how did u start playin kof?

Chat about whatever
2nd Face
Is it a bot?
A.K.A.:Turned ON
PSN:x_2ndFace_x
Re: how did u start playin kof?

Post by 2nd Face » Fri Nov 11, 2011 19:00

My first SNK-experience was Fatal Fury 2 in a greek arcade. I spent a lot of coins in that machine.
There were other machines Year after year. I think the last one I played during that time was KoF95.
Then there was a big void.. then there was 13.
I had a visitor from Swiss who showed me KoFXII and I honestly did'nt like it.

Then I picked up RBFF and KoF98UM about a Year ago and got hooked again.
And now I can't wait for KoF13 to be released.

kadosho
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%
XBL:kadosho
PSN:kadosho

Post by kadosho » Thu Nov 24, 2011 05:11

2005.. wow its been a long time. Continuing the tradition of this thread, I too will share my origins with this series.

At a local arcade in San Jose CA, they carried a few titles. Some were just released and waiting to be played. So after school one Friday,I decided to play Fatal Fury it was right next to the SF cabinet. Placed my quarter in the slot, and began my crossroads into arcade love. Tried SF but it felt too stiff, FF felt so much more fluid.
Fast forward to SFII, a whole lot better but it played a bit like FF did. To my surprise FF2, and AOF showed up at another arcade. Went there, and found more solidarity.
Turns out there was a following beginning to start up all over the place.

KOF 94' - Amazed, loved, but the boss kicked my butt, played a few people and had a ball. 2001, not sure what happened but it was tough to find anyone to play.
2003, seems like people I used to know veered towards the VS or whatever series was going on at the time. XI I stumbled upon by some friends, tried it out but they knocked my butt since I wasn't aware of the changes. Once I got the hang of it, I got them back and snagged a few wins.

And here we are 2011, with XIII. Still going. ^_^

xaos
Is it a bot?
Currently Playing:KOF13, Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, inFamous Second Son
PSN:lionheart5

Post by xaos » Thu Nov 24, 2011 20:48

I guess my first post ought to be in here. Unless there's an introduce yourself thread I missed, which is possible I miss a lot of things. The first time I played KOF was the version of KOF 98 that came out for the Dreamcast called King Of Fighters '99 Dream Match back in 2000. I didn't know anything about the characters save for the Art of Fighting characters because that was the only SNK fighting game I played before. But I didn't start to get really into KOF until Capcom Vs SNK 2 when I started playing the SNK characters and thought man, these guys are all really cool, I should check the other KOF games. The rest as they say is history, been a KOF nut, er, fan since then.

MDog
Charging...8%
Charging...8%
A.K.A.:In High Gear
Currently Playing:KoFXIII, Morrowind
XBL:tehmarcerer
PSN:tehmarcerer

Post by MDog » Sun Nov 27, 2011 18:40

The Monster wrote:I knew as a kid what Fatal Fury was. Don't ask me how.
I'm pretty much the same story. I at least knew about Terry Bogard, but I'd never played any SNK games other than Metal Slug. It was only a few years back - say, three or four - that I actually first played a KoF game; 98. After that, I was converted.

Edgey
One stock!
One stock!
A.K.A.:Testaminty Fresh
Currently Playing:Chrono Trigger.... AGAIN
PSN:edgey_berzerker

Post by Edgey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 05:32

I got into Fatal Fury from watching the anime series religiously. I rented the first Fatal Fury and liked it and then I played Fatal Fury Special a lot on the SNES (no arcades from around where I was, seeing how I lived in a hick town).

Then I saw in EGM the article on KOF 94 and I really wanted to play it. I never did though...

It was until I got a PS1 that I got KOF 95 and from there, I couldn't get enough of it. My Dreamcast has a lot of the SNK ports and honestly, even though I can get the roms, I still will buy SNK stuff when I can. I already got some games for the Neo Geo station on the PS3.

yamazaky96
Charging...63%
Charging...63%

Post by yamazaky96 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 06:39

I used to play street fighter II till 1995 (I was 7 years old)
then a new arcade opened in my area
when I first saw the king of fighters 95 in a big NEO 50" screen
I was amazed by the graphics, speed and ability to choose a team
so i started playing (mashing) KOF95 and Ninja master'safter few months they brought the king of fighters 96 and I was still mashing on it
then one day the replaced KOF96 with KOF96 hack where u have infinity meter and both Goenitz and Chizuru were unlocked
so I started choosing the broken chizuru and trying to learn how to play good with other characters
when they returned original KOF96 again I was good enough to win against most of the players
I became famous over there because I was the youngest KOF player back then wow
I played all KOF's except KOF 12, Neo wave and Maximum impact's
hated KOF2001 (I used to play it only for Xiangfei) and KOF2003
my favorite of all time is KOF02UM

Great_Dark_Hero
Charging...76%
Charging...76%
A.K.A.:This is Mai victory
Currently Playing:KOFXIII, TTT2, Crash Bandicoot Warped, Megaman X4
PSN:Dark_Ice_Saiko

Post by Great_Dark_Hero » Thu May 03, 2012 12:24

I began playing KOF when I was first exposed to it during CVS. I was a fourth grader at the time - I always used to play CVS in the PX arcade room after soccer practice. The characters from SNK side looked far more interesting and aggressive. I also loved Mai's appearance in that game. She was gorgeous as hell! MORE SO than Chun Li! (a ten year old liking a character such as Mai is kind of... strange.) Kyo had some interesting moves. Moves that I have never seen before. Yamazaki used to creep me out the most! Overtime, as I got older, I began to love KOF more (and SF much less).
Now, I am practically one of the biggest SNK fans here. I love the series to death now!

My first KOF game is KOF 98. That's when things started changing for me - I was a Spain when I was playing KOF 98. Then once more, one of my friends in Wiesbaden brought several fighting games to my high school and played them throughout lunch! KOF 98 and 3S are the games he brought! If it were not for those two games, I would not be in the FGC now!

sazbi
Is it a bot?
Currently Playing:KOF 13 VF 5 Final Showdown HardCorps Uprising
PSN:Crossbone-F93

Post by sazbi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 04:08

I played Fatal Fury on SNES.
But it wasnt till I played Cap VS SNK2.
That I got a taste of other characters.
1st KOF game brought MI 2 aka KOF 06

Seizya
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:Orochinagi Rookie/MMC Vet
Currently Playing:"King of Fighters XIII", "2002 UM", 『七香†クラッシュ!!』

Post by Seizya » Sat Sep 08, 2012 08:21

An old artist got me into "KoF" if I remember correctly. Played "1996" & "1997". The rest is history.