KOF XI tier list.

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Xenogias
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Xenogias » Fri Nov 25, 2005 18:05

ShadowSonic wrote:You know not the horror of facing a Duolon in an Asian arcade :X
Well I donno about that :P I mean I dont live in Asia or anything, however, my friend copied his Duo Lon, Ralf and Goro from a few Asian players he saw back then.

I dont remember the video, but you guys will probably remember it by the cheesy introduction of the asian players, like all the asian guys were wearing black or something, and you see fire around their pictures, The video looked kinda cheesy but the matches were awsome to watch. In fact I think that link was posted here a long time ago in the other forum, cant remember.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sat Nov 26, 2005 04:35

Xenogias: Enough with the off-topic. There is an infinite by DL in XI. Just check on his thread here although it has been disputed. There is supposedly a stronger/better version of his infinite but for the moment the combos listed on his thread should suffice.

The only known way for now to break Vanessa's infinite is to Saving Shift BEFORE you can juggled in the air.

In addition, although XI may not be in your area, it has been around in Japan and Korea for e.g for more than a month. I assumed that they have the skills and the right to compile a list(s).

EOS.

Fuu: Game is very playable imo. Sort of converted me, an ex-NGBC fan. XD

Undeniable: Ralf = strongest character in terms of singular hits. A simple (jump C,) stand C, dp P takes more than Kyo's Dokugami rubbish. (though I must admit Kyo's look much more cooler.)

Persona
last rank
last rank
A.K.A.:BANNED
Currently Playing:BANNED

Post by Persona » Sun Nov 27, 2005 08:35

In future updates I think gato will be moving to another rank.

As for Kula, I don't really think she'll be moving anywhere far, if at all. She has too many good things going for her this year.

I think Elizabeth and Vanessa went up in rank.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Sun Nov 27, 2005 13:04

Persona wrote:In future updates I think gato will be moving to another rank.

As for Kula, I don't really think she'll be moving anywhere far, if at all. She has too many good things going for her this year.

I think Elizabeth and Vanessa went up in rank.
MY NOOBISH LIST!

S rank: Kula, Gato
A rank: Kyo(+0.5), Iori, Oswald(+0.5), Jenet, Kim, Yuri, Kensou, K`
B rank: Benimaru (+1), Eiji, Clark(+1), Ralf, Shen
C rank: Momoko, Maxima(+1), Terry (+1), Duolon(+1), Duck, King, Griffin
D rank: Ash, Vanessa(+2), Ryo, Whip (+1), Kasumi, Malin
E rank: Elisabeth (+2), Shingo (+1), Athena (+2), Ramon, Mary

Hmmm... Actually I pushed up some of the B rankers of that list to A. However characters like Kyo and Oswald have a (+0.5) behind them. This means that they are marginally better when they are leaders.

In addition, I also believed that for Kula and Gato to be truly S class, they have to be leaders. If they are not, they are A class. I feel that the A rankers may be strategically stronger than the S rankers. It is just that Kula and Gato have insane LDMs with high damage and not suspectible to damage scaling.

Elizabeth IMO, is crap without the LDM. From what I see here, if she does not have gauge, she fared pretty badly. Same goes to Athena too. However I am willing to give her a try in my search for a 4th/5th character... ;p

Edited: Added Griffin.
Last edited by Empyrian on Mon Nov 28, 2005 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

-4n'Dant3-
Powering up...89%
Powering up...89%

Post by -4n'Dant3- » Sun Nov 27, 2005 18:59

i think k' could be considered S tier. i've never seen a character that could connect his normals, specials and dms so seamlessly.

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Sun Nov 27, 2005 19:27

jenet and kensou i draw a question mark on. i can't be too sure for their ranks.

Momoko is belongs way way down in ranks like in Ramon's rank. bad range and priority for momo........quite sad i was hoping for her to be better too.
why does maxima get a rank boost when he is leader? is there a reliable way of comboin his laser beam LDM?
duolon's been nerfed pretty badly so how does he fare without his infinite or meter?

vanessa should only move one rank up with LDM. it's not like you can do her infinite all the time

ryo is a solid average all around again so i would say B or C rank for him

kasumi much lower in ranks also

you left out griffon but he should be between C and E i guess.

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Mon Nov 28, 2005 05:41

K` is rather *meh* this year. Most notable is that his trigger (with or w/o follow up) is slow on recovery. What's worse is he does not have the 2k3's "I still burn you even though you hit me" and the unblockable bug properties. Although down b down a combos, he has short hands so you can get out of range. :/ He is still good to use though. Maybe back to 2k2 guerilla/hit and run tactics...

Reports of DL's demise are greatly exaggerated. Only his teleport and his aerial priorites have been nerfed. His down Bs and As still retain very good priority and speed. (masher's fave btw.) Veteran users of him may still be able to use him like a B rank but that's the highest he can ever get. A weakened DL can still beat a lot of characters. :p

I am not going to say anything bad on Angel, *cough* I mean Momoko. She is a character with a super steep learning curve. She has starter, chain and finisher moves much like Angel. Even her input command ranbu is complicated stuff. It seems that the 7 variations of the super can hit high or low and you wouldn't even know how to block the darn thing.

Maxima's beam super seems to be a pretty good move to use when opponents start sneezing in mid and far range like *Going to jump, do fireball, etc.* Not sure how strong is the move up close though. Although the super is not as insanely fast like Eiji's super fireball but still it's hard to punish Maxima. I think you can DC into LDM from his Bunker Buster which can be SCed from his qcf P chains. I suppose stand C/D, F+A to LDM *should* work too?

Why should Kasumi be lower? I have not been using her but her BnB seems ok. Hcf B counter works better than an uppercut when used as anti air.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Mon Nov 28, 2005 06:47

Wow, Kula in top tier? I haven't played XI, so can anyone tell me how she's been beefed up? I mean, Gato has always been strong since his debut, but while Kula has always been solid, I don't remember her being top tier.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 06:55

Tel wrote:Wow, Kula in top tier? I haven't played XI, so can anyone tell me how she's been beefed up? I mean, Gato has always been strong since his debut, but while Kula has always been solid, I don't remember her being top tier.
From what I can tell, she pretty much retained all her 2K2 strengths while gaining an improved C uppercut and an LDM that's really good for tag combos since it has the "hit anywhere" property and isn't affected that badly by damage scaling (mentioned earlier in this thread).

I love kula
Charging...23%
Charging...23%

Post by I love kula » Mon Nov 28, 2005 15:48

I like the fact that she got that 3rd hit in her crow bite. :grin:

Frederick
Mode Change!
Mode Change!

Post by Frederick » Mon Nov 28, 2005 22:38

yes K' is sorta bland. his trigger has been slowed down so wouldn't rely on it too much except for down b down a combos. uppercut somewat like 2k2. he can be poked out of his spike kicks. teleport meh as always. his air trigger seems to have bad recovery but i haven't used it much to find out. i think he still retains his far B poke and his standing D is a better pokes. his down C is a good interrupter and can add stuff afterwards. if his down b, down a didnt combo like 2k3 then he should have went back down in ranks. plus he can combo any of his dms easily from the crouching BnB. still have to use him a bit more strategically. come to think of it why is he A rank btw? shouldn't he be like B rank +1.

but duo lon teleport and aerial priorities were part of his insane arsenal in 2k3. B rank ok i forgot he gained some other weird combos.....

yes momoko is a complicated character but u placed her quite high in the ranks. did you even use her to see how bad she fares against other characters? or have you seen some crazy momoko gameplay from some player that made u think so?

from wat i can tell maxima's beam super has the same startup as it did in 2k3. i'm not sure if the beam comes out fast enough to be comboed in a DC or the f+A. on a side note, momoko can duck underneath his beam super!!!!!!!

you have to use her kasumi to c how bad she is compared to everybody else. sure her BnB is ok but problem is landing it plus the damage has been reduced for her BnB and regular counters. smart players will not get hit all the time by her hcf B all the time. and we can't counter everything like the kof 99 cpu for her can. range and priority for her air or ground normals suck. plus her rushdown or mind games are very limited.

Cascade
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by Cascade » Tue Nov 29, 2005 01:16

So it's not totally unbalanced, right? It looks better than 2k3's tiers.
I ask this because it looks like there are a lot of A's, B's, and C's. Does this mean the differences in strength between characters are less pronounced? Also, are these infinates you've referenced game-breaking?
In short, would you say that considering the balance here, it would be valid or fair for a tournament? I will have to wait quite some time before I play it.
[EDIT] I was going to ask if it is better than 2k3, but considering the reactions to that game on this forum, that's a rather stupid question. XD

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Nov 29, 2005 01:47

Most people I've talked to put it on the same level as 2K1 rather than 2K3.

And judging from the match videos, it seems to have that vibe as well. It's not really like 2K3 where Duolon was on EVERYONE'S team, but...let's just say that if I see one of the players using Gato/Kula I already know who's going to win :X

Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Tue Nov 29, 2005 09:07

2k1 tiers? I never played the game competitively, but Foxy and Lin were definitely in the running for S class, and by quite a large margin too. Are Kula and Gato that dominant?

Empyrian
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%

Post by Empyrian » Tue Nov 29, 2005 15:33

I just find K` to be a stronger version of Kensou. Not to mention he is quite hard hitting too.

Maxima's LDM can be Dream Cancelled. ALL characters have a DC in this game if I am not mistaken but it is up to you to decide whether the damage is worth it or not.

I am not sure that Kasumi is that weak. Even Elizabeth and Shingo (non leader wise) have good combos that take off a fair bit of life.

My checks on Kasumi seem to suggest she is still ok to use. She has to if a, stand C, f+A, hcb, fwd C SC to either DMs take off 50% and a DC takes off 70%...
Air qcf punch seems to be a good move too...

Down D combos to qcb b which is a sure juggle move... I do admit having that many types of counters is kinda duh.

In regards to Kula and Gato, as mentioned before, non leader wise, I believe that they are A class (+0.5, maybe?)

Let's just say, if your priority beats them (in terms of aerial and normal moves like down b and stand C) and you have simple and safe combos and moves, you can counter them.

Well, the roster don't have much of these characters, apart from themselves, Iori and Benimaru. Kyo, souped up a lot this year fares very well against Kula but not Gato.

If Oswald is not a leader, then he can't really fight either one. (One can depend on that moon slasher DM for only that many times.... ;p)

Somehow when I read back, I find they aren't so A class after all, huh? XD