Nov 22, 2005 18:41

ah, we call it also "kara cancel"... cancelling the first frames of an attack with another attack without hiting the oponent

in kof, you can empty cancel the majority of the CD attacks and a lot of other normal

so you can cancel your attacks to get less recovery, but the special will not get special properties...

the best way to use this is to cancel by a feint move (vanessa, ramon, yamazaki etc...), or just by a special with a big block stun to continue pressuring the oponent...

sorry again for my awfull english :oops: