Oswald (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Perfect Stranger
MAX! Time to break stock!
MAX! Time to break stock!
Currently Playing:Hide and seek with cops

Post by Perfect Stranger » Wed May 17, 2006 04:59

Rather offtopic, but I'm not sure why you guys think someone else "copying" (I hesitate to even use that word) your combos is a problem - This is a fighting game, move priorities, combos, etc are set in stone at time of compilation, hence there is a finite number of possible combos/setups etc, and most of the time, there is really only one or at best, a few optimum choices for combos. If anything, if I knew that combo x was considered optimal, and someone didn't use it on me, I'd consider my opponent to be inexperienced, unless he was doing a setup for something else / trying a mind game etc.

_KC_
Charging...80%
Charging...80%

Post by _KC_ » Wed May 17, 2006 05:30

lets go back to oswald...
when opponent is in corner and you are also in the corner, timing for his ace follow-ups changes...any comments on the timing?

examples of some combos are the df a, qcf b, qcf a, qcf b...ACE

also cross-up jump c, blahblah, qcf b, qcf a(miss) opponent now in corner, df a, qcf b, qcf a, qcf b, qcf e...

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by christensenray » Wed May 17, 2006 07:03

With the qcfK, qcfP, qcfK, pause a sec before doing qcfP, then do qcfK straight away. Don't wait long before doing Ace, has shorter timing than normal.

Okay, I am having a serious problem with this combo:
QS in, jD, df+A, qcb+A, qcf+B, ACE.

Problem is, I seem to be too close to the opponent when I do df+A. When I'm far away, I have no problem, but if I'm close, the qcb+A hits too early and the qcf+B whiffs.
How do you deal with this? What about you oh Ace Master Derrick? (I'd ask you in person, but I'm always short on time).

About the only time I can get this combo to work is to QS after Duo Lon's qcf+A x2 and that's only if done at max distance. I've seen Derrick doing it with Duck often enough, so I know there is a way of dealing with the closeness problem… Any advice?
Oh, there is a good vid in the combo thread (pg9?) on Youtube that's very good for Ossies Ace

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Wed May 17, 2006 07:11

Sorry to double post but just spotted a bit of Derrick's bloody long post that I missed before about everyone at Orbit using the dfA bug.
We actually ask permission before the start of a match whether we both agree its ok to use. If the other player is not using Oswald, we don't use it. Well, that's the rules a few of us agreed to.

And Derrick's right: I do keep eating Derrick's Ace (oh oh, that don't sound good at all) :oops:

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu May 18, 2006 01:58

i noticed that you can delay the qcb A/C after the d/f A.......i guess that helps

but after DL's qcf A/C X2 tagin really shouldnt be a problem.....the hitstun is massive

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Thu May 18, 2006 03:28

Yeah, but the delayed qcb+A is necessary in other combos. Duck>Ozzie comes to mind.

(Duck) d.A*2>s.B>f+C> (Oswald) jump D> df+A> qcb+A (delayed)> qcf+B> Ace.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Thu May 18, 2006 06:02

well...just a comment:

ive never felt comfortable using df+A in Oswald combos (because sometimes i miss the df input and the qcf+a appears...) but well..ive never really used df and i´ve happened to get the ace´s final hit quite some times...

the thing is: actually timing...

i dont input c.c. E or anything...

its just about timing and the button u use (B or D) for the wire attack, the position where Oswald is at the wire attack, and sometimes, the Ace input option (qcb+E or qcf + E) because of the bounce effect of the wire attack...
(due to qcf+B or qcf+D, they do have differences in the opponents bounce)

i happen to land it 1 of each 3 times (and i just started to study Oswald)

xD

well, this is just my final guess here due to my personal experience, c_ya

Derrace
Almost there! ...61%
Almost there! ...61%
XBL:derrace
PSN:derrace

Post by Derrace » Thu May 18, 2006 06:28

Perfect Stranger wrote:Rather offtopic, but I'm not sure why you guys think someone else "copying" (I hesitate to even use that word) your combos is a problem - This is a fighting game, move priorities, combos, etc are set in stone at time of compilation, hence there is a finite number of possible combos/setups etc, and most of the time, there is really only one or at best, a few optimum choices for combos. If anything, if I knew that combo x was considered optimal, and someone didn't use it on me, I'd consider my opponent to be inexperienced, unless he was doing a setup for something else / trying a mind game etc.
The issue I had was, there are these lazy buggers in my arcade that don't bother playing the game or trying new characters until they see me using them and watching me do those nasty combos on them.. then they would just mimic that combo without knowing what other combo connects and such unless I do it on them....

They will stick to the same characters over and over again (Iori, Kyo, Ozzy... Ray you would know who I am talking about) and that's it. Day in day out.. well, they get good at them, but they still lose to my randoms at times. it's more of a 70-30 if I choose my characters.. but then again, it gets boring choosing characters and fighting the same characters over and over again.

Not sure about you guys, but beating a opponent with Random char selection + random leader select + random order just gives you that UBER 1334 feeling =)

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Thu May 18, 2006 10:31

to derrick about fighting the same chars over and over (and trying to end the offtopic) :

Com ´on... its like a Gato/Kula/Oswald orgy here everyday...just bare with it. (i know its hateable...but let things go...just show them they´ll never be at your same rank although they use the same characters u use...)

and on topic:
(i had a very weird theory about Ace´s final hit due to Oswald´s Karnoffel´s points...but lets evade it somehow...its kinda non true :p)

I think that the reason about why everytime people use df+A, people get the Ace´s final hit, is because if you would normally do sumthing like: s. C >fwd+A Oswald pushes away the opponent a lot. (and disbalances the timing on qcf++E to correctly connect/get Oswald above the opponent)

(everytime i was in the middle of the stage and tried the s. C, fwd+A into qcb+A, qcf+B, qcf+E, i never got the final hit...)

although this was greatly corrected when i started using qcb+C instead of qcb+A... and also mainly because of the reasons i have previously posted.

even though...I may be wrong...who knows.

*salutes

christensenray
Powering up...70%
Powering up...70%

Post by christensenray » Thu May 18, 2006 10:35

I took absolutely no notice of tiers in '02 because i felt all the characters were fairly roughly equal (cept for a few crappy ones like Chin and Seth).
But in XI, the top tiers are SO much stronger than the others, that i feel choosing other characters becomes a waste. Derrick, you remember MvC2? Everyone was either Cable, Sentinel or Magneto (often all 3). My Spidey used to blow em away because it was so RARE. But he wasnt as good as C, S or M. That was another game that, even though it had shitloads of characters, you had to use a small handful NOT to get your ass handed to you. XI is like that. About 6 GREAT characters, the rest merely good (and a few shit ones like Athena).

Erm, to keep on topic... I've seen someone (after the wall bounce) do qcb+P, qcf,hcb+P. I can't for the life of me get the DM to even come out (just get the 2nd qcb+P instead). Any pointers.
Oh, and his STUN combo with Maxima, only works against low defence characters.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu May 18, 2006 13:20

chin was actually well above bottom tier...somewhere around mid i suppose, since he was safe, good priority and did a crapload of damage

but anyway, im pretty sure that the maxima/oswald combo stuns every playable character.....you have to jump in with maxima to start the combo and do d/f A, not fwd A after the stand c/d.......but i dunno, not like i actually play maxima, meh

J]-[UN
More power! ...6%
More power! ...6%

Post by J]-[UN » Thu May 18, 2006 16:36

Well if you beat a highly skilled opponent using his best team with a random team + random leader that would be l337...I don't get much fun trouncing noobs/campers/runners...

Gai stuns people even more than Maxima does :D

2k2 was...choi, athena , billy raping everybody wasnt it? @_@

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Fri May 19, 2006 06:58

keep on topic please
christensenray wrote:I've seen someone (after the wall bounce) do qcb+P, qcf,hcb+P. I can't for the life of me get the DM to even come out (just get the 2nd qcb+P instead). Any pointers.
errr...u may already know, but if you do qcf+A then qcb+A and tap A again, it will automatically supercancel.

i dunno if you could try starting with qcf+A instead of qcb+A, anyway, the way u try it, its doable, just input the qcf hcb+A very fast.

SonicWaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by SonicWaver » Sat May 27, 2006 12:40

Oswald´s truth about Ace´s final hit

enjoy (although i got it by viewing the video...may somebody translate the text in it? just for curiosity...)

now i know Why Derrick had almost the same probability with df+A than when i used qcb+C,qcf+C, qcf+D, Ace

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Sun May 28, 2006 05:05

hmmm, just something that i thought of the other day, which looks like should hit....but will try soon

opponent in corner, crossup jump c, crouching b, crouching a, qcb A/C, qcf B/D (depending on distance), qcf A/C, opponent now in corner, d/f A, qcb B, d/f A, qcb B, qcf A/C, qcf B, qcb A/C, XX LDM