mocking god

For everything the stupid room can't provide! And Freud!
Kancho Assassin
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%
A.K.A.:Kubo should lay off the crack.
Re: mocking god

Post by Kancho Assassin » Wed Apr 26, 2006 23:11

Gunsmith wrote:The question is, Christianity has really no control over things like this, as legally there's not much they can do, so what's going to happen next? Will all belief just totally crumble? Will Christianity dupk FAIL? or will it just be a fad until they find the next god - is buddha next for photoshopping with bridget?
You think Christainity should go the Scientology route? Gee, look how well it worked for Scientology. *coughsouthparkcough*

Anti-K'
MOAR
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Currently Playing:Persona 4, Melty Blood Actress Again, BlazBlue

Re: mocking god

Post by Anti-K' » Thu Apr 27, 2006 01:52

You think Christainity should go the Scientology route? Gee, look how well it worked for Scientology. *coughsouthparkcough*
Goddamn you, Isaac Hayes!! :cuss: Can't you take a joke?!
do we remember something in the news about cartoons of mohammed or something? hmmm riots? hmmm?
Also on South Park.

I'm Christian, but I really don't give a shit about people badmouthing my religion. I'm a horrible Christian :-(

Photon
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by Photon » Thu Apr 27, 2006 04:13

That's alright. Christianity is oft a horrible denomination too. ;p

http://landoverbaptist.org

bK
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by bK » Thu Apr 27, 2006 04:36

Meh, something that's funny is funny anyway.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:51

my question: is christianity the only religion that mocks their god to such extent?

Sheba
Wyler is my God!!!
A.K.A.:ALL HAIL OPPAI!!!
Currently Playing:Civilization 5 , BlazBlue: Continuum Shift , Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Minecraft, Magicka
PSN:TigerBalmSniffer

Post by Sheba » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:32

Gunsmith wrote:my question: is christianity the only religion that mocks their god to such extent?
Don't you remember how some muslims went berserk over the Prophet's caricatures? I highly doubt they satyrize him as much as people does with Jesus.

Edit: typos
Last edited by Sheba on Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:38

I think the mocking is more of a reflection of the liberal democratic culture than of Christianity itself. It just so happens that Christianity happens to be the major religion in most centres of such culture.

You can be sure that in older times, people kept their jokes to themselves, or even consciously kept themselves from 'thinking such thoughts', for fear of being labelled as blasphemous and heretical, and for fear of their own souls.

But yah, this is a huge topic. On the flip-side: Does Islam at its core lend itself to the madness that is fundamentalism? Osama is rich and privileged, and there have been many examples of middle-class college educated Muslims who went fundie, so the common argument that "only the poor and disenfrenchised become fundamentalists" doesn't really stand.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:44

Sheba wrote:
Don't you remember how some muslims went berserk over the Prophet's caricatures? I highly doubt they satyrize him as much as people does with Jesus.
ya! that's what I'm saying! are Christians the most lax when it comes to mockery of their god? Islam doesn't seem like they can take a joke... does anyone know of any other religion that can?

Sheba
Wyler is my God!!!
Currently Playing:Civilization 5 , BlazBlue: Continuum Shift , Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Minecraft, Magicka

Post by Sheba » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:47

I should my mother and my guild leader about that, the former is buddhist, the latter is jew xD

Ragnarok
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:Raggu MD.
PSN:Dr_Cafeinomano

Post by Ragnarok » Mon May 01, 2006 20:14

Sheba wrote:Don't you remember how some muslims went berserk over the Prophet's caricatures? I highly doubt they satyrize him as much as people does with Jesus.
I remember some cardinals being jealous about that, WTF.

Catholic jokes are old, but they keep comming because christians actually think they're funny and not offending. Ned Flanders and Jebus, anyone?

nevadash
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%

Post by nevadash » Tue May 02, 2006 16:09

I remember reading that here in Finland during the 60s some artist got charged with "blasphemy" for making icons with pigs in them instead of saints.
Also I remember reading that nowadays tourists are adviced to use caution when talking about religion in countries below Denmark because over there God is Serious Business.

Sheba
Wyler is my God!!!

Post by Sheba » Tue May 02, 2006 16:28

Norway banned "The Life of Brian" movie for being 'blasphemous'.

ctrl+awesome
More power! ...34%
More power! ...34%

Post by ctrl+awesome » Tue May 02, 2006 18:55

Gunsmith wrote:ya! that's what I'm saying! are Christians the most lax when it comes to mockery of their god? Islam doesn't seem like they can take a joke... does anyone know of any other religion that can?
What other religions? Stop this silly talk. It's time for you to go pray!

Iori E
Almost there! ...80%
Almost there! ...80%
A.K.A.:Yayifications!
Currently Playing:Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Post by Iori E » Wed May 03, 2006 06:34

What about Judaism? Go watch any Mel Brooks movie!