REVOLUTION

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
Fuu
hunted by pedo police
Currently Playing:by ear
PSN:OswaldK9o
REVOLUTION

Post by Fuu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 18:29

History in the making in the Middle East, guys.
Revolts easily call blood but in Libya things really turned for the worst, Gheddafi called in airstrikes against his own people I believe from either the police or mercenary forces. It is a delicate situation but I wish human rights counted enough that EU or US forces could waltz in supporting the people without having to think about public relations.
On a lighter note, funny how Berlusconi is a good friend of Gheddafi, i would have said megalomaniacs wouldn't tie together.

Either way, I am very much hoping for a progressive turn to moderation and democracy that can in the due time wash away all the perceived stereotypes about Muslim countries, and to see the extremists get the power and the attention they deserve - none.

So, BP president of Egypt, yes?

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Re: REVOLUTION

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:27

I wonder if it reflects badly on me that the most amusing thing I've gotten out of this is the approximately 10000 ways people spell Gaddafi/Qaddafi/Ghadafi's name.

On a more serious note a member of the Muslim Brotherhood (the main opposition group) had a piece in the NYT recently on what sort of government they want to have in Egypt:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/10/opini ... ood&st=cse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The key part:
As our nation heads toward liberty, however, we disagree with the claims that the only options in Egypt are a purely secular, liberal democracy or an authoritarian theocracy. Secular liberal democracy of the American and European variety, with its firm rejection of religion in public life, is not the exclusive model for a legitimate democracy.

In Egypt, religion continues to be an important part of our culture and heritage. Moving forward, we envision the establishment of a democratic, civil state that draws on universal measures of freedom and justice, which are central Islamic values. We embrace democracy not as a foreign concept that must be reconciled with tradition, but as a set of principles and objectives that are inherently compatible with and reinforce Islamic tenets.
I suppose we'll see how it works out.

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Wed Feb 23, 2011 23:53

I don't even see how anyone is even seeing a possible liberal turn in the Middle East. This is merely another detour towards authoritarian/fundamentalist political repetition.

The people are going to latch on to the first form of stability it can find, which sadly will be the military in most cases; and in the cases where it isn't, the people will flee towards religion. Regardless of their choice, the power vacuum will obviously be filled by powermongers who will fubar the already fubared region to a whole new numerical power before the same revolutionary tide of disgruntled everymen will wash over them in another 50 years.

I won't lie though, I'd like to be proved very wrong in this case.

Shiny
Posts too much
A.K.A.:Wreck-It Richard.
Currently Playing:Baseball. With your skull.
XBL:Callsign Rain
PSN:Anariaca3279

Post by Shiny » Thu Feb 24, 2011 00:24

@Fuu: BUNGA BUNGA?

I agree with Roro, I hope things are different and that another megalomaniac doesn't step in. But yeah, BP for president of Egypt.

Edgey
One stock!
One stock!
A.K.A.:Testaminty Fresh
Currently Playing:Chrono Trigger.... AGAIN
PSN:edgey_berzerker

Post by Edgey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 01:31

I really hope everything turns out for the better for the people. I'd hate to see another greedy dictator get a position of power again.
Hearing the latest news about libya is quite frightening. Cops who refused to shoot at protesters got murdered also. The numbers are staggering but I honestly hope the people don't give up. Geddaffi is really clinging to power from the tactics he's using.

That said BP for Pres of Egypt!

Yuki Yagami
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:a "trader" and a "messenger"
Currently Playing:...with someone's mind...

Post by Yuki Yagami » Thu Feb 24, 2011 09:17

We need the Celestial Being for intervention in Libya.

Seriously, It's quite amusing that what started in Egypt (and to a little degree, Tunisia) spread along in the Middle East and North Africa (Yemen, Bahrain, Iran (though it failed, for now)) like wildfire. I wonder if Gaddafi will be the next one to timber?

Kancho Assassin
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%
A.K.A.:Kubo should lay off the crack.

Post by Kancho Assassin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 03:46

What do you mean "wonder" about Gaddafi being next? From what I've seen, Gaddafi's hold on Libya is falling apart. As of this writing, he has parts of Tripoli and a town left. The rest fell to the rebels and there's signs that the rebels are planning a final push to Tripoli.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 15:29

It's all gone pretty crazy. Dictators will fall, the question is, who/what will replace them? Will the West intervene and install puppets? Will we have a people's champ, that will inevitably fall to corruption and repeat the cycle? Will we be able to walk the streets and buy a can of coca cola... or the local drink? Which is better for the country?

I have no idea. All I know is that some muslim women stood up and said the veil is quite simply oppression. Religion is a big part of life, as far as I can see, in the middle east, and I personally can't stand it. I'm more interested to see how this turns out, rather than the process of installing a new so-called democracy.

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Wed Mar 09, 2011 20:05

lol at being president. I will enhance worldly relations mostly by increasing the export of falafel and related products by 1000%.

Egypt and Tunisia still have a bit of a way to go before everything goes well for them. For now though, it looks like Libya's situation is really depressing with Ghaddafi's descent into madness (well, he was pretty crazy before that happened, now it's just got worse).

Edgey
One stock!
One stock!
A.K.A.:Testaminty Fresh
Currently Playing:Chrono Trigger.... AGAIN
PSN:edgey_berzerker

Post by Edgey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 05:44

BP wrote:lol at being president. I will enhance worldly relations mostly by increasing the export of falafel and related products by 1000%.

Egypt and Tunisia still have a bit of a way to go before everything goes well for them. For now though, it looks like Libya's situation is really depressing with Ghaddafi's descent into madness (well, he was pretty crazy before that happened, now it's just got worse).
Falafels are pretty amazing wow

Ghaddafi's madness is scary. The fact he's more then willing to bomb citizens shows how much he's willing to sacrifice to keep a tight grip onto power.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 06:35

As always, the situation is more nuanced than any news network would lead us to believe:
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... page=0%2C2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;