Oswald (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Shirakani
Powering up...15%
Powering up...15%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Shirakani » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:58

It has mostly to do with the amount of 'drag up' that Oswald has to do. It seems like his ACE move will only drag the opponent up a certain height, regardless of how well you time it. If it doesn't reach the top of the screen then no finisher.

At least ppl now know the trick behind the move, so long as you can make your opponent bounce higher than half screen height at the first point of contact of the qcf+E, it will always do the finisher.

MCR
Charging...15%
Charging...15%

Post by MCR » Sat Jun 10, 2006 23:33

Ok.

Now this make a little more sense.

I can see now why the person on the video does (when he's near the corner) random starter and QFC+b, then QCF+a, then QCF+b again. Those moves make the opponent go higher on the screen before it bounces of the wall.

I must say, I've tried to do that but always get confused, most of the time I SC to his ranbu attack.

I see what the problem was with me:
I always wait for the opponent to come down to me.

I'll try that next time I'll go to the arcade.

On the other hand I like the counter/dissapear move (RDP+B,D). Terry's buster wolf move, Vannessa's ranbu (every ranbu for that matter).
I think it's a good corner-shifter; it also saved me several times.

I usually do the RDP+b to get behind them and then D.b,D.a,DF+a (the usual). After they get the drill (start blocking low) I do the RDP+D, this way I get a C punch coming down (while they are blocking low).
Good for mind games (and for annoying people :D )

Thanks a lot for the help. :salute:

One last thing:
I use Shen, and most of the gamers at the arcade know that the leader explosion it's coming. They try to play like me with Oswald. If you block low I'll do the QCB+b for an overhead and then continue with QCF+a, QCB+C (SC to ranbu) or the wall then ACE.
I've managed to pull the leader move on the overhead QCB+b and the guy continued to do the combo.............. LMAO :LOL: rofl Down it goes the life bar (about 80%). :lame:

Thanks.

I'll try that combo you posted SonicWaver.

Since I don't have an imported PS2 I hope someone post the ACE requirements when they've played the console version (you know, practice menu).

:worship1: Thanks again :worship2:

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Sun Jun 11, 2006 01:35

im pretty sure there wont be any extra tip about Ace´s final hit in the practice menu.

(since it doesnt require anything special...besides what we ´ve told by now)

and also because the final hit doesnt require a special command input or anything....but yeah...lets wait anyway.

kaworuscott
Charging...8%
Charging...8%

Post by kaworuscott » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:15

Does anyone have the exact notations of the juggles in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4hGXsvv ... rch=oswald

it's a bit blurry, thankies.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 03:49

it seems that in combos that involve the ace finisher, the closer you are when you land your d/f A, the more damage it will do. So, for instance, if you do d/f A, qcf B, qcf A, qcf B in the corner, standing closer to your opponent when you do the d/f A will net you that extra damage

and if no one's mentioned this before, his qcb A can be comboed after, while only sure-juggle moves can combo aftetr qcb C in the air

shura
Charging...50%
Charging...50%

Post by shura » Mon Jul 10, 2006 09:18

kaworuscott wrote:Does anyone have the exact notations of the juggles in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4hGXsvv ... rch=oswald

it's a bit blurry, thankies.
1)in corner, from a crossup
2)centerscreen, from a crossup
3)Crouch attack, standing up
4)centerscreen, from QS
5)in corner, from QS
6)center, from QS
7)corner, from QS
8)in corner, after [10] (?)
9)from [10](umblockable)
10)thanks and greetings.

-Defuser-
More power! ...25%
More power! ...25%

Post by -Defuser- » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:11

Btw,does anybody know whether his Ace attack still does massive damage in arrange mode?

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:16

-Defuser- wrote:Btw,does anybody know whether his Ace attack still does massive damage in arrange mode?
1.-not as much as in arcade mode, but still, its damage is better than any of Oswalds normals, just checked it out.

2.- Arrange mode Oswald has some flicks removed, for instance...at some points, ive seen that u can not longer connect standing A into LDM if u hit opponent in the air with the standing A...but i still see him move fast (i can easily connect 3 x c. A)
SW wrote:im pretty sure there wont be any extra tip about Ace´s final hit in the practice menu.
just wanted to confirm this, there is not tip on the skills menu...funnily enough, they miss Ace´s backwards input option (qcb+E) in the skill menu...

jeje

Kain
Charging...50%
Charging...50%
XBL:Ocelotzin
PSN:Ashlar_Kain

Post by Kain » Tue Jul 18, 2006 03:40

I'm quite the n00b regarding Oswald. So far I can use his dwnfwd + A... Ace combo with finisher in the corner. I'm having trouble with getting Oswald to perform the finisher with a c.C, fwd+A, qcb+A, qcf+B, ACE. And that's because I don't get this 'qcf+A whiff', the window is too small and I also don't know if it's done in the corner. Can you help me with timing? :oops:

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 14:54

Kain wrote:I'm quite the n00b regarding Oswald. So far I can use his dwnfwd + A... Ace combo with finisher in the corner. I'm having trouble with getting Oswald to perform the finisher with a c.C, fwd+A, qcb+A, qcf+B, ACE. And that's because I don't get this 'qcf+A whiff', the window is too small and I also don't know if it's done in the corner. Can you help me with timing? :oops:
I don't believe Ozzie can do the ACE finisher, at least not consistently, if a df+A isn't included. Remember, Oswald only does the finisher if the opponent bounces more than halfway UP the wall off his qcf+K--since the df+a juggles the opponent and hence makes the qcf+K bounce higher ==> ACE finisher.

The thing with Ozzie's combos is that it's really more location dependant than any kof char in the entire kof history. Assumingly if you're near in the middle of the STAGE and have your back near the SCREEN then d+A, qcb+A, qcf+D, qcf+A (whiff), (opponent now on the other side) df+A, qcb+P, qcf+K, qcf+E works.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:29

Kane317 wrote:
I don't believe Ozzie can do the ACE finisher, at least not consistently, if a df+A isn't included. Remember, Oswald only does the finisher if the opponent bounces more than halfway UP the wall off his qcf+K--since the df+a juggles the opponent and hence makes the qcf+K bounce higher ==> ACE finisher.
not consistently, but yeah u can time it witout the df+A with a lot of practice.
(maybe you will get 3 out of 5 finisher attempts)

just time the opponent´s altitude , the 8 hits he has to input while spinning, and keeping the opponent centered in his "spinning" (on every part of the stage) but its hard due to Oswald´s variations... (spinning may fly them away, may not hit, may miss because of Ozzy´s location, etc...)

alexis
Powering up...44%
Powering up...44%

Post by alexis » Thu Jul 20, 2006 17:21

Actually, the "keep the opponent centered" is OK but not necessary.

Try this. If you stand toe to toe with Maxima in the corner (this is about the distance in which this will work), do df+A, qcf+B, qcf+A, qcb+B, qcf+E without any timing whatsoever and the Ace will hit. Delay the Ace slightly, and even though he/she is not center, he WILL bring them to center for the final hit.

Altitude seems to be the name of the game. Don't get me wrong, there IS a certain range of applicability, given that if you try to early or late, you will only get one hit. I just thought I should mention that. It's a very interesting property that helps you understand the timing (instead of being directly above you, do the Ace so you hit him/her at the peak of the bounce).

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Fri Jul 21, 2006 08:59

alexis wrote:Actually, the "keep the opponent centered" is OK but not necessary.

Try this. If you stand toe to toe with Maxima in the corner (this is about the distance in which this will work), do df+A, qcf+B, qcf+A, qcb+B, qcf+E without any timing whatsoever and the Ace will hit. Delay the Ace slightly, and even though he/she is not center, he WILL bring them to center for the final hit.
Not always, i have made Os input the 8 hits on opponent and with the df + A altitude, and still sometimes he misses the finisher because although the 8 hits connected, opp was a little too far away. ("just altitude" is not a 100% reliable only requirement)

(i know that ACE finisher drags opponents into the center of Oswald´s spinning position, but in no way its just about the altitude and the 8 hits)

And..using Maxima for dummy isnt the exact way for telling me about not centering the opponent and still getting the finisher move....F´in huge collition box

(try that on Malin and tell me)

just my experience, anyway, almost nobody posts here anymore, so...

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:19

Yeah activity has been slowing down, especially considering that the PS2 version was released only less than a month ago...

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Wed Jul 26, 2006 14:59

Kane317 wrote:Yeah activity has been slowing down, especially considering that the PS2 version was released only less than a month ago...
well, I am sick and tired of this PS2 posts flooding the forum, that's why I dont really post anymore.. plus there's not much to comment on..