Dream Match never ends!
Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke
Mudman (NGBC)

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Fri Jun 10, 2005 21:23

Clearly, the less expected character EVER. I don't think anyone was excited when he was announced, and I wouldn't blame you. He wasn't that great in the WH games (he was total crap in WH2, became a little decent in WH2j and he did OK in WH Perfect).

So, what would you expect from him? In the first place, he's a charge character, so all chargies will find someone interesting to play with. Second place, a lot of his attacks are weird, but have a decent mid-range and stuff (he's bizarre).

Stuff known till now:

-His classic projectile (a blue little spirit runs on the floor to reach you).
-A variation of the projectile (Mudman throws the spirit in a +60° angle into the air).
-His "mashed potatoes" (lol) move (antiair... I really hope they made it less risky).
-The "spirits dance" throw (normal or special move? dunno).
-A tatsumaki like move. Can be done in mid-air (this variation is new for me).
-A strange DM, where he summons a giant ball of energy from the skies o_O It falls slowly.
-His HERO move from WHP (throw move?). He summons some bigger spirits and then he sends you into the sky.

Maybe I missed something, so, if someone notices I didn't menction any other move, tell me ^^

Discuss.

Kyosuke Kagami
Posts too much
A.K.A.:BROsuke
Currently Playing:A lot of things
PSN:KagaminKyousuke

Story

Post by Kyosuke Kagami » Sun Jul 10, 2005 07:11

A new hotel complex and a golf field is planned to be constructed in the territory of a pacific village in Papua New Guinea. The natives refuse to leave the place, but the legal department of WAREZ is very smart and it managed to make the construction go on. A natural resources' shark arrived to the village and took their tranquility away from them, and the date of beginning of the construction is getting nearer, as the natives are abandoning the place.

The unfortunate natives resort to the ancient traditions of their village. Since hundred of years ago the legend of the spirit-warrior Mudman exists, they offered sacrifices to the statue that represents this spirit, and all natives are praying and wishing the same thing:

"Mudman-sama, we beg you!"
"Help us, Mudman!"

The voice of their hearts goes beyond the barrier of time and it arrives to ancient times, touching the heart of the spirit-warrior.

"Faafa, god of earth! Grant our wish and guide us to the future!"

Original translation by Nightlord.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:50

im really wondering how mudman plays like exactly, since i never picked him while playing world heroes....so far, that match vid shows that his air d+b is pretty damn fast, anakaris style, so pressure is an option

and what are his reliable bread n butter combos?

BP
hunted by pedo police
A.K.A.:Leader of the Yoruzuya Dan
Currently Playing:Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, KoF XIII

Post by BP » Thu Sep 08, 2005 13:22

From playing the World Heroes installments; IMO, Mudman seemed pretty average as a character goes.

Projectile? Check. (Mud Attack, and later on, Mud Launcher which also acts as an anti-air).

Anti-Air? Check. (Mud Gyro and aformentioned Mud Launcher)

Tatsumaki-like move? Check. (Mud Cutter)

World Heroes Perfect managed to give his a special ability of gliding on the air, done by ABC and like everyone else, a super (that fits him quite well may I add).

Moving on to NGBC; I pretty much notice SNKP made him a little bit more interesting by making both his Mud Attack/Launcher faster for some potential mindgames. What makes the Mud Attack more useful is that it's super cancellable to both his Super Mudman Attack (qcf,qcf + P) and his Heaven Blows (hcb, f + A/B/C/D WHP super) that makes it quite ideal in combos.

Also, as seen and mentioned earlier; his d + K is VERY fast. Add the gliding ability imported from WHP and you've got something tough to deal with.

Mud Slider also seems to be faster and linkable to his crouch normals so it might work great as a quick knockdown/suprise attack. He looks like he recovers fast from it too, making the player go back to his Mud Attack/Launcher/Super Attack frenzy or his air d + K pressuring.

Not much's to be said about his new super though; but it might have it's uses.

The buttons on the Heaven Blows SDM depends on the location of where the pillar would appear. I believe it might be unblockable like it was in WHP.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Sep 08, 2005 15:34

Not sure about the Heaven's Blow being unblockable, but the beams appear and 'hit' really fast. Its like a super Yonokaze.

Iori E
Almost there! ...80%
Almost there! ...80%
A.K.A.:Yayifications!
Currently Playing:Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Post by Iori E » Fri Sep 09, 2005 08:58

Sorry if I'm getting into a mini-rant here, but I'm starting to hate Mudman. He excels in both pressure and keepaway, and the Mud Air Rider is very, VERY annoying. That is all...

Throws

Dakitsuki Punch
b/n/f+ CD when up close
Basic throw. Mudman leaps onto the opponent and attacks him/her while two of his blue spirit buddies dance.

Command Moves

Mud Slider
df+ D
Mudman slides along the ground, hitting the opponent's feet with the edge of his mask. Hits low (obviously), and sweeps the opponent off his/her feet.

Mud Kick
f+ D
Mudman raises both feet to kick the opponent. Just like his far standing D, except that he moves forward more and seems to attack quicker.

Mud Air Rider
mid-air d+ B
Mudman instantly falls down knees-first. This move is Mudman's best move by far. An overhead with good priority, this is the reason why Mudman is so cheap. Done immediately after the start of a jump, this move becomes a near-instant overhead that is hard to counter. You can even cross-up effectively with this move. Because of this move, no one beats Mudman at the high-low game.

Mud Flight
mid-air ABC
Mudman extends the length and duration of his jump using this move, where he flaps his arms like wings. This move makes Mud Air Rider even more dangerous, since it allows him to travel farther in one jump.

Mud Dance
d,d+ ABC
Mudman dances along with two of his blue spirit buddies. This seems to be no more than a taunt, but I notice that Mudman's super meter goes up when he does this. This move may have other uses I'm not seeing.

Special Moves

Mud Cutter
qcb+ B/D (can also be done in mid-air)
Mudman hovers in the air as he thrusts what looks like his loincloth (which seems to become razor sharp) a few times at the opponent. Good priority. You can move left or right using the joystick during this move. If you're in mid-air while doing this move, you can perform Mud Air Rider afterwards, before you land.

Mud Gyro
charge d,u+ A/C
Mudman quickly spins upward and then lands back down just as quickly. A really fast anti-air.

Mudman Attack
qcf+ A/C
Mudman summons one of his blue spirit buddies from his mask, and the spirit runs along the ground toward the opponent. A common fireball projectile, and an important part of Mudman's keepaway game.

Mud Launcher
qcf+ B/D
Mudman summons one of his blue spirit buddies from his mask, and the spirit is launched far into the air and then back down. Basically a projectile that travels in an arc. Another important part of Mudman's keepaway game, since it's both an anti-air and a method of zoning.

Super Moves

Super Mudman Attack
qcf,qcf+ A/C
Mudman summons a huge blue spirit from his mask, and the spirit runs along the ground toward the opponent. I believe you can cancel into this move from Mudman Attack, making for some nasty super combos. This move consumes 1 Super Bar.

Seirei Kyuu
qcf,qcf+ B/D
Mudman summons a huge sphere of glowing blue energy that appears near the top of the screen, which comes down toward the opponent. Mudman wears a different mask while performing this move. Good for anti-air, zoning, or just plain block damage, but keep in mind the distance or else the move will not touch the opponent at all. This move consumes 1 Super Bar.

Heaven's Cross
hcb,f+ A/B/C/D
Mudman summons a pillar of light somewhere on the screen (the location depending on the button pressed). If this move connects, the opponent is stuck in the light as two large and muscular spirits fly slowly down, and then back up again as they take the opponent with them. Once they reach the very top, the opponent is thrown back to the ground. Mudman wears a different mask (looking like a baboon) and plays bongo drums while performing this move. If placed correctly, this move will hit the opponent instantly, or at least the opponent will be unable to move toward you because of the obstruction caused by the pillar of light. But if placed incorrectly (and I've seen it happen), you're a sitting duck for several seconds. Keep in mind that this move can be blocked, and if it is, Mudman will recover from the move early. This move consumes 2 Super Bars.

Combos

Here's a combo that Mudman players seem to use a lot:
Mud Air Rider, crouching B, crouching A, Mud Slider
This combo is a vital part of Mudman's pressure tactics, and optimum results are achieved if the opponent is in the corner. Mix up the Mud Air Rider and the crouching B for an incredible high-low game.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:25

mudman is imo top 10 in the game.....

yeah, his down B in the air is goddamn fast and if you mix up properly, can't get punished by gcfs......

im still yet to fight anyone who can get through mudman's qcf A/C & qcf B/D zoning other than yuki....

oh, and stand c, qcf A XX projectile super is a combo except in the corner...

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Sep 09, 2005 19:27

Yes, Mudman's dive and slide give him a good pressure game. He's not without his weaknesses tho. The main one is that his uppercut really blows. Once someone like Kim gets him into the corner, he's in serious trouble. The dive kick also trades with many anti-air normals (Kyo d+C), in the favour of the anti-air, since the dive kick itself does little damage.I'd wait for awhile for people to get used to his pressure and keepaways games before giving him a ranking.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sat Sep 10, 2005 01:19

AcidicEnema wrote:Yes, Mudman's dive and slide give him a good pressure game. He's not without his weaknesses tho. The main one is that his uppercut really blows. Once someone like Kim gets him into the corner, he's in serious trouble. The dive kick also trades with many anti-air normals (Kyo d+C), in the favour of the anti-air, since the dive kick itself does little damage.I'd wait for awhile for people to get used to his pressure and keepaways games before giving him a ranking.

yeah, have to agree that his anti-air is really crap.....i dont think its got much, if any priority at all. when i did it, it kept trading or losing to jump-ins, so i guess not...

yeah its true, mudman has a crapload going against him, but he's also got a lot going for him:

1. that friggin dive kick
2. great zoning game
3. he can runaway alright with his air ABC
4. good chipping/trapping potential

but yeah, i guess you're right. people will probably get used to how he plays and can counter him anyway.......

but atm he seems not too bad

Iori E
Almost there! ...80%
Almost there! ...80%
A.K.A.:Yayifications!
Currently Playing:Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

Post by Iori E » Sat Sep 10, 2005 01:38

I would think that Mudman players would use Mud Launcher instead of Mud Gyro for anti-air. And I'd imagine a constant barrage of Mud Air Riders would prevent many characters from doing an anti-air due to block stun. And if they do happen to pull it off, good Mudman players might predict it and simply block, or stuff it before it even happens using the "crouching B, crouching A, Mud Slider" chain listed above.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat Sep 10, 2005 02:59

Iori E wrote:I would think that Mudman players would use Mud Launcher instead of Mud Gyro for anti-air. And I'd imagine a constant barrage of Mud Air Riders would prevent many characters from doing an anti-air due to block stun. And if they do happen to pull it off, good Mudman players might predict it and simply block, or stuff it before it even happens using the "crouching B, crouching A, Mud Slider" chain listed above.
Well, what AE was trying to say is, Mudman does not fare too well when rushdowned.

Although built in a similar mould as Marco, he isn't as frustrating to fight against as his damage potential and general priority are lower compared to Marco.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Sep 10, 2005 07:31

Iori E wrote:I would think that Mudman players would use Mud Launcher instead of Mud Gyro for anti-air. And I'd imagine a constant barrage of Mud Air Riders would prevent many characters from doing an anti-air due to block stun. And if they do happen to pull it off, good Mudman players might predict it and simply block, or stuff it before it even happens using the "crouching B, crouching A, Mud Slider" chain listed above.
Well, the example, I listed (Kyo d+C) works fairly effectively. It only takes one button, so it can be pressed on reaction the moment you see Mudman take to the air. Damage wise, Kyo's d+C does a lot more than Mudman's Air Rider, so even when traded, its much in Kyo's favour.

Whether enough characters in the game will have a counter like that, remains to be seen. Game is too new, and Mudman isn't used enough.

The main difference between Mudman and Marco right now IMO is damage. Marco does lots of it, Mudman not so much.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Sep 10, 2005 19:33

Heaven's Blow is (IMO) one of the best supers in the game. Starts up as fast as Goenitz's Yonokaze. As long as you keep your head, its basically almost a sure hit. A good overall strategy with Mudman is to build meter with the Dive Kick, c.B>c.A>slide pressure, then playing keep away once you have meter. The moment they try to close distance, nail 'em with Heaven's Blow and start pressuring again.

A version has the beam appear BEHIND Mudman. You almost never want to use this version. B version appears just in front of him. C version further forward. D version almost (but not quite) across the screen. Mudman is one of the few characters who can punish Marco's Vomit and Tung's Level 3 from far because of this super.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Sun Oct 02, 2005 14:09

Mudman certainly doesn't fare well when rushdowned, I tried him today in versus a few times and when the opponent gets close he has very little options except for the E button when blocking. d,u+P can be easily snuffed by other attacks so it's not a dp that you'd want to rely on, but as an early anti-air it's pretty good.
I need to find a good strat for Mudman against players, he is very good against the CPU but doesn't fare as well against other players, keeping away with Mudman for me is not as effective, got any ideas?
Strategically, Mudman is ineffective when the opponent has more life than you do. Perhaps I can try to mix up more with his jump d+B.
He can do his jump d+B after his qcb+K.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Oct 02, 2005 23:49

AcidicEnema wrote:Heaven's Blow is (IMO) one of the best supers in the game. Starts up as fast as Goenitz's Yonokaze. As long as you keep your head, its basically almost a sure hit. A good overall strategy with Mudman is to build meter with the Dive Kick, c.B>c.A>slide pressure, then playing keep away once you have meter. The moment they try to close distance, nail 'em with Heaven's Blow and start pressuring again.

Mudman is one of the few characters who can punish Marco's Vomit and Tung's Level 3 from far because of this super.
you can also combo it by doing stand C, qcf A/C XX hcb,f C if done with opponent out of the corner or hcb,f B if they're in it.....oh, and also, when you get marco zoning with grenades, this super is just too good to hit with.....
PenPen wrote:Mudman certainly doesn't fare well when rushdowned, I tried him today in versus a few times and when the opponent gets close he has very little options except for the E button when blocking. d,u+P can be easily snuffed by other attacks so it's not a dp that you'd want to rely on, but as an early anti-air it's pretty good.
I need to find a good strat for Mudman against players, he is very good against the CPU but doesn't fare as well against other players, keeping away with Mudman for me is not as effective, got any ideas?
Strategically, Mudman is ineffective when the opponent has more life than you do. Perhaps I can try to mix up more with his jump d+B.
He can do his jump d+B after his qcb+K.
well, it's true mudman has very little to do against rushdown except for the options you listed there.....i was totally owned by robert once he got me stuck in the corner

but i guess with the dive kick, what i do is fake it a lot....do it short of hitting the opponent sometimes and mixup cr B, cr A, d/f D......or anyway what i do is knock the opponent down first then whiff dive kick, bait for anti-air then punish, mixup with either that combo, another dive kick or throw