A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron
Re: KOF XIII: Clark Steel

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:17

So, basically, by some sort of influence a large string of Clark players have been showing up over here, this probably all started as the source of all evil (aka me) discovered the logistics behind the gatling attack combo (we usually imitate Shoki's voice amidst combo and start GATURINGU, GATURINGU!).

Clark has the characteristic that he has it pretty easy when it comes to getting close to half life damage, but going beyond that is a little bit too difficult, so it's always the better choice to stick to short combos as pretty much with two "one drive, one bar" combos the match can be settled. After a long period of experimentation we kinda settled a consensus on the most usable basic combos when it comes to 'cost / execution / damage / timing' balance :

Notes -> the basic ~ basic no gauge combos are pretty much covered at the start of the thread, so I'll pretty much cover basic basic gauge combos, I'll put some execution advises at the end.

+ cr .B , cr .A , sonicboom .A , Tap .A (1 hit) [DC] sonicboom .C (2 hits) , sonicboom .C , sonicboom .A , sonicboom .A , Hi Jump .D
With 345 damage it's pretty strong for a single Drive from a low and nothing else. This combo only works if the enemy is far from the corner, else the "Tap .A" part will whiff and thus you'll be left open.

+ cr .B , cr .A , sonicboom EX , Tap .A (1 hit) [DC] sonicboom .C (2 hits) , sonicboom .C , sonicboom .A , sonicboom .A , Hi Jump .D
With 380 damage, there isn't much difference from the previous combo at first glance, but execution wise this one is much simpler and it works in the corner. If the enemy is in the corner by the time the EX hits you can have the Vulcan punch hit 3 times instead of 1 before the DC and it will still work.

-- Corner Only --

+ cls .C (1 hit), df .A , Tap .A (4 hits) , sonicboom .A , Hi Jump .D
For 295 points, it's pretty good and it doesn't cost anything. The true charm of this combo is that you don't need to be charging anything before connecting the first hit. If you are too far from the corner, then the Vulcan Punch won't hit 4 times.

+ cls .D , sonicboom .C , Tap .A (4 hits) , sonicboom .A , Hi Jump .D
Scores 326 damage, obviously needs a charge but it's active range before the corner is pretty big.

+ cls .D , df .A , Tap .A .C (3 hits) [DC] sonicboom .C , Tap .A (4 hits) , sonicboom .A , Hi Jump .D
A combination of the 2 first combos, it hurts for 415. The remember to be strict with the timing for the DC or the gatling attack will be to late and will get blocked. Too bad you can't DC the 4 hit of the EX vulcan.

+ cr .B , cr .A , sonicboom .A , sonicboom .A [DC] Tap .A (0 hit) [DC] sonicboom .C (1 hit) , sonicboom .C , sonicboom .A , sonicboom .A , Hi Jump .D
Ah, the infamous 0 frame vulcan punch cancel. This combos is mainly for use in the corner and it's probably the easiest set up to use the 0 hit cancel and thus can be mastered with some practice even if your hands are dumb with this (mines are), worth 361 damage. Remember that due to the 0 frame thing, despise using DC twice you only spend one drive cancel meter wise.

-- HD Mode --

+ Far .D [HD] cls .C , HCB HCB .C [Max Can] HCB HCB .B .D
Has pretty big range and is a joke execution wise, wastes 3 meters and does 753 damage.

+ cr .B , cr .B [HD] , cr .C , sonicboom .C (2 hits) , HCB HCB .C [Max] HCB x2 .B .D
Does 715 damage and I find it much easier to HD from a cr .B than any .A

** Most of the gatling HD combos haven't really been explored here, and they are pretty hard to get to decent damage and do require good execution with the 0 frame thing.

-- Pointers --

At first doing drive cancels with the Vulcan punch looks scary and it does gives the feeling that one shouldn't bother with it, but Clark improves soo much once you get the hang of it... Basically, the secret lies in starting to tap when the previous gatling attack can't be drive cancelled, that way it doesn't matter how you tap, you won't miss use your bar. The second trick is to drive cancel the Vulcan in the exact hit that you need to cancel it, which is pretty easy with a little of practice.

The trick for the 0 frame cancel, it's pretty easy from the weak gatling attack; The main thing is that you start to input the vulcan when the first hit can't be drive canceled, and then input the C gatling when you can drive cancel the second hit of the .A gatling, in other words you buffer the vulcan in that frame where you couldn't input anything.

To land 2 .A gatlings when juggling, the key is to delay the first one as much as possible when comboing. This takes a while to take used to and it's a little bit more difficult on slim characters, there are many complicated tricks to do this, but they hardly help and whiffing leaves you open to a combo; so I simply advise you to do it as natural as you can and trying to delay it a little, if you see that it hits early, do only one and the jumping, and if it's hit deep then do another one. The more you'll do this, the more you'll get used to it :>

Most of the combos do "pretty low damage", because damage is recorded from a cr .B, the usual "post step" situations; if you start from hard attacks damage is much satisfactory. Also, once you get the whole combo mechanics thing going in your head your main damage with Clark won't be simply landing combos, but rather will be counter attacks from the invincible EX gatling and doing nifty extensions to it; before long you'll be like Myu doing something like 8 Gatlings in a single combo, har har.

Gunsmith
Posts too much
A.K.A.:<3 dead French characters
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Ni No Kuni, Yatagarasu, P4A
XBL:Orochi Gunsmith
PSN:Gunsmith-ON

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 13:04

Need more help on those gatling Ax2 combos. Still can't land them.

*edit, oh wait, I got it now, really gotta wait for the first gatling to land as late as possible, then IMMEDIATELY do the next gatling afterwards.

The 0 frame DC is easier!

*edit no it's f*cking not.

*added this stuff to the wiki.

EDIT 3

Ok it's the Gatling A Rapid A (1hit) Gatling C that has me totally stumped.

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 16:10

combo updates as it happens folks!

Have to admit, I thought both A and C Vulcans were the same in property. WOah. Need to relook at other combos AGAIN.

Edit... waitaminute.... wtf.... they are the same?!?

It seems you need to hit rapid P as soon as the last gatling hit connects and then it's ok

Edit 2. GOOD GRIEF THIS IS HARD. It works 1/5 times!

And the stun combo is another story lol

buffering df A into Gatling? Eeech

Gunsmith
Posts too much

Post by Gunsmith » Mon May 20, 2013 12:50

I don't think it's worth adding to the wiki so I'll just ram this here

Sogetsu
Charging...80%
Charging...80%
A.K.A.:Anime Fan

Post by Sogetsu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 22:16

Sorry, but I still can't perform the Gatling, even alone, I have problems doing it. Is there any tip I am missing? Or is it that I am just slow to smash the buttons? I see people doing it "alone" and I got problems trying to chain it in a combo, alone it is worse -_-

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR
A.K.A.:The Devil Of Orochinagi
Currently Playing:KoF XIII, KoF 98umfe, KoF 2k2um, Bloodborne

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Tue Sep 17, 2013 00:30

you really have to mash faster, especially if you want to do the DC between bcf (back charge forward) moves.

Sogetsu
Charging...80%
Charging...80%
A.K.A.:Anime Fan

Post by Sogetsu » Tue Sep 17, 2013 01:56

Yeah, I checked and TBH I think I am slow with the joypad, so I can't fully abuse Clark neither Joe, feels bad man :'(

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48

Oh...pad :/

yeah once you are on stick it helps alot with button mashing.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 15:37

The key is to press 4 times the button in a row, don't go pass that; it's not necessary (actually, with Joe you can't go past 4, otherwise the combo will whiff).

Another key point is to actually use the index & middle finger to press the buttons, thumbs are for nubs.

Dark_Chaotix
MOAR

Post by Dark_Chaotix » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:01

Safe jump setups