Anyone interested in a cross-community tournament?

Chat about whatever
Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Anyone interested in a cross-community tournament?

Post by Wry Guy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 22:58

So since I've begun posting on the front page I figured I may as well introduce the idea of doing some cross-community things. As I believe I've publicly stated my personal hangout is Destructoid.com, which is a news site along the lines of Kotaku and Joystiq. The main difference between those sites and Destructoid is that the site's staff interacts with the community and doesn't try to control the people. Likewise Destructoid has a very low bullshit threshold. Random console wars hate speech is a great way to get yourself destroyed where I hang out.

Basically Destructoid is a cool place if you know how to be a cool person. They're not that familiar with SNK games, though. That's why I've been starting up a series of community tournaments called Fatal Destructoid. Fatal Destructoid is exclusively based around SNK fighters. I act as the host but I don't actually compete. I train all the contestants before and during the tournament and then the winner of the tournament fights me to gauge everyone's progress. The winner still gets a prize regardless of if they beat me or not, but they'll get a bonus prize if they can take me down. The first tournament that was for King of Fighters 98, and the next touranement will be Mark of the Wolves.

Since I'm planning on spending time on Orochinagi I was wondered if anyone else wanted to participate? The only thing I ask is that you not be a jerk and that you do your best to have a good time. That's pretty much the only serious rule I uphold during the tournaments. I don't advertise these at places like Shoryuken.com because sites like that are the anti-thesis of what games should be. Games should be fun, so I don't really feel like bringing a bunch of assholes in even if they're good at fighting games. It's my belief that the overwhelming elitism and general shithead behavior of fighting game buffs is why the genre died out in the first place.

It's not like anyone in the tournament is going to be pro. In fact a lot of them will be complete newbies to SNK fighters and maybe even fighting games in general. If you want an example of the tougher fighters I currently have here's the "Boss Battle" from KOF 98 which was me versus one of my constesants, Senisan.

Anyone interested in a Mark of the Wolves tournament?

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Re: Anyone interested in a cross-community tournament?

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Mar 19, 2010 23:14

Where are you holding this tournament? GGPO?

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 23:20

GGPO often causes complications for all the people involved at one point or another. We're using http://supercade.net/, which is basically what 2DF became. Ideally if you enter the tournament you can host a connection.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Sat Mar 20, 2010 14:13

ON has the same policy, which killed a lof of the "fun" for some visitors :)

"We" got challenged on GGPO by a clan once, but the whole "UK/USA/France/Italy" vs China thing kinda didn't work out lag wise.

However, as Destructoid members I'm guessing are a bit closer, this should be feasible! Sign me up!

Er... I guess I should practice MOTW...

hebretto
Neomaxxing
A.K.A.:Free HUGS!!!
Currently Playing:2D fighting games
XBL:hebretto

Post by hebretto » Mon Mar 22, 2010 01:25

If there are people in Australia I am willing to represent ON to a degree (I don't play every SNK game ... but windjammers is hot!)

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 20:50

Well, it's an online tournament so do you mean if there are any Destructoid members in Australia to play against?

hebretto
Neomaxxing

Post by hebretto » Tue Mar 23, 2010 03:32

Correct.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 05:21

Alright, that has been noted but I don't think we have any Aussies over there. It looks like Gunsmith will be the first major competitor from Orochinagi, which makes a good deal of sense and hopefully others will follow later. Next tournament will probably be King of Fighters 2002, then maybe Last Blade 2 after that.

hebretto
Neomaxxing

Post by hebretto » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:21

Gunsmith-senpai ganbatte!

Why am I preaching Japanese love!?

Gunsmith da ge jiayou!

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 18:40

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Gu ... 8896.phtml

Here's a preview of the tournament signup page. This isn't the final version nor is it public, this is just to give you guys an idea of what the tournament will be like. If Gunsmith approves I'll post something similar on Orochinagi's front page. On Orochinagi I'd be telling everyone they need to sign up in the forums, though. I figured it might help get some new people posting or maybe just some old people coming back.

hebretto
Neomaxxing

Post by hebretto » Fri Mar 26, 2010 01:58

Just a question ... you guys are ok with talks about emulation etc? I thought being a big site and all it'd be a hush hush underground kind of thing

I played some Garou last night and realised I wouldn't be representing ON so I went back and watched TV shows hahaha

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 06:54

We don't explicitly talk about the emulation part and I don't really think anybody who would cause us trouble has caught on to such a fact. Any talk about ROMs and such would be done in private after the contestants sign up.

Besides, they openly talk about GGPO on Shoryuken.com and that place gets as much traffic as possible. I believe Capcom's head PR person frequents the site and sees that sub-forum out in the open. Quite clearly Capcom and SNK don't care, or if they do they'll hit the busier places first.

pop_squally
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by pop_squally » Mon Mar 29, 2010 01:13

any possibillity of running a tournament on the ps3 format? i could access ggpo again but im scared of my pc going nuts

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 02:00

Unfortunately that's not much of a possibility, and I wasn't aware Garou was even on the PSN anyway. We're using Supercade also, not GGPO. GGPO is the opposite of stable. Half the time it won't work.

Wry Guy
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Wry Guy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 04:08

The last week or so I've been in the process of training my entrants on the Destructoid side. Got about 18 people interested so far. Probably 10 of them are training thus far. The orochinagi side I imagine wouldn't need that much prepwork.