Gai(XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
samliaoxuan
Is it a bot?
Gai(XI)

Post by samliaoxuan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 14:02

so...in s'pore...Gai has been unlocked at both machines in Bugis...

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Jan 27, 2006 21:39

Anybody use him? I've played 2 people who played pretty well with him. Seems like a mix of Vanessa and Angel with Joe-like normals. Momoko players would probably take to him.

- Normals in general have good priorty/range.

- Hop has good horizontal range, like Kula, a tad slow though.

- Good high low game. Overhead hits relatively fast and from 1 character space away, and chains into other moves. Crouch D is fast, has good range, and is cancellable (normally see people cancel into his dodge. Good way to maintain pressure in the corner.)

- Stand and crouch A's have good priority. Allows him to keep the pressure before he high/low games you.

- Dodge can cancel into a few thing, most notably a grab and a standing uppercut.

- Dodge> Grab is faster than Mary's. You can't just jump attack a dodge and hold up on the joystick, and jump over the grab. You *will* get grabbed. Only countermeasure i've come up so far is to mash for throw if I happen to jump into a dodge.

- Grab does a lot of damage that doesn't seem succeptible to 'life' scaling.

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Fri Jan 27, 2006 23:38

Since we will most likely not see him over her for at least another 5-6 weeks I guess the important question is does he have crazy poke pressure like the CPU version with s.B (or whatever that advancing shin kick is?)

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 08:02

Easily the freshiest and most interesting fighting style in a 2D game for a long time. He takes a beating, deals out big damage given the chance, can be played brain-dead or you can really thrown in the tactics.

All his normals are really good. s.B can be spammed Rolento/Big like. Rolls of course hurt this tactic, but you would be suprised the number of hits you will get as the other player tries to get out. Close and far look identical, but close can be cancelled to special/super.

c.B is also a really good kick. If there was a special to use after the c.B, c.A you would really be laughing. c.B, c.A, c.C comes so close to linking. c.D is solid as well. Dodge, b+k on block. Or dodge, u+K/d+K if it is blocked deep.

j.D is all around good air-to-air and air-to-ground. Far D and c.C are both really good AA.

Both close heavys chain to the command attacks. f+C is the overhead chain starter. Has range but I'm not really sold on it. At range the followups of the chain will miss a lot. f+D doesn't have that problem though.

d,d+P is the fall to ground, u will uppercut. You can really get away without this unless a jump-in is really telegraphed.

Jump-in D, close D, f+D, f, b, uf does crazy damage.

The dodge(qcb+e), throw (hcf+e) could almost be considered broken considering the damage it does when low on life.

Dodge, dash (f+anything), something else has pretty strict timing. Chain with dash in middle will not combo. The dodge is pretty easy to grab and the amount of actual dodge frames is pretty small. It is best to go right into an attack after it.

Rush super is a pain to time. What exactly does the power up super power up??

Multiple df+D knees look possible after LDM in corner. Otherwise lots of df+D, dp+A is cool.

NEW EDITS:

No multiple knees in the corner. It does do chip damage at least. After f+D appears to be the best time to LDM, you'd be crazy to pick Gai as your leader though.

c.C is scary in it's range and speed, you'd think it was an Iori move.

Gai is really quick shift friendly, both in and out. Shame you can't QS during his chain dash. There would be some good throw games there.

Watch how you do moves out of the dodge, for example if you dodged then did hcf+e,e you would get the CD attack.

Speaking of the CD. The ground based is like Terrys, except it seems better slightly better on all fronts.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Fri Mar 24, 2006 04:02

hmm, Gai was recenly unlocked in our arcades... is there any comprehensive movelist / combos for this guy?

havent had a chance to play him yet....

could anyone kindly enlighten me? yah, anyone but you Ray.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sat Mar 25, 2006 06:08

You can get a comprehensive movelist from the Conquerer's guide. Downloadable from the mainsite.

IMO, to pick up Gai, all you need to know is
1. his BnB, which Slapper posts above, the various mix ups on block
2. his dodge and the dodge follow ups, especially the grab.
3. c.B>c.A> Super.

Oh yeah. He can QS during his BnB too. Mucho stun and damage.

Oh yeah X2. Jump B is a whore.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:52

I got him during a roulette match today. I didn't know his movelist, so I got owned, but his damage is pretty impressive. Kinda fun character, and surpisingly not that hard to learn, since I thought the timing for his chains would be quite difficult.

BTW, anyone knows what his qcf,qcf+P DM does?

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sat Mar 25, 2006 20:23

hmm, had a few tries with him.. I just found out that you could spam his dodging dash infinitely after his standing dodge (qcb E). he would keep dodging forward.. lol

as mentioned earlier, qcb E, command grab does insane damage. and has very high priority. it can even catch duck king's ground knee slide (WTH!)

can also be used as an anti air. very hard for opponent to jump away from it after landing the first jump. when playing against Gai, I just jump in and slam if he dodges.. :P

oh yah Slapper Joe, what's the best block damage combo you normally do if the opponent blocks your flying kick?

cant seem to find a decent combo with the crouching light kick/punch... have to test more first.....

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sun Mar 26, 2006 00:37

You won't be doing anything with chip damage. 60-70% of the damage Gai does will be from the triangle choke.

Anyways if someone blocks a jump in and you presume they'll block the high/low mixup then just use the f+D, b+D. Gives good spacing and is about even on block.

He doesn't have a combo after c.B, c.A except Rush (qcfx2+K)

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Thu May 04, 2006 04:30

BUMP!

Poor Gai got knocked to page two due to all these weird-PS2-Character- that-doesnt-help-Arcade-players-like-us-one-bit threads.. bah..

anyway, I figured out what Gai's LDM does after some intensive testing...

it's a one-hit (looks like a wired effect but not quite)... it makes the opponent fly back against the wall, but doesn't bounce back like a wired-effect hit.

If opponent gets hit by this, Gai would start flashing, and both characters in the screen (Gai and the current opponent) would not be able to tag out until one of them is dead. I haven't tried if this also prevents saving shift.
This is extremely useful if Gai has more health than the current opponent. Need to confirm about saving shift, if that is true, it would be really nasty..

Oh, did I mention the best bit of the LDM?
Gai can do his so damaging triangle grab as a proper command grab without doing his dodge move first. I.e You can do qcf E and it would grab immediately, You do not need to perform qcb E first. YummY!

So far, I managed to QS into Gai's LDM with it connecting while the opponent is in the air after "launching" them with Kula/Shingo/Gato. So I am pretty sure it can connect on both ground and air.

Have fun!

heh.

'ric

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu May 04, 2006 07:04

Yeah posted that stuff in various threads around here in February. Instant command grab gives him a combo, but it is still significantly less useful than his standard one. But if you must make him leader you will usually only land the QS into LDM in corner, and in that case preceed it with an E for a sliver more damage.

Still the worst LDM in the game, not being able to SS or QS out is a bigger hinderance to Gai than any opponent he can land the LDM on. Opponent low on health and keeping them in is good? Well most other LDMs would have KOed them and made that redundant.

But to add something to this thread, Gai's long half-bar, no-super ground combo ending in uppercut can be QSed out of after the uppercut hits but before Gai leaves the ground. Go ape on that.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Derrace » Sat May 06, 2006 04:27

They should have made his LDM such that only the opponent cant tag.

Been using his LDM as an anti-air..lol, what a waste...

Anyway, it's sad but, a Jump D, full Chain combo into uppercut does more damage then Jump D, grab combo.

maybe his Qcb x2 Punch DM gets buffed after LDM?

no blinking idea.... :o

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Sat May 06, 2006 09:00

qcb+E, u+P is very useful to him as well. It is 100% crossup proof and absolutely brilliant when you are stuck in the corner. Ending the chain with the dash -> generic throw works as well on both hit or block (this is where the LDM grab would be handy.)

hanzo_wong
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by hanzo_wong » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24

tried on the ps2 with gai...did you know can s D, f D and then grab?!...u can also do qcb E, u A or DM or LDM...thought you guys shld know....

Tiamat
Powering up...24%
Powering up...24%

Post by Tiamat » Mon Jul 17, 2006 19:06

Nevermind sorry.