Shen (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Thu Mar 09, 2006 16:46

Geese wrote:actually I too have no problem building meter with Shen. Jump D, stand C, Forward B, Forward C (or qcf A) is safe on block and it builds about 3/4 bar.
Plus if you use him ultra offensively, you will definitely wont have problems.
Agreed. Shen is arguably one of the strongest pure offensive characters in XI, and if you're attacking often with him, chances are stocks shouldn't be a problem. He's not quite as high pressure as Duck or Duo Lon though, but Shen;s basic combo damage rivals Malin's.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Thu Mar 09, 2006 17:37

Maybe I'm not noticing that Shen Woo builds meter fast, but compared to duck and oswald, he builds it a hell of a lot slower.

Of course you play him ultra offensively, I'm just saying that he's not a Pixie or a Dial a combo type. He pokes hard and lands combos with low hits that deal massive damage. He doesn't do this with his bread and butters, especially since he rarely scores a knock down with them (unless SC into Super Punch or Headbutt).

I'm probably going to play some more today so I'll note down how much meter he builds and compare it to Duck, and Oswald, hopefully a friend is gonna help me test, so we'll be able to compare his meter gain to Vanessa, Sie and Athena.

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Sun Mar 12, 2006 09:58

jump A> hcb,f+ C is a ridiculously effective tick. The jump A doesn't even need to be done early. Can be done semi-late, as if you're going for a blocked combo.

Other stuff that qcb+C can deflect:

Kula's Ice Breath... more Anti-Kula goodness from everyone's favourite Manly Man.

Athena's Shining Crystal Bit Shoot

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:37

more on what it can't reflect, eiji's DM projectile and ryo's haoh sho koh ken.....

don't even try. I keep getting owned trying to show off >_<

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Sun Mar 12, 2006 21:04

I was wondering, whats the hitstun, blockstun, and pushback of the punch attack after qcf/b+E. can you do the punch and combo into f+B? Can you grab immediately after? I won't be able to test for a while.

PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35

Post by PenPen » Mon Mar 13, 2006 14:18

AcidicEnema wrote:jump A> hcb,f+ C is a ridiculously effective tick. The jump A doesn't even need to be done early. Can be done semi-late, as if you're going for a blocked combo.

Other stuff that qcb+C can deflect:

Kula's Ice Breath... more Anti-Kula goodness from everyone's favourite Manly Man.

Athena's Shining Crystal Bit Shoot
You can actually do jump D into hcb,f+C (jump D blocked), I think the key is to hit the jump D high first, and then do hcb,f+C after a very short while. Catches block-happy people!

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Mon Mar 13, 2006 14:20

flipONE wrote:I was wondering, whats the hitstun, blockstun, and pushback of the punch attack after qcf/b+E. can you do the punch and combo into f+B? Can you grab immediately after? I won't be able to test for a while.
I don't think it is. You can however SC it to SHEN WOO PUNCH or HEADBUTT though.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Mon Mar 13, 2006 16:28

How is the timing on something like that? Is it easy to hit confirm?

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Thu Mar 23, 2006 18:43

Shen's best "hit confirms" is off his SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE (QCF + P), a dwn B dwn A combo into the SHEN WOO HEADBUTT, and of course, the SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO. The QCF/QCB + E seems like one of those moves you pull off maybe once a match to setup for more SHEN WOO BEATDOWN, whether it's through his punch off of his QCB + E, or doing a SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO into the headbutt.

Anyway, tons of little things I learned from yesterday's arcade visit:

SHEN WOO GOES SSJ does 90% on a counter hit. My friend had 20% life left as Shen Woo against an opponent who was up by a character and a half. The guy was foolish enough to switch in his leader, so my friend went SSJ RIGHT in front of his face. Did a counter hit... I've never seen so much bar be drained in one hit since... well.. Ralf's Galactica Phantom. Guy switched out to his half-life character. SHEN WOO PUNCH killed him (while in SSJ). His leader came back in - SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO into a SHEN WOO PUNCH AGEN while SSJ did him in.

SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP gives Shen Woo a whopping 20% of a super bar EVERY time he bitchslaps a fireball away. Basically, if someone is trying to play turtle against Shen Woo by throwing fireballs all day, all they're doing is giving Shen power bar, and you do NOT want to give him power stock.

Doing the SHEN WOO GOES SSJ after the SHEN WOO BITCHSLAP is considered a SC, therefore you'll get the "fast" cancel which will allow you to retaliate with a SHEN WOO PUNCH or something extremely punishing.

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 05:01

More stuff:

You can build bar while in SSJ mode. Shen Woo couldn't do this in 2k3.

Did this a few days ago: SHEN WOO PUNCH, counter wire... then SHEN WOO PUNCH agen. 40% on counter, another 25% tacked on. This is versus Larf, so against Kula it'll do more. (Yeah, I know y'all are getting sick of my Kula h8.)

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Mon Apr 10, 2006 07:11

Yeah, I like to use shen's LDM as a sorta anti anything

Too bad it can be blocked though

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:16

LOL, Super Saiya Jin indeed! According the the mook, it does 60pts damage normally, and 88pts on a Counter Hit. That's not counting life scaling, I assume. I've seen it score a CH before, and it knocked off about 80% health, not 90%. I doubt anyone would be complaining though. :P

I'm pretty sure 1 point in the mook isn't equal to 1% damage, since Jyazu's LDM supposedly does 99% damage. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, because I've scored a CH with all 3 columns connecting and it did about 90% damage on a character with almost full health. Though I am pretty sure Ralf's LDM does 100% damage on CH: I killed Shion with it when she had almost 70% health. Since bosses take only like half damage (inititally), I think anyone can do the math.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 14:59

SHEN WOO PUNCH Lite, like 2k3, is unblockable when fully charged. Now, even the A version got this feature as well.

I think it's great for setups, when Shen Woo does a move (eg. hit by SHEN WOO PUNCH) or KOs an opponent character, he can start charging on the SHEN WOO PUNCH Lite and setup as an unblockable move of sorts. Just throwing out a theory here.

I think that charging the SHEN WOO PUNCH Lite after an opponent is KOed has better chances however. I think I need to study a bit more on this.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Apr 12, 2006 00:14

hmmm, is the time to store the charge similar to 2k3? if so, i think it may be a bit too long to use consistently. definetly something to use once in awhile i guess......

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Wed Apr 12, 2006 03:29

Faster than 2k3, definately. Its a very viable mix up with qcf+A>hold>D Cancel> Jump D.

Better still try (blocked) jump D> stand C> f+B> qcf+A (hold)> Unblockable
when you're powered up with the LDM. You'd be surprised at how often it connects.