Oswald (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 17:03

Regarding the ACE finisher - I don't think you can say that it's just about height. Yes height is essential in that you need to make sure the opponent gets hit and bounces back a little bit higher than normal, but the thing is no matter where the height of the opponent is, if Oswald hits in such a way that the opponent bounces off and away you're not going to get an ACE finisher.

Part of the reason why the corner dwn fwd a, qcf b, qcf a, qcf b, ACE chain works so well is that after bouncing from the wall the opponent will get sucked into the rest of the hits and not bounce away. This happens as the opponent is still on an upward ascent from the wall bounce. Some empirical evidence has shown that it's a lot harder to get the ACE finisher from any height if the opponent is at the apex of the upward ascent after the wall bounce, or if he's been on the downward descent for too long after the wall bounce - in those 2 situations no matter the height the opponent just seems to bounce away from Oswald.

While on the subject of ACE - can anyone do some testing for me on this combo I posted/saw a while back ago?
Opponent is *nearly* the corner,
Jump C (Oswald is in the corner), dwn b, dwn a, qcb c, qcf d (Oswald backs into corner), qcb b (need to do this to create the proper spacing from the corner), qcf b, qcf a, qcf b, qcf e.

It seems that this works fine except for when you have an incoming character after an opponent KO. In that case it seems more often than not all the hits *except* the Ace finisher will be performed. Is there any discernable height difference for an incoming character and a non-incoming character?

Edit: replaced a "not" where there shouldn't be any. Evil, evil nots.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by SonicWaver » Wed Apr 04, 2007 04:25

NONO.

I agree with your comment, but maybe i was misundaztood.

What i tried to explain is that ace finisher comes because of the height opponent has when he is hit by wire attack qcf+b, (rising opponent is something essential ALSO, but i didnt really talked anything on this).

If opponent has a high enough height after wire attack qcf+b, AND u immediately input qcf+E/qcb+E, it automatically HAS to become an ace finisher (doesnt matter if u center the opponent with the ace or not).

on a side note: If opponent has way a higher position at the moment you are about to hit him with wire attack qcf+b, BUT u immediately input ace after it, opponent may not be centered (at this point, as u comment, it is already understood that opponent is still rising upforwards because of the wall bounce) and that´s why not all ace´s hits may combo, but u will still get the finisher.

i hope i explain myself enough...if not (or if i´m mistaken), no problem :p

PS:Although i still have to try different approaches on this, with Ace, hitting a wall bounced falling opponent (most CMV hace Ace finishers when Oswald is nearside a cornered opponent, and not with opponent falling side to side (wall bounced to the other side of the screen, falling) can also connect an ace finisher there also, i´ve done it like 2 or 3 times
But my comments are mainly practical for opponents just after wallbouncing

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Wed Apr 04, 2007 18:43

Have you reached the pinnacle in the usage of Oswald?

Master this truly God Combo.

Oswald in corner, (2B-2A) or (2D-6A)
-24A-26D-26A-3A-24A-26B-26A-3A-24B-3A-26B-26A-26B-26E

If you manage to perform the combo in its entirety, depending on life scaling, it will take off 70-90% off an opponent's life bar. Other permutations, which occur if you either screw up on the timing/positioning or decide to end with a LDM would range from 40-70% damage.

It is also relatively safe (come on, if you screw up somewhere, just SC to Joker or something.) and I must stress this, inescapable.

Now master this and wreak havoc. XD

iMuYa_
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3

Post by iMuYa_ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:38

hmm dun realli understand the last part ther..

well lemme try to "translate" your numeric combo to wordings, correct me if im wrong ^^'

crouch b, crouch a[or down d, forward a], qcb a, qcf d, qcf a(hits air), diagonal a, qcb a, qcf b, qcf a(hits air)

for ur 2nd 3a, are u doing it on the same side wher u wired the opponent twice or isit ur doing 3a now he's at the corner? cos if ur 2nd 3a is meant for the outer area, anything after wouldnt hit would it?

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:40

I don't remember seeing this combo in the last 17 pages, but if it has been posted it should be mentioned again just cause it's cool!

Stolen from SonicWaver from the "solo 100% combo" thread:
If you haven't seen it, it's insane.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Been doing some more youtube Oswald research...

Post by Kane317 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58

...and have stumbled across a combo that *seems* easy, but I can't replicate.

According to 2:18 sec into the video Oswald does:
(Oswald facing corner) Jump C, Std D, Fwd A, QCB+B, QCF+A, QCF+B, QCF+E and the Ace Finisher connects completely but I can't seem to get the ACE to connect!
Oswald corner ace combo

An even bigger head scratcher is the following combo 35 sec into the same clip:

(Oswald middle of screen) DP+A, Crossup C, Std D, Fwd A, QCB+B. QCF+A, QCB+A, QCF+B. QCF+E

What's glaringly strange about this combo is that it breaks the mechanics of Oswald's Club-Diamond-Heart-Spade 3 rule. Notice after the Fwd A he does (1) QCB+B (2) QCF+A (3) QCB+C and (4) QCF+B into QCF+E. How does he pull off four sets?

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Re: Been doing some more youtube Oswald research...

Post by Derrace » Mon Sep 17, 2007 14:45

Kane317 wrote:...and have stumbled across a combo that *seems* easy, but I can't replicate.

According to 2:18 sec into the video Oswald does:
(Oswald facing corner) Jump C, Std D, Fwd A, QCB+B, QCF+A, QCF+B, QCF+E and the Ace Finisher connects completely but I can't seem to get the ACE to connect!
Oswald corner ace combo

An even bigger head scratcher is the following combo 35 sec into the same clip:

(Oswald middle of screen) DP+A, Crossup C, Std D, Fwd A, QCB+B. QCF+A, QCB+A, QCF+B. QCF+E

What's glaringly strange about this combo is that it breaks the mechanics of Oswald's Club-Diamond-Heart-Spade 3 rule. Notice after the Fwd A he does (1) QCB+B (2) QCF+A (3) QCB+C and (4) QCF+B into QCF+E. How does he pull off four sets?
Hi there, I believe for the first combo, you end it with QCB E.

No idea on the 2nd one. Maybe it's in arranged mode, it's a PS2 Ozwald combo movie afterall. Unless it's on atomiswave, I wouldnt even bother trying it out unless someone else confirms otherwise.

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 01:34

Check the post I made on the page before this, as well as Empyrian's link for the youtube video (is it still up?) for how you link 4 of Oswald's specials.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 08:18

Perfect Stranger wrote:Check the post I made on the page before this, as well as Empyrian's link for the youtube video (is it still up?) for how you link 4 of Oswald's specials.
Thanks! How did I missed that?
Perfect Stranger wrote:...It then shows then when the qcb a is the third move chained and the hit animation comes out by itself, you can chain another move, either his qcf p or his qcf k (qcb k is not possible).
What does it mean "when the hit animation comes out by itself"? Does it mean when the second part of the QCB+A comes out without the first part.

Has anyone tried it?

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Wed Sep 19, 2007 16:20

It's been a while since I seen the vid (and I'm in class now so I'm going to make this quick :P) but:

Oswald's qcb p moves really have 2 phases, when he rushes forward, and when he actually does a slashing motion with his cards. If the opponent is close enough Oswald does the slashing motion upon hit from the running motion, but if the opponent is too far away Oswald will do the slashing motion eventually regardless of whether he's hit the opponent or not. When I say the hit animation comes out I mean that, that the slashing motion has activated due to the opponent being too far away.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 21:09

Cool. My friend and I got the combo to work last night. For those jumping in on the discussion late and for clarification purposes:

Oswald back against the wall and approx. 2-3 character width from the wall--

(DP+A), Crossup C, Std D, Fwd A, QCB+B, QCF+A, QCB+A, QCF+B, QCF+E.

Thanks so much for the tips.

However, I was working on this 'pressure' pseudo-combo that I believe either you, derrick or emp mentioned on one of the earlier 16 pages.

(Dwn D), QCB+B, QCF+A, QCB+A, QCF+A~QCF+A

I was hoping that by connecting the Diamond+Diamond Finisher that it would put me at a safe distance if blocked. I can't get the 2nd QCF+A to work in the end.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Mon Nov 19, 2007 09:29

Oswald´s standing E can avoid ground based fireballs (like Kyo´s, Iori´s) A little timming is required, plus it still hits the opponent at the same time he avoids the fireball.

Momoko also can do the same.

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Tue Nov 20, 2007 03:48

SonicWaver wrote:Oswald´s standing E can avoid ground based fireballs (like Kyo´s, Iori´s) A little timming is required, plus it still hits the opponent at the same time he avoids the fireball.

Momoko also can do the same.
Hi there, just wondering about what you have just said....
hmm, for Ozwald, he has a "jump" annimation when does Stand E, same with Momoko. But both Iori and Kyo is on the ground. can someone verify you can actually avoid fireballs with Kyo's and Iori's Stand E?

I know Kyo can do so with Stand far D.

Perfect Stranger

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Nov 20, 2007 09:14

He means you can avoid ground fireballs like Iori's qcf p.