Magaki strategies

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
Magaki strategies

Post by christensenray » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:20

There doesnt seem to be a topic for this (if there are, my apologies SS, feel free to show me the way)

Anybody got any strategies for Magaki? He seems to enjoy pwning me.

When he teleports behind you, you can attack for a free combo, and he sometimes lets in free jump combos. Rolling past his projectiles is a must. He still regularly kicks my ass though...

Any suggestions?

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:57

I find his AI and damage are just too random to formulate any counter strategy against. There just doesn't appear to be any obvious attack patterns like, say, '02 Rugal. Plus there is the added random factor of ghosties and fireballs on the screen to knock off half a character's life. Also the way the AI uses him changes quite dramatically between difficulty levels so what works at one place won't work elsewhere.

True be told certain characters have it easier against him (hint: Malin) and can jump in pretty easy (hint: Malin) and pretty much spam close attacks and constantly hit (hint: Malin.) But goal one for any character it to get into corner and repeat jump in combo until he TPs out.

One big bonus of the guy is that you can test out priorities of attacks. Found a lot of interesting things against him, like priority/invuln frames of throws and that Athena's LDM is quite vulnerable during the dive.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Tue Jan 10, 2006 15:09

Like Slapper Joe said, his AI is really too random, he don't wanna lose, he'll be invincible... But I've found some techs :

- With Shen woo, I made a perfect vs magaki just with : roll the first attack, and C, f B, qcf C x N, he don't block the C after qcf C... so hit him until his death

- With Duolon : another easy way is to dodge his attacks, and use his killer LDM combo... it's easy to get Magaki hit by a duolon cr A

- With K' : random qcfx2 P works effectively (and good damage), and when cornerd, df D, qcb D x N

The main important thing is to try to dodge his attacks, and after the first combo, repeat it till his death... But sometime he'll block evrything...

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Tue Jan 10, 2006 17:47

Yes, Magaki is incredibly random, and the less life he has, the less damage he takes. I was killing him using Clark with over 70% health and he had less than 5% health and in the end I still ended up losing the match because he kept teleporting away with a trail of fireballs in his wake. But anyway, on to what works for me:

1. Clark's Frankensteiner trick works repeatedly for me, but I can't seem to kill him using this method. He'll let you Frankensteiner him like 7-8 times in a row before switching tactics.
2. Duo Lon works increbibly well for me, since his teleport allows me to close the distance, and his qcf+P(x3) doesn't knock down, so I can keep the pressure up on him.
3. King works fine for me too, because I know the timing for her Illusion Dance to let her hit Magaki as he's throwing his fireballs. Just don't use it when he throws the pink fireballs, as the one travelling backwards will hit you out of the autocombo.
4. K's my number one point character for damage against Magaki. I just Blackout to him and keep pressuring him with crouching A, or jump-in at medium range. I play really safe and only do something like jump D, standing C(2hits), Heaven's Drive.
5. Oswald's LDM. Most of the time when I select him, I put him as Leader, as his LDM can just run past all the on-screen projectiles. Unfortunately, it also means I can't have Oswald first as I need at least one character to build stocks for him. And if I lose momentum with the offensive, my Oswald's a goner. Still, he's a good choice, because his LDM doesn't suffer much from damage scaling.

The really frustrating thing is, I can usually take down Magaki's health to less than 20%, but by then I'll be running out of time and I end up doing stupid stuff and losing anyway. And as with all the bosses in XI, it's extremely hard to damage him once he has less than 25% health due to the insane damage scaling.

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Thu Jan 12, 2006 04:04

I just keep jumping in timed just to miss his low ghost fireball, usually it is a tradeoff with ur first char, but the objective is to get him into the corner. Once you do, he's kind of a sitting duck. Do a combo that knocks him down, jump in do combo, rinse repeat. usually he doesnt block the jumping attack when getting up.

vtu22_2
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by vtu22_2 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 16:43

I agree with everyone that Magaki is fairly random with his moves. Although having beaten him already a few times, there are some things that I hope will make it easier for people to know.

- His fireball (Round, redish one that comes horizontally and vertically) takes less damage than the ghost fireballs. What I notice is that when Magaki throws a horizontal one, it disappears about 1/4 of the way, giving you a chance to run forward and attack.

- Avoid getting hit by ghost fireballs cause they hurt the most.

- Block high more rather than low. He can summon a ghost fireball above you which is an overhead.

- Within a certain range, Magaki does a flash burst to keep you away. What I do is knock him down and while he wakes up, low jump and block immediately. The best way to defeat him is up close.

- Almost everytime I verse him, he usually pulls out his LDM (Whole screen super) at least once. So be prepared to block whenever you believe he'll start the LDM.

- He rarely jumps. If he does, he'll do an E attack.

That's it for now. Not sure what else to say. Will post more if any comes to mind. Hope that helped though! =)

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:42

Cross-over attacks seem to get through more often than not as well. Trying to roll past him will just get you thrown a fair distance and he'll then begin with the fireball frenzy.

Managed to beat him for the first time the other day (just barely).

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:21

his wakeup is his flash attack, which has outprioritised every single attack i have tried to hit him out of it with......what i do is whiff a jump-in, then immediately roll. you'll land behind him, ready for a combo, but do it quick. He doesn't take long to recover

also, by sheer luck my team of duolon/shen/vanessa seems to do really well against him. Vanessa's bcf A/C goes under a lot of his stuff, and duolon's semi-infinite will kill him if you've got enough stocks.

Zaraki Zenpachi
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by Zaraki Zenpachi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 20:27

i have defeated magaki

i could defeat him without roles or that kind of stuff

actually if you take a good range,you must be damn expert and brave to run and jump over all his bullsh*t bullets and combine an air to ground combo

ive defeated magaki with iori's shinigami and qcfX2+P in the middle of his wake up

also the most cheapest thing i did was at the moment he is getting up,crouch and tap B,A,..and combo with anything,characters that can do this have the upper hand in defeating magaki

and those character that has some damn crazy high ariel priority in terms of range,and a air to ground DM combo gets most of the upper hand in defeating magaki

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 16:54

Magaki is not that hard to beat once you got his pattern. My strategy has a higher chance to beat him but the timing is very important here.

Keep a distance with him until he starts to create a low white fireball. He's very, very likely to do a high fireball after a few seconds (2 seconds or so), and in between this time, he's a free hit, basically. But the timing here is hard, since if you jump too early you will get hit by the low fireball, and if you jumped late his high fireball will hit you.

I wouldn't recommend going all out against him otherwise, unless you got Shen Woo or anybody with instant DMs that has loads of invincibility with stocks. Just keep a distance after comboing him.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:29

repeatedly doing k's heat drive from a distance on his wakeup works like a charm. he'll eat it every time.

also a random fact: his purple flash attack which stuns to high heaven that he does randomly and also for wakeup can reflect projectiles. I'm guessing since SNKP likes to tone up bosses for our pain and suffering, it can reflect super fireballs as well.

Robo-Ky

Post by Robo-Ky » Wed Feb 15, 2006 08:26

Kula's LDM also goes through everything Magaki comes up with, just pull it off right after he launches a ghost fireball. (Like poster said above, needs stocks to make this or Oswald worthwhile.)

I also did the Clark's frankensteiner-in-front-of-boss trick but if boss ever teleports away from it Clark usually goes unpunished or gets a measly 1 hit out of the "pink fireworks burst" move. This is still a good way to build stocks for Oswald or Kula though.

Most people I know go on the defensive (wait n roll) against Magaki... am I the only one jumping at him? Ok I roll too but well-timed jump-ins seem to work well for me.

The only time I actually defeated Magaki was with Oswald(L), Shen, Clark team. For some reason, I could easily connect jump-in combos with Shen. That, combined with frankensteiner + 2 LDM's = dead boss.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 23:07

Yeah, Shen's jump ins seem to be particularly good on Magaki for some reason.

The Heat Drive thing T.T suggested works like a charm too, heh. Managed to beat him for the first time with Terry/K'/Shen using the methods suggested here.

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Thu Feb 23, 2006 02:58

I discovered yesterday that if you use Oswald, and get Magaki cornered and grounded, that he just cant block the dpA and the strings that you throw at him. End in a qcbB that knocks down, and start the chain again with another dpA, and he (slowly) sucumbs.

iMuYa_

Post by iMuYa_ » Sun Mar 26, 2006 02:12

well base on my experience, u dun hav to rush magaki~ if u realise.. whenever u wana jump over him, he'll do tat skill and u'll be back from square one. wad i do is jus dash and roll over to the other side, works for me for abt 80-90% of the time, once u reaches his back u can start to wack ur combos on him~ another thing is when he starts spamming wif the fireballs(my frien showed me, works all the time but i cant seem to get it) is jus run to him, do a normal slam~ u'll jus see the fireballs floating pass u~ the oni thing to worry abt is when he has 2 gauge and above, roll over wif caution; but the most likely case when u roll over wif him having 2 gauge and above is he'll grab u, burst into purp flames and he'll do his tat special which covers the full screen.

so in summary, dun even bother trying to jump over him, be patient, roll to his back and start poking ^^