Oswald (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:14

Derrick wrote:well, I am sick and tired of this PS2 posts flooding the forum, that's why I dont really post anymore.. plus there's not much to comment on..
This is in fact over-simplied and may sound like a superiority-complex, but it is actually 100% true. Also the continual finding of things that make the game engine look really bad (eg. BT recombos, QS morph-thru crossups) dulls the enthusiasm to talk about the game a lot. I guess there is also the disappointment that PS2 arcade mode is buggy and about as close to arcade perfect as every other PS2 port in existance (read: poor.)

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Thu Jul 27, 2006 02:32

Getting more and more offtopic, but, care to elaborate on:
Slapper Joe wrote: (eg. BT recombos, QS morph-thru crossups)
and
Slapper Joe wrote: I guess there is also the disappointment that PS2 arcade mode is buggy and about as close to arcade perfect as every other PS2 port in existance (read: poor.)

Slapper Joe
More power! ...69%
More power! ...69%

Post by Slapper Joe » Thu Jul 27, 2006 04:37

Perfect Stranger wrote:Getting more and more offtopic, but, care to elaborate on:
Slapper Joe wrote: (eg. BT recombos, QS morph-thru crossups)
and
Slapper Joe wrote: I guess there is also the disappointment that PS2 arcade mode is buggy and about as close to arcade perfect as every other PS2 port in existance (read: poor.)
Yeah, realized it was off-topic, but the Oswald thread isn't really a bad place to put it. A lot of this stuff actually applies to him.

BT recombos: If you can get someone backturned during a combo (typically by a well timed QS) you can end the combo (the combo-counter will reset) yet there will be frame/s when the other guy can't turn around and block so you can start up another combo for free. Obviously you lose damage scaling this way, and being backturned the warped knockaway which is less than facing forward allows even longer combos (the bigger the character the less the push away, much like duolon double palm combos which are easier to land on wider characters. ) AND the bonus damage on backturned seems to apply to this setup as well. The only way around this tends to be a frame perfect-roll, and I'm starting to believe some of these setups can even beat that out. Saving shifts also have a habbit of messing up if you are BTed.

QS thing: A lot of moves on hit, and some on block when QSed out of lets the character coming in choose what side to attack from. You come in from the right direction, don't attack and land. One frame you will be on the proper side, the next if you attack you will be warped behind. Thats cool on stuff that hits, but blocking something then having to face that quick of a crossup is horrendous. Rolling without burning a level of meter from this is hard and quite unrealistic.

Some of the bug videos you see floating around on the web won't work on the Atomiswave version. Also there are juggles that work in the PS2 version that will not in the arcade (juggles using Jyazu's bullets seem particularly prone to working in one version or the other.) I swear Liz's dp super doesn't launch as high when QSed off in the PS2 version as well, and instead has a bit of an increased float (interesting tidbit, all sorts of WIERD things will hit during the start of that float that flat-out should not if the engine was consistent.)

I could also get into speculation that hit boxes are different as well, but that is impossible to prove. Certain anti-hop attacks just seem to be a whole lot more effective on the PS2.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:18

Ok, so the game has a few bugs and glitches...now although I haven't seen it first hand, I can't imagine how abusable it really is. But let's say that it is, it doesn't sound like it's OMFG it's broken!

I still don't seen why there should be a decline on discussion, with the new release of the PS2 version, more combos, strats, and youtube (we didn't have this 'tool' for any other year for kof) this forum should be busy.

I didn't play this much one in the arcade as much as I did the last 10, so I for one, am anxious to discuss gameplay etc...coz where else do you learn if you don't go to the arcade as often? Especially with youtube, information is passing faster and faster...I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Enough with the babble, question:
If not a leader, what's the best BnB SC combo (or preferably without SC if possible) to use for Oswald. I know ACE combos DO the damage of regular DM combos, but what do you guys use other than:

(d+B, d+A ) / ( s.C, f+A, ) qcb+A, qcf+A, SC into qcf~hcb+P DM

shura
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by shura » Fri Jul 28, 2006 15:57

sorry if this had been discussed before but i still can't understand:

dfA on a downed opponent is unblockable?

so ozzy have 2 unblockables?
one on the incoming chara after a ko
and another that you can execute everytime you sweep your oppo?

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Fri Jul 28, 2006 18:24

i dont think u got it right....

after an opponent is down (KO, the message on screen says "DOWN") before the next chara comes in, u can make the df+A on the incoming chara, and he wont be able to block it (cuz he cant block on air)

(i dont think u can df+A after a sweep, mainly because u can't cancel Oswald´s d. D after his second hit (the one that sweeps the opponent)

shura
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by shura » Fri Jul 28, 2006 19:08

yes i know of the glitch that allow you to hit an incoming..but on another forum there is one that say there is another unblockable

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Fri Jul 28, 2006 19:18

shura wrote:yes i know of the glitch that allow you to hit an incoming..but on another forum there is one that say there is another unblockable
I think someone said it was unblockable, but u can roll out of it because you are on the ground...

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Fri Jul 28, 2006 23:18

Derrick wrote: I think someone said it was unblockable, but u can roll out of it because you are on the ground...
im 10000000% sure u cant roll out of it Derrick, mainly because incoming characters "jump in" and if you time Oswald´s "10", u will catch the opponent while he is jumping in (not on the ground, so, no rolling for him)

thats why it is called "unblockable" :p
Last edited by SonicWaver on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

shura
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by shura » Sat Jul 29, 2006 01:16

sonic we're talking about the ground UB not that for the incoming..
so during opponent wakeup frames someone say that ozzy can land an UB dfA

Perfect Stranger
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Sat Jul 29, 2006 07:20

Think we've covered this before, but to re-iterate: The recovery frames of Oswald's dwnfwd a are unblockable. When a new opponent is jumping in from a previous character being downed, there seems to be no way to avoid it. If you're getting up from the ground, you are theoretically able to roll/punish with an invincible super, etc.

-Defuser-
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by -Defuser- » Sat Jul 29, 2006 18:44

Perfect Stranger wrote:Think we've covered this before, but to re-iterate: The recovery frames of Oswald's dwnfwd a are unblockable. When a new opponent is jumping in from a previous character being downed, there seems to be no way to avoid it. If you're getting up from the ground, you are theoretically able to roll/punish with an invincible super, etc.
yes,it has been covered before,Tournaments actually bans df A incoming team members when their characters get knocked out.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Sun Jul 30, 2006 01:03

so, in simple words, there´s only 1 unblockable (the one known by everyone), right?

(cuz shura's post kinda confussed me..... UB df+A?)

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Sun Jul 30, 2006 02:27

yes for oswald there is only one unblockable, but other characters have unblockables too (mary and clark)

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 22:10

*Ahem*
I repeat, If *not* a leader, what's the best BnB SC combo (or preferably without SC if possible) to use for Oswald. I know ACE combos DO the damage of regular DM combos, but what do you guys use other than:

(d+B, d+A ) / ( s.C, f+A, ) qcb+A, qcf+A, SC into qcf~hcb+P DM

Hmm after testing with opponent in the corner: j.C, s.C, f.A, qcb+A, qcf+B, opponent lobs to the other side, qcb+A (C is harder to connect or doesn't at all), any DM works (qcf~hcb+P for DC possibilities and slightly more damage, and hcbx2+P for style points--style points do more psychology damage to opponent and boosts user's morale =)