Terry (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Dec 16, 2005 01:10

Here's what I noticed about Terry in XI:

- df+D command attack is gone, since CD attacks are back in. His standing E can now avoid low attacks. Try sweeping the CPU Terry and you'll see what I mean.
- Power Dunk is very fast like NGBC, but I think you can only Break it if it hits like in 2k3, and not if blocked like in Garou/NGBC.
- Burn Knuckle is slower, and A version doesn't combo from light attacks unlike in NGBC.
- B version Power Charge now combos from light attacks. It's also faster now.
- Crack Shoot now does 3 hits and knocks down (can't be recovery rolled from, it seems)
- Buster Wolf will have Terry continue flying forward a little if blocked, which means he's wide open to attacks if this move doesn't connect.
- Power Stream comes out MUCH faster.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by frionel » Fri Dec 16, 2005 01:15

you can cancel his power dunk if it's blocked, unlike 2k3

but the timming is a little weird :o

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Dec 16, 2005 09:42

Duly noted. Also, Terry's crouching B is no longer cancelable, just like in NGBC.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 00:47

Pretty sure this is old, but what the hell.

Terry can apparently do crouch D, QCB+A and have the QCB+A hit. I did it by accident today, but I can't remember if it was a counter hit or not >_>

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Fri Jan 27, 2006 05:56

One thing that nobody else has mentioned yet, I think -

Power Geyser is nerfed horribly. VERY slow now. About the same as 2k2 speed, if I remember correctly. Suffice it to say, between that and the fact that you don't start with any power stocks in XI, Terry's no longer in my team.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 06:17

Speaking of Power Geyser, does the old QCB,f + P shortcut work in XI? I remember it was taken out in 2K3.

I still use him in XI, largely because I can play him (mostly) like I did in 2K2, with a few modifications. Power Geyser being 2K2 speed kind of blows, but eh, what can you do :P

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Mon Feb 06, 2006 01:15

eeemmecks wrote: Shadowsonic: Terry plays nothing like 2k2 in XI. Have fun sucking.
Well, maybe not exactly like his 2K2 version :P
The main things I think he inherited from the 2K2 version is that his pressure stuff is a bit more safe in general, and his df+C being decent anit-air again, but that's probably about it.

Terry Bogard
Is it a bot?
A.K.A.:the lone wolf?...
Currently Playing:KOF13, MBAACC
PSN:terrybogardUS

Post by Terry Bogard » Fri Feb 10, 2006 07:06

eeemmecks wrote:
Why do you guys think power geyser is so important? It's good for catching obvious mistakes, but what else?
I use it as a damaging anti air before. How fast it comes out affects my play style with him. Seems I have to scratch power geyser as AA now...

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu Feb 23, 2006 20:08

Empyrian, by using Bustah Wolf as a ghetto Gato Palm Super has enlightened me on this one thing about Terry:

Buster Wolf and Power Geyser have *totally* switched roles.

In 2k3, Buster Wolf was better for combos cause it scaled better, and Power Geyser as a "look in my direction and you die" defensive move.

This year, Buster Wolf does PATHETIC damage when comboed into. However, when you get a counter with it, it does pretty good damage. Throw in the fact that hops have a lower trajectory in general this year and increased invulnerability for the Wolf (I believe the only vulnerable part now is his head), and the Buster Wolf is now *the* move of choice (save Power Stream, of course) when stopping hops/jump attacks.

Power Geyser, on the other hand, now sucks in every way, but it still scales pretty nicely in combos. Blah, blah> Power charge (2 hit) > Power Geyser does waay better damage then the Buster Wolf cancel.

Edit:

Another thing: Terry still rapes cornered opponents. Even more so when he's leader. Space out crouch Ds, vertical hop D's, light Power Waves, Crack Shots, and back them with the threat of a Bustah Wolf and Power Stream to kill telegraphed pokes and hops. Watch them crack.

SonicTempest
Posts too much

Post by SonicTempest » Fri Feb 24, 2006 04:38

What do you guys use to combo to power charge? I've seen dB dA, dB stand A and stand C as possible options, but which in your opinion is the most reliable/useful?

Trying to reduce my reliance on QCB+A >.>

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 04:48

cr. B> cr. A > hcf+B is what I normally do, but I don't use Terry very much in XI anymore. I don't think he sucks or anything, just that I kind of found his teammates more interesting.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Fri Feb 24, 2006 05:19

I try to do c.B>cA most of the time. Of course half the time I fuck up and c.B>s.A will come up. I'm not sure which crouchers his stand A misses against tho, but most of the time, c.B>s.A is fine too.

After a cross up, tho, you'd probably want to go for c.AX2> df+C

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Mon Feb 27, 2006 17:54

I usually used this as my bnb in 2003:

Jump (Hop) D, st+C, df+D, hcf+D, ff+D, ff+D, SC qcfx2 +k

I was testing out some terry stuff in XI and of course, df+D, df+C are taken out for the E button.

I noticed that the df+D kick is a auto knock down and doesn't combo after st+C, so I was wondering if anyone found another attack, or if I was just bad with the E timing.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 20:25

His previous df D is his body blow attack now, so no way to link it like 2k3...

you can do :
cr B, cr A, df C, qcb A
cr B, cr A, hcf B, ff B, ff B

and his C, C is now C, E... not cancellable, but you can link a buster wolf after it.

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35

flipONE wrote: I was testing out some terry stuff in XI and of course, df+D, df+C are taken out for the E button.
df+C is still there... and cancellable like always. E is the old 2k2 CD move, same properties for every character.