Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON
Re: KOF XIII General Discussion/Rant Thread

Post by Gunsmith » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:46

Seriously, if you didn't like the TE, you won't like ANY of the other modern sticks.

Did you play on bat stick in the arcades? If so, that's what you need.

Your other solutions are finding a sega saturn pad or a nicely worn in ps1 or ps2 pad with a converter. How are you playing on ggpo?

ZeroSoulreaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Hedgez
Currently Playing:KOF. MBACC,SC
PSN:Hedgez00

Post by ZeroSoulreaver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:39

The TE is the best investment I have made in the past 2 years. At first I hated it so much because it's a chore to get used to, but now I don't regret learning it at all. It's really humbling and stops you from mashing or wildly throwing out moves.

I started playing SF with a square gate which I hated so I switched to octag. right before KOFXIII and love it. You can feel every corner and angle which makes things more precise. I hated square gate because I couldn't feel anything but 4 corners which makes you gravitate to them especially if you play charge chars.

So really it could be the style of the stick top, the gate or it could be you are just adjusting to it. It just sucks to get rid of something that is such a good teaching tool.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Tue Jan 17, 2012 22:44

I own a TE (two in fact, for PS3 and Xbox) but for some reason I prefer the stick on my HRAP3. I think the gate might be smaller, which reduces the 'throw' of the stick a little and makes it easier to do moves. I haven't actually looked up the parts list for both sticks to actually verify that this is the case, though.

Kain
Charging...50%
Charging...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON
XBL:Ocelotzin
PSN:Ashlar_Kain

Post by Kain » Tue Jan 17, 2012 23:06

May be my lacking skills in English, but what's this 'gate' you are referring to?
Gunsmith wrote:Seriously, if you didn't like the TE, you won't like ANY of the other modern sticks.

Your other solutions are finding a sega saturn pad or a nicely worn in ps1 or ps2 pad with a converter. How are you playing on ggpo?
What I disliked was the ball, it was too short. The buttons were fine, the size and the weight were a bit awkward at first, but then alright.

And yup, the bat stick is/was the most common type of stick you can find in Mexico city. The ball sticks were mostly used for Pac-man style of games (or probably more expensive, which explains why it wasn't all that popular).

The only thing I didn't like of the Saturn pad were the buttons. They seemed cheap. Then we started playing and magic was being done with my hands. <3 Also, you mean PS3 pads are bad? I knew I wasn't crazy. For some odd reason, PS2 pads are better, I don't really know why.

Mature
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Mature » Wed Jan 18, 2012 01:01

Talking about sticks I have to say the HORI ones are IDEAL for kof players. the joystick makes the moves alot smoother

this one im using ATM

hope this help for some wow

Foxhole
DESU!
A.K.A.:Himono Onna/Easy Prey
Currently Playing:with Atenolol.
PSN:ELT-Jurippe

Post by Foxhole » Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:47

Kain wrote:May be my lacking skills in English, but what's this 'gate' you are referring to?
Gunsmith wrote:Seriously, if you didn't like the TE, you won't like ANY of the other modern sticks.

What I disliked was the ball, it was too short. The buttons were fine, the size and the weight were a bit awkward at first, but then alright.

And yup, the bat stick is/was the most common type of stick you can find in Mexico city. The ball sticks were mostly used for Pac-man style of games (or probably more expensive, which explains why it wasn't all that popular).

The only thing I didn't like of the Saturn pad were the buttons. They seemed cheap. Then we started playing and magic was being done with my hands. <3 Also, you mean PS3 pads are bad? I knew I wasn't crazy. For some odd reason, PS2 pads are better, I don't really know why.
If you can find an original six axis without the dual shock they're pretty good for fighters on PS3.

I've had a dual shock 3 as my second for a long time, and that bastard just won't break in no matter what.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Wed Jan 18, 2012 09:01

Mature wrote:Talking about sticks I have to say the HORI ones are IDEAL for kof players. the joystick makes the moves alot smoother

this one im using ATM

Lol, thats the same stick I use but without the picture haha.

yamazaky96
Charging...63%
Charging...63%

Post by yamazaky96 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:31

Mature wrote:Talking about sticks I have to say the HORI ones are IDEAL for kof players. the joystick makes the moves alot smoother

this one im using ATM

I agree
this is my favorite for KOF on GGPO
but I use the Qanba for KOF XIII

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Wed Jan 18, 2012 18:39

Hey Gaiz

psn is laggy - article coming soon with proof
xbl is less laggy

all new sticks with autofire and multiconsole options have lag - you saw my review of the qanba and hori vx?
and guess what, 360 mode on these sticks have less lag.

hdmi tvs have lag, u need vga.

perfect experience is a CRT tv and a stick with no features.

have a nice day

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Thu Jan 19, 2012 09:18

Are you for real?

I REALLY dont want to change all that for online, and we (fans / players) shouldnt have too...

EDIT: New vid

translation!

It seems they are going through different modes that some characters have and how it effects damage and situation wise?

KellyNUTS
I'm not a bot! :3
I'm not a bot! :3
A.K.A.:Feelin Frowggy?
Currently Playing:.

KOFXIII - Vice / Leona / EX Iori
SSF4 - Guy / Ibuki
BBCS - Litchi / Rachel
UMVC3 - Dr.Strange / Trish / Dr.Doom

Post by KellyNUTS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57

Gunsmith wrote:Hey Gaiz

psn is laggy - article coming soon with proof
xbl is less laggy
Whats new? :tease:
Are u testing this on the PS3 with 720 as native?
Also do u know if the PS3(offline) has more input latency than the X360(offline) in KOF13 as it does in other fighters?
I havent had the chance to properly test this myself as my PS3 is dead and the PS3 version I played was on a BIG HDTV & was online.

Gunsmith wrote: all new sticks with autofire and multiconsole options have lag - you saw my review of the qanba and hori vx?
and guess what, 360 mode on these sticks have less lag.
Do u know if an X360 TE modded with the chimp board will experience lag on either? Ive already got problems with it sometimes auto-disconnecting on X360, think im gonna hevto remove it. Wish toodles told me before I bought it! D:
Did u get to test the Qanba on a X360 at all? Or just on PS3 in X360 mode?
Gunsmith wrote: hdmi tvs have lag, u need vga.

perfect experience is a CRT tv and a stick with no features.

have a nice day
Does this apply to monitors with quick response time? (with KOF)
I use a low lag monitor, if I use VGA instead of HDMI will that give me even quicker response time?
Using HDMI cables I can feel a world of difference in lag between my 24" monitor & my 50" HDTV.
Also ive tried switching from HDTV to SDTV once before with SSF4 and the game seems to play slower(good thing), but it took me awhile to get used to the speed. Which is a doozy cos who else uses SD these days for games.
Would be good if a respected dev(or someone with this kinda authority) came out and told us what the ultimate setup is after CRT.

Sorry for the interrogation, I heavily rely on muscle memory to play fighters and im after the ultimate HD setup myself.

Mature
Charging...69%
Charging...69%

Post by Mature » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50

to make lag more bearable you need to set up a static IP too for your PS3 :D

Musolini
Charging...15%
Charging...15%
PSN:Musolini187

Post by Musolini » Thu Jan 19, 2012 17:35

i use a smaller lcd with minimal lag and on component on ps3. friend of mine uses 360 on crt and the timings are identical. both consoles lag more on a nice big led screen, so fuck that (even though the shit looks so purty). the difference between online on 360 and ps3 is minimal, unnoticeable almost. that being said both are crap and have huge input leniency compared to offline. on the controller issues, i really dont know. i play on analog on ds3 and yeah it sucks, but inputs feel the same as on friends 360 with te stick. my lil bro will be bringing me 2 neo usb pads when he returns from japan, and i expect them to have nog lag at all. i love the pads, i think ive killed 6 or 7 of these during my neo cd years from 94 to 99. those where some great years though, and i think i read that the build quality is also slightly better than the og neo cd ones. i love that d-pad/thumb-stick, but shit doesn't last very long.

p.s. anybody here use the marvel 360 pelican pad? is it as good and precise as the neo cd one.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Jan 20, 2012 23:19

Just a quick note, I'm gonna post more about the lag thing later, as I'm preparing a big article about it.

ZeroSoulreaver
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!
A.K.A.:Hedgez
Currently Playing:KOF. MBACC,SC
PSN:Hedgez00

Post by ZeroSoulreaver » Sat Jan 21, 2012 17:22

I'm considering getting KOFXIII on 360 since I got a 360 for x-mas. So that will be an interesting little write up to read from you Gunsmith.

I was proud to see KOF at Next Level last night. Sadly I couldn't go because I heard it was going to snow :(. Hopefully they have more KOF tornys so I can go and get some exp. I know everyone was complaining that the guys played horrible but NY has little to no KOF torny experience. It shows that East coast NY needs to play more than just SF and Marvel more often.