KOF XIII: Shen Woo

ASH ASH ASH BORKEN
PenPen
MOAR
A.K.A.:Manipulating editor
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders
PSN:penpen35
Re: KOFXIII: Shen Woo

Post by PenPen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 14:39

So I suddenly bumped myself into HD combo world with Shen Woo where I did the SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE -> SHEN WOO UPPERCUT loop x3. But I don't know what's good to follow at the last SHEN WOO UPPERCUT. If I'm doing EX or normal SHEN WOO PUNCH to end the combo I suppose it'd be the best damage-wise, but going SSJ would help me in increasing my damage potential, and obviously Max Cancel into SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER after either supers.

Do I need to super cancel into either of these supers while in HD mode, or can these be just linked off from SHEN WOO UPPERCUT?

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Fri Dec 10, 2010 04:53

PenPen wrote:Do I need to super cancel into either of these supers while in HD mode, or can these be just linked off from SHEN WOO UPPERCUT?
Link is good enough.

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by Kane317 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:02

PenPen wrote:So I suddenly bumped myself into HD combo world with Shen Woo where I did the SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE -> SHEN WOO UPPERCUT loop x3. But I don't know what's good to follow at the last SHEN WOO UPPERCUT. If I'm doing EX or normal SHEN WOO PUNCH to end the combo I suppose it'd be the best damage-wise, but going SSJ would help me in increasing my damage potential, and obviously Max Cancel into SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER after either supers.

Do I need to super cancel into either of these supers while in HD mode, or can these be just linked off from SHEN WOO UPPERCUT?
If my combo isn't going to finish them, I'll go into SSJ; if I know the extra damage from the Ex qcf x2 P DM will finish them, then I'll do that instead. Fortunately due to his juggles, you won't need to SC either one of his Ex DMs.

This is probably the most reliable combo since you can do it mid screen: s.C/d.C, f.B, HD, s.C, f.B, qcb A.qcf A, ([HDC] qcf D, [HDC] qcf C, qcf A) x3, CABC. (2 stocks 818dmg / 822dmg if you do Ex qcf x2+AC instead)

PenPen
MOAR
Currently Playing:KOF XIII, Initial D: v6, Football Manager 2011, Dungeon Defenders

Post by PenPen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 15:11

Ah, that's a good way of determining how to finish it.

By the way, in your vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMFqrGXypI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, how the heck do I do the sweep into BC SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE? Low D and then do qcf .B .C ?

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08

PenPen wrote:Ah, that's a good way of determining how to finish it.

By the way, in your vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMFqrGXypI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, how the heck do I do the sweep into BC SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE? Low D and then do qcf .B .C ?
I'll ask him tomorrow but if I remember correctly he just did it manually: d.D, BC, qcf+C hold real quickly. I think if you cancel off a move into qcf+BC it'll do qcf B but I need to check that.

UPDATE: He said he did it manually: d.D, BC, qcf+C (hold C)
Last edited by Kane317 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Robocop Two
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by Robocop Two » Wed Dec 15, 2010 13:49

SO who or what type of characters give Shen a problem in this version? I would imagine good zoners like Yuri and Robert would give Shen a hard time no? Pressure like Duo-Lon might too due to no reversal for Shen? for the same reason grab characters might be better equipped to go up against him?

What do people here think?

Kane317
Almost there! ...39%
Almost there! ...39%

Post by Kane317 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:08

Robocop Two wrote:SO who or what type of characters give Shen a problem in this version? I would imagine good zoners like Yuri and Robert would give Shen a hard time no? Pressure like Duo-Lon might too due to no reversal for Shen? for the same reason grab characters might be better equipped to go up against him?

What do people here think?
I've played a lot of Shen in XIII, probably have been in 80% of my games but the short answer is: he doesn't have any, but he doesn't really dominate anyone in particular in return either (even projectile characters).

If you examine his weaknesses:
Shen obviously lacks a good dp but fortunately his far C+autoguard+SC'able is pretty BS if you ask me (this coming from a user is saying a lot) and if you do it pre-emptively d.C and qcf+K still work (kinda). Anyone that can harass him coz of that, would fit the description. Iori comes to mind since his hop is relatively fast, you'll find a mistimed Far C becoming a close C really common. Of course Iori can also cross him up and is just fast in general.

Characters that have taller jump arc such as Mai, Beni, Duo Lon etc. also help get past his Far C and can hassle him a lot.

Lastly, small crouching characters like Iori, Ash, Chin, Mature, Beni, Kim etc. are hard to hit since Shen's air-to-ground hitboxes aren't the best for small characters and will outright miss a lot. Ash in particular is hard to hit if he's crouching and only his j.A (lousy range) really hits Ash. Remember, Shen doesn't have any reliable crossups.

Robocop Two
Charging...76%
Charging...76%

Post by Robocop Two » Thu Dec 23, 2010 13:48

Kane317 wrote:I've played a lot of Shen in XIII, probably have been in 80% of my games but the short answer is: he doesn't have any, but he doesn't really dominate anyone in particular in return either (even projectile characters).

If you examine his weaknesses:
Shen obviously lacks a good dp but fortunately his far C+autoguard+SC'able is pretty BS if you ask me (this coming from a user is saying a lot) and if you do it pre-emptively d.C and qcf+K still work (kinda). Anyone that can harass him coz of that, would fit the description. Iori comes to mind since his hop is relatively fast, you'll find a mistimed Far C becoming a close C really common. Of course Iori can also cross him up and is just fast in general.

Characters that have taller jump arc such as Mai, Beni, Duo Lon etc. also help get past his Far C and can hassle him a lot.

Lastly, small crouching characters like Iori, Ash, Chin, Mature, Beni, Kim etc. are hard to hit since Shen's air-to-ground hitboxes aren't the best for small characters and will outright miss a lot. Ash in particular is hard to hit if he's crouching and only his j.A (lousy range) really hits Ash. Remember, Shen doesn't have any reliable crossups.
Yeah I would of thought Iori and maybe a good grab character like Diamon would of given him trouble purely on his defensive side but I didn't think about jumping arcs and certainly didn't think of crouching state and how easy it is to hit a crouched opponent.
Iori came to mind because he is like Shen in a way and can pressure his and mix him up and because Shen doesn't have a dragon, as long as Iori plays smartly it should all go well but if Shen applies pressure then Iori still has a dragon (every if it is crap).
I thought Diamon might be good because Shen can't really keep Diamon out apart from f.C, cr.D and f.D, he just has to run away and find a spot to build his own pressure from where as Diamon just has good buttons (well usually has really good buttons) and his grab mix-ups can't really be escaped with a reversal because he doesn't have one.

How many people are using Diamon over there by the by?

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Fri Dec 24, 2010 06:38

I'm guessing by what's posted here that if you combo into the SSJ mode, it won't hit but sets you up for further combos like in XI?

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 17:57

Tel wrote:I'm guessing by what's posted here that if you combo into the SSJ mode, it won't hit but sets you up for further combos like in XI?
No, it hits regardless. But it comes out instantly.

I haven't tried but I suppose you can do a simple HD combo like this?

.C -> fwd .B (SHEN WOO KICK) -> .B .C -> .C -> fwd .B (SHEN WOO KICK) -> qcf .A (SHEN WOO PUNCH LITE) -> (SC) .C .A .B .C (SHEN WOO GOES SSJ) -> (Max Cancel) QCFHCB .A .C (SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER)

I haven't tried this, so it's purely hypothetical. But in the corner with a full HD bar, you can do so much more than that and don't need to worry about whether his SSJ will connect or not.

Tel
Higashi Hurricane
Higashi Hurricane

Post by Tel » Sat Dec 25, 2010 05:07

Whoa, that's something to consider. I accidentally went into practice mode with Shen while playing in the arcade (I had no idea how it's done), and for some reason, I never bothered trying if his old 2k3 LDM combo activation still works: Close .C, tap .A, fwd .B then .C to link his standing C into f+B into LDM. I didn't have to do that in XI since the input buffering time is much more lax in combos in XI than when used standalone.

But going back on topic, that combo you posted is something I'm really keen to try, as many of Shen's HD mode combos are within my skill range. I have done the simpler one of canceling his SHEN WOO PUNCH into the Neo Max, I never gave the LDM much testing since I assumed it worked like in XI.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sat Dec 25, 2010 05:26

Again I don't know whether it works. The going into SSJ part will blast off the opponent anyway.

You can enter practice mode by pressing any button with start at the same time.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 15:09

Well I tried that combo and it's doable when you're starting to get close to the corner. Otherwise it won't work, as SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER won't connect.

Toxic Avanger
Maxed Out?!
A.K.A.:Robot de Vapor
Currently Playing:KoF XIII
TTT2
Dragon's Crown
SNK PS2 NeoGeo Collections
PSN:Toxic-Baron

Post by Toxic Avanger » Sun Jan 02, 2011 17:21

PenPen wrote:Well I tried that combo and it's doable when you're starting to get close to the corner. Otherwise it won't work, as SHEN WOO HEAVENBREAKER won't connect.
You can Max cancel the SSJ into the Neo max, so it should connect like that, unless you don't have enough bar or something.

PenPen
MOAR

Post by PenPen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 19:12

No, it's a distance issue. The dashing forward part doesn't connect outside the corner after a max cancel from SSJ, and I've tried it a few times already.