Shen (XI)

Strats, combos, technical discussion.
Ratix0
Maxed Out! SDM time!
Maxed Out! SDM time!

Post by Ratix0 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 08:42

Jump C/D> s.C> f+B> qcf+P (hold)> K (cancel qcf+P)> jump D.
Yep. I've been using that since XI came out. In XI, his Shen Woo Punch's Cancel is EVEN better, because you can cancel it immediately after you start the shen woo punch. Wherelse in 2k3, there is a short while at the start which you can't cancel.

Mix em up, Jump D, C, f+B, f+C, or Jump D, C, f+B, QCF+A, D, or Jump D, C, f+B, QCB+E, C etc.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Sun Mar 05, 2006 23:04

Got to play a little bit at my local arcade. And I definately had some fun testing out Shen's new shit, and his newer command normals. Heres some stuff.

- f+B is a GREAT poke, has awesome range, and can followup with f+C, the f+C is great on block, has low recovery time and moves you forward (the only direction Shen should know).

- st.E is amazing for meaty games, free knock down on hit, qcf+E cancel on block can mix up into anything.

- far st.C is an amazing poke, even if you're not expecting to use the autoguard properties, I stuck it out even hoping for the autoguard (and trying to time it as well) and the fist just stays out seemingly forever.

I know that most of this stuff is common place (and even possibly reposts) but I just want to reaffirm it for everyone.

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%
A.K.A.:Turned ON

Post by frionel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 23:52

And you'll see, when you'll master the autoguard timing, how his far standing C is an amazing attack!

It gives him one of the best "safe" anti hops in the game ^^

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Mon Mar 06, 2006 05:42

Stand C really changes *a lot* of match ups for Shen. Its his best anti-air, after C Shen Woo Punch. The fact that its also a poke makes it just :D

Kyo and Oswald especially just die, once you start learning how to zone with it. Kula also becomes a much more manageable fight. But it take practice. Screwing up one stand C against Kula and eating a 75% no-skill combo is not fun.

The other defensive move Woo players need to learn is d.C which covers the whole area above him, but needs to be done semi-early. Important against Malin who can cover the whole screen with one super jump and lock you down the moment she touches you.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Tue Mar 07, 2006 01:08

whats up with shens close st.C? I can't do meaty wakeups with it I usually just get punished. Or am I just timing it wrong for wake up?

frionel
Powering up...50%
Powering up...50%

Post by frionel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 03:56

since it has a fast start up, you have to wait a little, to make meaty wake up games with it, but it can be really effective... just a question of timming

you can also use his standing close D

AcidicEnema
ON Elite Spammer
ON Elite Spammer

Post by AcidicEnema » Tue Mar 07, 2006 06:11

One thing about using the close stand C as a meaty tho, is that it recovers quite slowly. So if the opponent rolls, you're vulnerable (unlike, say, Malin and Kula :mad:).

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Tue Mar 07, 2006 08:17

so what's a better meaty attack? I've been testing out st.E and I have to say I like it alot. I like the timing that you get on a blocked st.E and cancelling into qcf+E.

I was testing f+B as meaty today and I like it a lot personally, its a good free knockdown if you follow up with f+C.

I still can't get the d.Bx2 xx qcfx2 + K combo, is it a link?

Iie-Kyo
Almost there! ...52%
Almost there! ...52%
A.K.A.:OG KOF Player
Currently Playing:Turn this currently playing sth off plz.

Post by Iie-Kyo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 16:26

flipONE wrote:so what's a better meaty attack? I've been testing out st.E and I have to say I like it alot. I like the timing that you get on a blocked st.E and cancelling into qcf+E.

I was testing f+B as meaty today and I like it a lot personally, its a good free knockdown if you follow up with f+C.

I still can't get the d.Bx2 xx qcfx2 + K combo, is it a link?
Std D is a good meaty, it still retains much of its properties from 2k3 - it stays there in the opponents face as they're getting up.

d. B x 2 -> qcf x 2 + K is a link combo. You're better off just doing d. B d. A, since that's easier to do.

But then again, the only time I find myself hitting with the SHEN WOO HEADBUTT now is after a SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO.

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Wed Mar 08, 2006 01:30

Ok so here's a question that came up today...

The SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO is hcb,f+C. Is it a grab or is it a hit into another free hit?

the only thing that the outcome of that question changes is the number of combo hits.

i.e.

j.D, st.C, f+B, f+C, hcb,f+C xx qcfx2 +K.

now if the autocombo is a hit, that should land around 10 or so hits right?
If it's not a hit than it should be a setup for hcb,f+C xx qcfx2 +K because the way f+C abruptly stops in your opponents face.

SonicTempest
Posts too much
A.K.A.:>8|
Currently Playing:Dark Souls II
XBL:SonicTempest84
PSN:SonicTempest

Post by SonicTempest » Wed Mar 08, 2006 01:36

It's not a combo, it's a setup.
And I don't think HCB,f+P combos from anything anyway...

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 02:53

i'm pretty sure properties are somewhat like 2k3 in the sense that it's a mix between a grab and a hit. in 2k3 his bitchslap could catch rollers, and i'm pretty sure i've caught rollers more than once in XI

flipONE
Charging...90%
Charging...90%

Post by flipONE » Thu Mar 09, 2006 05:54

Ok, got through a bunch of playing today, and I have to say:

Shen Woo sucks at building meter. They toned down the massive meter gained from qcb+A,qcf+A and his combos repeated doesn't really build meter that well.

So what does that leave Shen to do? Use meter, use meter, use meter. d.B, d.A into headbutt, st.C, f+B, qcf+P into super punch or headbutt in corner. Problems with jump ins? Headbutt. And in my favorite case DC into his LDM and start some havoc.

His new grab move (SHEN WOO AUTOCOMBO) has much different timing, well. Rather, the miss animation comes out but is also the first hit (if it does hit) which is unblockable and comes out at a somewhat slower grab speed (6 frames?). After st.C, f+B, f+C the autocombo hits wonderfully, allowing you to either: stick your fist out (st.C) and see if they run into it, qcf+A and hope your fist runs into them (blocked or not it still works), qcb+E as an attempt to dodge a move that your opponent hopes to counter the recovery time on the auto combo, and of course super cancel into the headbutt.

I pretty much view the new Shen is that he has amazing pokes and can use meter extremely well. He is still the extremely offensive we all love. But I think SNK developed him more as a character. Shens now much more of a street brawler in this game. Using dirty tricks to land huge hits and go for the most damage as fast as possible. Unfortunately he doesn't build meter as fast as other characters in the game. Float like a butter fly with rocket launchers for fists.

I suggest Shen to be the 2nd, char you bring in if you don't switch out. If you don't have a great leader for your team than use Shen. His j.D, st.C, f+B, f+C (before opponent reacts) hcb,f+C xx HeadButt xDCx PowerUp st.C, qcb+A, qcf+A combo does massive damage. If you're ballsy, you can go for another set up of the f+B, f+C.

~!T.T!~
Almost there! ...9%
Almost there! ...9%

Post by ~!T.T!~ » Thu Mar 09, 2006 09:59

actually i find shen woo autocombo builds about 30% of meter upon landing. Besides, he's really safe now, which is something he really, really needed.....

Geese
Powering up...61%
Powering up...61%

Post by Geese » Thu Mar 09, 2006 13:45

actually I too have no problem building meter with Shen. Jump D, stand C, Forward B, Forward C (or qcf A) is safe on block and it builds about 3/4 bar.
Plus if you use him ultra offensively, you will definitely wont have problems.